Haiti & the Dominican Republic: An Island Divided vol. Documentary Time

I think this may have been posted once but I don't ever remember there being a thread on it. Anyways, I finally got around to watching it and its a really solid documentary on the Haitian/Dominican dichotomy. It discusses the origins and history of each nation, why Haiti is impoverished, and why Dominicans reject their African heritage. Give it a watch if you have 50 someodd minutes to spare.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-la...lic-an-island-divided-watch-full-episode/165/

P.S. - This is not an attack on the homie Ninjahood.

Did my senior seminar in college on Haiti. Such a crazy place. Their racial and class separatism is so rigid and harmful-one of the main reasons, besides colonialism, that it's so bad there and has been for a very long time. 

lived in dr for 6 years best time of my life. haiti and dr is literally separated by a little puddle of water lol i kept jumping from side to side 

Will watch on my free time, but from some of the comments it looks like the documentary is very one sided. I will reserve judgement for when I have actually seen the video tho

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Will watch on my free time, but from some of the comments it looks like the documentary is very one sided. I will reserve judgement for when I have actually seen the video tho
I didn't find it to be very one-sided imo. But that's the opinion of someone on the outside looking in. If you're referring to the lack of input on Taino heritage, it's my understanding that their impact on the cultural shaping was marginal at best.

I watched it a few months ago. I need to watch the other 3 "Black In Latin America" specials from PBS.

We need to show our boys in Haiti more respect. They did what we couldn't do. Yea they are paying for it though. SMH

First thoughts on watching is the similarities in the view of Haitian workers by the Dominicans how mexican workers are viewed by the "red blooded Americans" we have here.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I watched it a few months ago. I need to watch the other 3 "Black In Latin America" specials from PBS.

We need to show our boys in Haiti more respect. They did what we couldn't do. Yea they are paying for it though. SMH
Yeah I'ma peep the others when I get a chance. And I agree that Haiti deserves more global respect than they receive. Even as a kid I remember Haitians always being looked upon in a negative light. I never really understood why. Africans, Haitians and Mexicans were bottom rung lol.

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

First thoughts on watching is the similarities in the view of Haitian workers by the Dominicans how mexican workers are viewed by the "red blooded Americans" we have here.

There's a doc on this called 'The Price of Sugar'. I'd suggest anyone with interest in this subject to check it out. So sad...

dominicans is all about getting it in with everybody...haiti is all about the ayisyen v blanc

to this day the history supports that...nevermind slave revolts, class structure, financial engineering, diseases education, "ruling" or "founding" nation etc

Saw this documentary a couple months ago. Good lookin out DCAA.

Very sad situation what is going on on the Island of Hispaniola.
Nicolas Sarkozy is the first french president to ever visit Haiti since the rebellion centuries ago. SMH

Originally Posted by MARINADELREY

i see slavery in da dr was a big thing
^this guy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Yeah I'ma peep the others when I get a chance. And I agree that Haiti deserves more global respect than they receive. Even as a kid I remember Haitians always being looked upon in a negative light. I never really understood why. Africans, Haitians and Mexicans were bottom rung lol.
Sad to say but I remember growing up I would actually deny that I was Haitian
30t6p3b.gif

I wasn't aware of my history and what my ancestors accomplished. Now I'll rep it til the death
pimp.gif

Dominicans celebrate da independence from Haiti every year...its a national holiday.

and not for nothing, Haitians got way bigger problems then having a rivalry with us...that country is WILD corrupt, there's a reason its da poorest country in da western hemisphere.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Sad to say but I remember growing up I would not let it be known that I was Haitian
30t6p3b.gif

I wasn't aware of my history and what my ancestors accomplished. Now I'll rep it til the death
pimp.gif
Fixed. 
Certain parts of the Miami made me feel this way. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Sad to say but I remember growing up I would not let it be known that I was Haitian
30t6p3b.gif

pimp.gif
Fixed. 
Certain parts of the Miami made me feel this way. 
frown.gif

Little Haiti 
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom