Great Read.. Bryan Russel Challenges Jordan "still got my shorts on"

Bryon Russell has a message for Michael Jordan: Whenever you're ready, I'll be waiting in California - in my basketball shorts.

"I'll play his a- right now," Russell told Yahoo! Sports. "This is a call-out for him to come play me. He can come out here in hisprivate jet and come play. He's got millions of dollars. He can pay for the jet. He can meet me at the Recreation Center in Calabasas.

"We can have Mark Jackson do the commentating. We can have Mitch Richmond do the officiating. We can put it on TV and see if Michael's still gotit."

Jordan spent much of his enshrinement speech at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame singling out players and coaches who had slighted, criticizedor motivated him. Russell merited a special mention.

After Jordan's first retirement from the NBA, he was playing minor-league baseball and stopped by the Chicago Bulls' practice facility, where the Utah Jazz were working out. Jordan said Russell, then a rookie with the Jazz,introduced himself and challenged him.

"…At this time I had no thoughts of coming back and playing the game of basketball," Jordan said during his speech. "Bryon Russell came overto me and said, 'Why'd you quit? You know I could guard you. If I ever see you in a pair of shorts…'

"When I did come back in 1995 and we played Utah in '96, I'm at the center circle and Bryon Russell is standing next to me. I said, 'Youremember the [comments] you made in 1994 about, 'I think I can guard you, I can shut you down, I would love to play against you? Well, you're about toget your chance.' "

When the teams met in the '98 Finals, Jordan hit his famous championship-clinching shot after knocking Russell backward. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan andpoint guard John Stockton, who also were being inducted, both shook their heads as Jordan told the story.

"From this day forward," Jordan said, "if I ever see him in shorts, I'm coming at him."

Russell said Jordan's story was accurate and that he was honored, not offended, by his words.

"It was during my rookie year," Russell said. "He turned to Karl [Malone] and said, 'Hey Karl, is that your rookie?' I really did saythat to him. Karl was laughing and [Jordan] was laughing, too. …I guess I motivated him to come back. There had to be other reasons. You know he likes allchallenges.

"Out of all the people he came across, he thought about me. I'm happy to be in his Hall of Fame speech."

Russell said "not a single day passes" in which someone doesn't ask him about Jordan's shot over him. While playing for the Denver Nuggets, Russell and then-Nuggets interim coach Michael Cooper got in aheated debate about whether Jordan's shot over Russell or Julius Erving's famous acrobatic dunk over Cooper was more embarrassing. Looking back,Russell said he wasn't humiliated to be part of such a historic play.

"To me, that's the greatest play in basketball history," Russell said. "It will stay that way because he will always be the greatestplayer to play the game. I didn't mind. But the referees didn't make the call on the push off.

"It's long done and gone. It was a call that wasn't made on a play that was great."

Russell didn't watch the Hall of Fame induction ceremony live because he was running errands with his 11-year-old son, Brandon, in Calabasas, Calif.,but he did record it. After Jordan mentioned him, Russell received a voice message from his old Long Beach State coach, Seth Greenberg. Several other friendsand family members also called and sent him text messages. As soon as Russell got home, he rushed to the television to watch Jordan.

Jordan and Russell were teammates with the Washington Wizards duringthe 2002-03 season, Jordan's last in the NBA. Russell said Jordan never brought up the story while they were together and they never played one-on-one,either. Russell, now 38, last played in the NBA during the 2005-06 season, but he works out daily and is eager to "guard [Jordan] again and beathim."

Russell encouraged Jordan to get his phone number from a mutual friend if he's up for the challenge. Until then, he wants Jordan to know this:

"I keep my basketball shorts on."

I hope MJ goes and plays him and dunks in his face
tongue.gif

laugh.gif
Very nice read, atleast hes humble about getting humiliated like that in the shot. Sounds like a nice and very funny guy..."I keep my basketball shorts on" lol.

weak.....its only 12 years later. he just mad cause everyone remembers Russell by that moment...and that will never change.

ha he wold get owned i can beat that guy and im only a point guard in my home town remember the name josh smith ya all look for me in collage in a year thenext Steve Nash

WANTED TO BY ANY JORDAN CONCORD IN SZ 9 SIX RINGS OR 11S PM ILL TAKE 9.5 ALSO

Originally Posted by THEFRESHESTWHITEBOY301

ha he wold get owned i can beat that guy and im only a point guard in my home town remember the name josh smith ya all look for me in collage in a year the next Steve Nash

WANTED TO BY ANY JORDAN CONCORD IN SZ 9 SIX RINGS OR 11S PM ILL TAKE 9.5 ALSO
I doubt you're better than him or can beat him....I think Steve Nash can spell COLLEGE right my friend.

some people never learn. this dude got owned on more than one occasion.

smh @ bryon russell

it would be great to see them both play, im sure bryan feels mj fouled him (by using his arm to "push" him away to take that shot) when he made thatfamous shot, and im sure he hates that...yeah i think MJ would probably win.....damn mj at 46 still has it, saw a video of him dunking, not a great dunkofcourse but still, i dont know any 46 year olds doing that....

to add to my previous reply, too bad MJ's older son isnt into basketball now (heard he quit the team to do other things) but if he was, it would have greatto see another jordan in the league....obviously he probabyl wouldnt have coem close to his dads accomplsihments but still

russell gave up Utah's chance to win a championship! pathetic defense, but poor coaching to not have MJ double teamed with 10 seconds left in game 7

great read. Jordan schooled Russell numerous times. Russell needs to realize he can't guard jordan period

Russell still talkin'... MJ New Orleans exposed him w/ his HOF speech and he still talkin. WOW
eek.gif

Too funny. I'm not surprised Byron made this little challenge considering he was thinking about making an NBA comeback just recently. It would be a greatthing to have it televised or even put on youtube at the very least, ha!

nice read i hope they play each other and it is on t.v. i would love to see russell get humiliated again

Back
Top Bottom