Halloween: starring Jamie Lee Curtis - Executive produced by John Carpenter Oct. 2018

I think they’re saying revealing his face takes away the mystique and fear. It’s scarier to not know what he actually looks like.

fce14d18d3f75eb12544d45a92e2f5f7.jpg

Just read that the OG mask was a Captain Kirk mask they bought on Hollywood Blvd for $1.98. Widened the eyes, painted it white and called it a day :lol:

220px-Captain_kirk_publicity_photo.jpg

It’s one of the most iconic props in modern horror movie history, but what was it, anyway, and where is it now?

The first mask used for the character of Michael Myers in the now-classic John Carpenter flick Halloween (1978) was a store-bought Captain Kirk mask, made by Don Post Studios (DPS). DPS had created what are called “life casts” of various actors during production of The Devil’s Rain (1975), and these molds made of the actor’s faces were then used for facial prostheses during the melting scenes. In my old Shatnerthon post linked above, you can see Ernest Borgnine in a goat mask made from what must have been a life cast, and Ida Lupino in an eyeless mask using the same process.

Many, myself included, have thought Shatner was wearing a full mask during some scenes of The Devil’s Rain, and that exact mask was later used in Halloween. That’s not the case; in Devil’s Rain, he was only wearing a facial piece or pieces, not a full mask. The reason there is a striking similarity between the Devil’s Rain facial prostheses and the Captain Kirk mask used in Halloween is because both were made by Don Post Studios, and both made from the above life cast of William Shatner. The year after Devil’s Rain, DPS produced an entire series of “Star Trek” masks, sold in stores during the mid and late 1970s. The masks used in Halloween were the store-bought versions, chosen after considering another Don Post Studios creation: an Emmett Kelly sad clown mask. Can you imagine the nightmares?

http://shebloggedbynight.com/2013/a-very-brief-history-of-a-very-famous-halloween-mask/

Going to have to skip opening week...Sisters getting married so I’m busy with everything that involves...Next week I’m in though...

hitting up Movie Tavern for this Friday at 7:30pm

gonna be drinking some Pumkings and watching this glory

I appreciate all the sequels, and the remake. Sequel to the remake was a huge disappointment. But what originally drew me in to Halloween was how real it felt. While trying to give reason for Michael's madness, and keeping beloved character(s) alive, the series got away from realism. Just hope this time around they can find a way to keep it going without getting too crazy.

Back
Top Bottom