Happy Birthday J Dilla (Dilla Appreciation)

If nipsey hustleor that corny *$% french montana or turkish idaho whatever his name is canstay on the first page, you can be damn sure I'm getting J Dilla on the first page. Can someone tell me if tity boi as a protege or little brother named itty bitty titty? I swear, where do these guys get this names...

Tried embedding Questlove's 1 hour tribute to Dilla that was on Hot97 (I know, I know the station is trash), but yuku wouldn't allow me to embed). Here's BBC radio's tribute...Check it out...

Been rocking to Donuts all day today. True testament to his producing skills when a bunch of short looping beats still has replay value after all these years.

RIP J DILLA

I've been listening to the Questlove interview/tribute mix for the past few days.  Op, my bad if this is redundant to what you've already posted about the mix:

[h2]http://www.okayplayer.com/news/questlove-speaks-on-why-dilla-was-the-g-o-a-t-1-hour-tribute-mix.html[/h2]
[h2]Questlove Speaks on Why Dilla was the G.O.A.T. + 1-Hour Tribute Mix![/h2]by Eddie "STATS" on February 10, 2012 

If you happened to be stuck in traffic in NYC around noon today (or following @okayplayer on twitter), the god of sample-flipping was smiling on you. That’s because our own afro-rocking overlord ?uestlove was invited to hold down Mr. Cee‘s Old School at Noon slot on the infamous radio station Hot97 as part of a series Cee calls “Black Fist Fridaysâ€

c5416365c67716390152957384d6769f7d380049_r.jpg

From OkayPlayer, link here. Cool event to go to if you live in NYC...Kind of jelly...

Did we mention recently that every damn day is Dilla Day around here? We were just playing. Today is Valentine’s day. Buy your boo boo something nice and recognize the holiday by limiting your Dilla rotation to jams like this one. SUNDAY is Dilla Day (again). At least it is here in NYC, where the annual Donuts Are Forever event will be shutting down Brooklyn for the 6th year in a row. Pre-eminent DJs Neil Armstrong and Prince Paul (kids, he used to be in this group called De La Soul) will be presiding over the solemn ceremony and it promises to be off the handlebars. Find full details after the jump and cop tickets via Brooklyn Bowl.

Rare Form Presents:
DONUTS ARE FOREVER 6 WITH SPECIAL GUESTS
PRINCE PAUL
DJ NEIL ARMSTRONG
music by DJs TARA, BRINA PAYNE, ILL DIGITZ, GETLIVE!, PARLER, and exclusive 6th anniversary tees by DARIEN VICTOR BIRKS (flwrpt), hosted by TANYA MORGAN
SUN, FEBRUARY 19, 2012
DOORS: 6:00 PM / SHOW: 8:00 PM
$5.00 – $10.00
TICKETS
THIS EVENT IS 21 AND OVER

Everytime I hear a Dilla beat, I think that might be my favorite. Had that just occur with Air J XII's post of Thelonius. Good post...

For those that are Dilla and Roots fans, here's a link to Questlove's tribute mix to Dilla on NYC's Hot 97. I've been listening to this for weeks...

Yo Dilla heads. A new documentary is coming out next month. Ma Dukes is also releasing a new album. Link to Pitchfork.com post here & story below.

J Dilla EP Featuring Unreleased Tracks Coming Soon
J Dilla's DILLATROIT 12" EP will be released May 25 in the U.S. and June 12 internationally via Mahogani Music, as FACT reports. The British dance music webstore Juno has confirmed that it features 12 unreleased tracks, and is being released in partnership with the J Dilla Foundation and the Yancey Media Group.

Mahogani has also posted a brief Soundcloud sampler with excerpts from the release, cut with commentary from J Dilla's mother, Maureen "Ma Dukes" Yancey. As mentioned last weekend, she's also launched a label, Ruff Draft, where she'll issue unreleased Dilla creations.

DILLATROIT:

01 Birthright
02 Feel This #$++
03 The Best That Ever Did It
04 Lets Pray Together
05 Ride Wit It
06 Say My Name
07 Dillatroit
08 Detroit Madness
09 Possible
10 Mind Yo Business
11 Rebirth is Necessary
12 Pitfalls

CFmmmRBKQeU

never new dilla and nujabes shared a birthday, prety crazy
this joint, i could play forever. makes me wish i was a rapper, a good one

RIP.

I listen to least one Dilla track daily (depending on the shuffle mode of my iPhone). Feel blessed to be able to his music. Here's a great doc Stussy did on Dilla.

His estate was supposed to drop this vinyl figure but I haven't heard anything concrete about the release date.

Stussy - J Dilla Documentary pt I

Stussy - J Dilla Documentary pt II

Stussy - J Dilla Documentary pt III

Last edited:
I was under the impression that figure released; I'm glad to hear thatit hasn't. Now I have to keep my eye on it so I can cop. Thanks for posting those vid. 

Back
Top Bottom