Had to pay alot to get a new alternator for my car. Did I get jipped?

Hey NT Fam,

I pulled into my driveway this morning and I see the battery indicator come on as I park. Didn't really think anything of it since I bought a battery last year and thought it jus' needed a jolt from a jumper cable. Turns out my alternator was charging my battery very very little. Mechanic asked for $330 to replace the faulty alternator, and did it same day and was clutch because I work tonight 11PM-7AM. I am saving to buy a whole new whip too smh. Did I get raped? By the way I have a 97' Toyota 4Runner (Limited Edition).

Hey NT Fam,

I pulled into my driveway this morning and I see the battery indicator come on as I park. Didn't really think anything of it since I bought a battery last year and thought it jus' needed a jolt from a jumper cable. Turns out my alternator was charging my battery very very little. Mechanic asked for $330 to replace the faulty alternator, and did it same day and was clutch because I work tonight 11PM-7AM. I am saving to buy a whole new whip too smh. Did I get raped? By the way I have a 97' Toyota 4Runner (Limited Edition).
I don't think so. Unless other "problems" come up

Ehhhhh not that much. Is it running perfect now??

I paid 164 for a AutoZone one with lifetime warranty, the first alternator I got from them was bad and the dumbass working there tried to blame me... Anyways the second one I got was good. So I wasted about three hours with running back to the store and trying to see if other parts caused the first alternator to malfunction.. and then I got a working one.

Good thing I did it myself or else that would've been expensive if I paid mechanic.

you didn't pay that much imo

No, you're good.  It's a little high, but not much.  I bought a refurbished alternator online for $150 and had it installed for $200 flat.  

Why would you ask that after the fact? If u did or didn't it doesn't matter since your problem was solved at your satisfaction with your time restrains.

depends on what you mean getting raped on the price. aside from a full blown engine overhaul, ill try to do all the work on my trucks. i have a toyota truck similar to a 4runner and have been able to do all the work myself from replacing the alternator, starter, and master cylinder to suspension components just from reading the manuals and watching youtube videos.

idk if your mechanically inclined, or even have a set of tools, but some of this stuff is pretty straightforward and hard to mess up. just a little effort.

Hey NT Fam,

yes.

the labor on changing an alternator should be around $50

you could of got a jackleg to do it for a case of beer

Ok good to know. Yeah it's running fine just now. And to seasoned vet seasoned vet damn for real? Smh

ive always owned older vehicles

one of the first things i do when i buy one i take it to AutoZone and get the free charging system check

Batteries
Alternators
Starters
are easy as hell to replace

no one should be charging anywhere near $100 to replace one unless its some rare setup thats hard to get to

Hey NT Fam,

I paid 100 for the alternator and 40 for labor on my whip, old whip and my girl car. Jus had to get my tire rods fixed due to these damn potholes $20 a side #shoutouttomymechanic

Yeah you overpaid, an alternator would run you about $150ish. So you basically paid $150 for a really simple job that should have really been a $100 at the most, some reading on forums and just looking at the car and you could have had that bad boy out in a few hours at the most. 

But your whip is working so I guess that's what really matters. 

I'm pissed reading these responses. I wasn't gonna drive around the city looking for a cheap mechanic looking for an open garage for someone to do it Same day too.

Does Autozone have people that replace alternators? Or they only have the alternator part.

I'm pissed reading these responses. I wasn't gonna drive around the city looking for a cheap mechanic looking for an open garage for someone to do it Same day too.

Does Autozone have people that replace alternators? Or they only have the alternator part.

just the part..I believe they test it for free also

Honestly doesn't sound too bad since he got you in and out...Alternators on most non American are tough to get to, he did you well getting you in and out like that, I had alternator and battery issues over the summer, and missed two days of work :smh:

I'm sick. Just seen this Duralast alternator part for $131 on autozone.com coulda' just bought that and gave it to them. Probably would have paid like $50 the most for labor. I'm sick.

Honestly doesn't sound too bad since he got you in and out...Alternators on most non American are tough to get to, he did you well getting you in and out like that, I had alternator and battery issues over the summer, and missed two days of work :smh:

Damn for real? That freakin' sucks man. I wasn't tryna miss a day of work. I need the money bad.

Damn for real? That freakin' sucks man. I wasn't tryna miss a day of work. I need the money bad.

We can tell brah :lol:
I would recommend getting a Chilton and doing some minor stuff on your own.

3rd gen nissan maxima owner here (1996), just replaced the alternator in my vehicle and dropped $500 on it. idk about your whip but the alternator in the maxima is more difficult to get to. this was for a rebuilt alternator as well, dunno what a new oem one would cost. 

hey man
you live you learn
it happens with cars
now you know

AutoZone only has the part though
they will do the check for free

years ago AutoZone would only supply the parts but recently ive seen them change batteries and even tail lights, i doubt they'll do an alternator

i will say this
since you have an older car it would be wise to find a good shop that doesnt mind if you supply your own parts

plugs
wires
cap/rotor
pcv valve
alternator
starter
battery
belts
various sensors
various filters

all of these should be fairly cheap for your year vehicle
and easy enough to diagnose.