Graduating in May, Job Search Advice?

Hey Guys,

I'm graduating in May from Northeastern University, (Boston, MA) and was wondering if any one had any job search advice, positive experiences, great companies, etc. 

I've been doing the basics so far; going to job fairs, looking into our career services, searching companies on LinkedIn. Even though I know I have a few months to go I've been getting a little stressed out and want to make sure I do all that I can. 

I'm a dual major, Marketing and Finance for reference. 

Past experiences include an investment company as well as an athletic brand in corporate, among others. 

Thanks

Last edited:
Shouldn't you've been doing internships throughout college to safely secure a job after finishing undergrad? With that experience, finding a job would be extremely easier because of the job related knowledge you've accumulated over the years.

Marking and Finance?  Tuff field... 

^ Yes, I did. Had 3 main internships, two of which I didn't really love by the end and wouldn't want to pursue long term. The other, I'm in the process of reaching out to, but I don't think they have any current openings 
ohwell.gif
. Maybe I'll get lucky with connections. 

^ Yes, I did. Had 3 main internships, two of which I didn't really love by the end and wouldn't want to pursue long term. The other, I'm in the process of reaching out to, but I don't think they have any current openings 
ohwell.gif
. Maybe I'll get lucky with connections. 
Marketing is really a fluff major, tbh.

It's very late in the recruiting season now; you'll have to keep cold-emailing, hitting up alumni, and applying to everything. The most important thing is to talk to people and know exactly what you want to do.

No more of this "maybe I'll get lucky" BS. The market right now isn't kind to many. Go get it.

PS - Happy to look over your resume if you want to shoot it over.

Marketing is really a fluff major, tbh.

It's very late in the recruiting season now; you'll have to keep cold-emailing, hitting up alumni, and applying to everything. The most important thing is to talk to people and know exactly what you want to do.

No more of this "maybe I'll get lucky" BS. The market right now isn't kind to many. Go get it.

PS - Happy to look over your resume if you want to shoot it over.
marketing major and I'm flourishing, b

do you work for a firm?
nope. Used it to get a great sales job out of college where I made more money than when I went corporate.

I actually took a step back when I went into a corporate finance role...

I'm in PE now, and I think the marketing (sales) aspect will help me later in my career.

@Fontaine  PE, Press Enterprise? 

What does one do for a corporate when majoring in Marketing? i.g: You market a product? ?

@Fontaine
 PE, Press Enterprise? 

What does one do for a corporate when majoring in Marketing? i.g: You market a product? ?
private equity.

With marketing, it can be one of the most important aspect of a company.

I worked for a top 15 company of the fortune 500, and our marketing people got paid the highest of any org.

Higher than operations, finance, hr, etc...

Marketing is about getting the product to the people, in front of the people, etc.

This includes advertising, pricing, marketing analytics (searching for trends) and psychology.

I can gurabtee you firms like Verizon, geico, and McDonalds pay their marketing people HUGE bucks.

Marketing managers average CRAZY salaries...

And Mich of those sales people who outpace everyone in the company have marketing backgrounds.

I find for corporate jobs that companies actually use Monster.com a lot.

But it seems like you are covering your bases on things. Just apply to companies and let it me know that you are searching for a job. Someone is bound to hire you. Companies now a days are all looking for freshies straight out of college now.

Graduating from northeastern?

Use them alumni connects...

Search the database for old alumni. You'll definitely find a lot of finance people in the Boston to new York area.

Also, apply through your school's career website... You'll land a jon there no problem.

How important is it to include your GPA when applying to jobs right out of college? How do I hide my low GPA?

How important is it to include your GPA when applying to jobs right out of college? How do I hide my low GPA?
Just from my past experience, some companies set a minimum and you can't avoid it. Others don't and they may never ask. 

I've always heard put it on your resume if its above a 3.0, if it's below just leave it off. 

I think it depends on your degree. You can always take a chance and just lie. Not all companies follow up on that. Believe it or not, one of the things business companies do background checks on is their credit scores. For whatever reason, they don't like hiring people that are in debt. Grades are a factor but not so much. Work history is huge and even a letter of recommendation can overlook a low GPA. Again, it depends on your degree and what you are applying for.

Congrats! Start applying, see if you can intern/extern, network, see if you have any connections(not about what you know, but who you know a lot of times). Start looking for/applying for jobs ASAP. Check your colleges career center, look for job fairs that are applicable, put your resume on careerbuilder

Back
Top Bottom