GUITAR PLAYERS/EXPERTS

So...I'm really into music and I've asked for a guitar for Christmas. I've never played before, but I do play piano. Any suggestions on what Ishould be looking for as far as acoustics are concerned? When I walk into the store w/my mother I want to have something in mind. There probably aren'ttoo many players in here, but I figured it's worth the shot. thanks in advance.
happy.gif

your best bet is a guitar center, the only place i get my guitars at. as far as a guitar to have in mind, i wouldnt worry about it, the people who work thereare the most helpful anywhere

Thanx guys. I'll be checking these suggestions out. Do you think I'll need any lessons or should I just be able to wing it on my own?

still looking? Goto sweetwater.com, they have buying guides on the website that can help you out. I'm lookin to start guitar and cop one too.

Back in 8th grade I took some lessons for a summer and learned the basics... then freshman year of college I picked it up again and just learned all the chordsand started reading tabs. If you learn the most common chords you can play a lot of popular songs. It can be a lot like reading "fake music" onpiano, if you are familiar with that style.

Originally Posted by Zierra28

Thanx guys. I'll be checking these suggestions out. Do you think I'll need any lessons or should I just be able to wing it on my own?
since you already play the piano you might be able to teach yourself, but i suggest taking some core lessons at least

I got a guitar for myself 2 weeks ago, I'm trying to get nice with it, too.
smile.gif
I'm teaching myself.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON GUITAR CENTER.

www.craigslist.com

buy a used one. you will thank me.

a guitar that has been played on sounds better than one that is brand new. and it's your first guitar, you won't be able to tell what sounds good ornot. you just want to get the basic fingering and strumming down.

If its not too late, I would recommend a Takamine Jasmine. They are pretty decent guitars and they are really cheap. You can get one for less than $130 or so.I have been playing about 5 years and it was my first guitar. Its a great guitar to learn on..What kind of music are you looking to play? I would alsorecommend picking up Eric Clapton's unplugged cd and Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College. Both of those cd's are the holy grails ofacoustic guitar music

First off you should go into the store and just get a feel for the sound of the different accoustics.. and see which ones you're most comfortable with..... next go to the ultimate-guitar forum with you're choices in mind and ask which ones are beginner friendly but also have good enough tone that'llyou'll wanna keep it...

Like dude above said initially I would go with a cheap one ~100 and after your finger got calluses and you got a couple of songs under your belt then go and doyour actual guitar shopping

Also as far as lessons go if you already know music theory from playing piano then you should be set also check out this site guitarnoise.com it has somereally good acoustic beginner lessons and a forums that on par with ultimate-guitar

^Listen to this dude.

But if you can, buy all your guitars in person. That way you know how they sound, how they sound in your climate (my dude bought himself a nice Martin thatwarps like a @+$%%$*#%+%% in the summer, garbage), etc.

Originally Posted by Tical 30

Get a bass instead, they're way better
tongue.gif

- Tical.

I'd just like to point out that I said this two SN's ago.

Oh, and definitely always play a guitar before you buy it. You never know what you'll get otherwise.

- Tical.

Back
Top Bottom