Growing African American Hair out (or hair in general) Vol. 101

fresh112

Banned
So anyone can help with some tips, styles to leave it in. im in the middle stages where my braids arent long, and my afro is small. How can you make it grow faster? and what products make it look on point? I been growing it out since beginning of june 2011. Let me know whats up! & info on Dreads? possibly..

I'm not privy to any products that will expedite hair growth, but if naturalness drives you, then patience should be the key. As far as dreads are concerned, perhaps you've heard about the "ugly stage/phase", it's inevitable fam.

You can get dreadlock extensions though, but I don't rock with that type of ****.

So many variables in this equation. People's hair grows at different rates. It doesn't sound like your hair is that long so I would keep it cornrowed and try noth to wear the fro out too much.

If you want to go with dreads I would suggest going to a professional to get them started. It will take months for your hair to fully lock.

I want dreads too, but I refuse to go through that Chief Keef ugly phase as mentioned above.

I'm rocking the fro until my **** will be Wale/Waka Flocka length upon first dreading.

Last edited:
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I want dreads too, but I refuse to go through that Chief Keef ugly phase as mentioned above.​

I'm rocking the fro until my **** will be Wale/Waka Flocka length upon first dreading.​

It is best to start your dreads as early as possible because your hair will shrink/shrivel. I had hair past my shoulders and tried to lock my hair and it shrank to less than half of the length. I will post pics later as a comparison.

Last edited:
Nothing can really make your hair grow faster except maybe biotin and doogro. Best thing you can do is just keep your hair healthy so you won't have any bad breakage or split ends.

You're only skipping the ugly stage if you get extensions and that's essentially weave for men. Just rock hats as much as you can bruh.

I'm not privy to any products that will expedite hair growth, but if naturalness drives you, then patience should be the key. As far as dreads are concerned, perhaps you've heard about the "ugly stage/phase", it's inevitable fam.
You can get dreadlock extensions though, but I don't rock with that type of ****.
word. im reluctant to get dreads till my hair is longer. I heard of the 200% shrinkage of the hair. So I am just stuck in a phase of 9inches of hair and nothing to do.

The only way to skip the ugly stage is to rock it like Wiz and wear hats then dread it up once it gets to a decent size that way you will skip the Cheef Keef sage

The only way to skip the ugly stage is to rock it like Wiz and wear hats then dread it up once it gets to a decent size that way you will skip the Cheef Keef sage
Exactly what I'm doing. Girls say I look like Wiz x Cudi. So a win-win for me anyway.

Last edited:
Exactly what I'm doing. Girls say I look like Wiz x Cudi. So a win-win for me anyway.
Are you saying its a win because you think Wiz and Cudi look good?

nerd.gif
No it's a win because girls come up to me all the time like "You look like Wiz, You look like Cudi, etc." and I can usually parlay that into some yamb penetration

Conversation starter/Cool to have a celeb look-a-like

But nice try tho

No it's a win because girls come up to me all the time like "You look like Wiz, You look like Cudi, etc." and I can usually parlay that into some yamb penetration

Conversation starter/Cool to have a celeb look-a-like​

But nice try tho​

:lol:

Seriously though, y'all are too eager to come at each other's necks.

Last edited:

Conversation starter/Cool to have a celeb look-a-like

But nice try tho
Its cool meat meal.

Im just joshing you.. lol

on topic... 

Im also growing my hair... I do nothing to it but rub some grease in it...

the sides and back are taped tho.

im trying to get to this level.

Last edited:
Getting your hair trimmed or tapered is definitely a bad idea if you are trying to let it grow.

clean edge up will make damb near ANY hairstyle look straight on the brothas...

as long as you lined up, then you're good... no matter what the top looks like...

#comeatmefamb.

clean edge up will make damb near ANY hairstyle look straight on the brothas...
as long as you lined up, then you're good... no matter what the top looks like...
#comeatmefamb.

TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *2chainz voice*

im currently rockin this with a nice line up and chicks LOVE it! white, black, asain......you name it

Don't comb your hair and just wash your hair with a non residue shampoo every 3 to 4 days.

You can purchase some non resiude shampoo from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/  or you can do a baking soda wash followed by an avc rinse if you don't want to spend money on a non residue shampoo. For baking soda wash all you have to do is put 1/2 cup of arm and hammer baking soda and mix it with 5 cups of warm water than pour over your hair and let it sit in your hair for 15 to 20 min and then rinse it out with warm water than cold water.  You then put 1 or 2 tablespoon of avc and mix it with 4 cups of water pour that over your head and let that sit in your hair for 2 to 3 min and then rinse it out. You then let your hair air dry.

Was growing it for the entire summer and ended up cutting it on Saturday.

Can't do that growing out thing man, takes too long :smh:

Plus that feeling when your barber gives you that grade A haircut is :pimp: :pimp:

Besides,(and most importantly) dreads and braids and all that isn't good for your hair in the long run anyway...it's one of the primary reasons why I cut my braids off in the first place. All that pulling and tugging will tear your hairline apart and have your forehead looking like a plasma TV screen & it speeds up that male pattern baldness stuff.

Last edited:
Was growing it for the entire summer and ended up cutting it on Saturday.
Can't do that growing out thing man, takes too long
mean.gif

Plus that feeling when your barber gives you that grade A haircut is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Besides,(and most importantly) dreads and braids and all that isn't good for your hair in the long run anyway...it's one of the primary reasons why I cut my braids off in the first place. All that pulling and tugging will tear your hairline apart and have your forehead looking like a plasma TV screen & it speeds up that male pattern baldness stuff.
If you let your hair lock on it's own, just wash and go you won't have to worry about your hairline going back.

Back
Top Bottom