Happy Birthday Robert E. Lee

As some of you may know, or may not know today is Robert E. Lee's Birthday, who although fought for what some of you may think was "the bad guys"he was still a great American who went on to do many great things after the War, and became President of one of the better private Colleges in the Country.

200px-Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

Although he was general for the Confederates, he did not support slavery whatsoever. As a matter of fact, he was AGAINST it... The only reason why he wasgeneral for the South was because he's from Virginia and he wants to support his land. Great general too, by the way. Abraham Lincoln even asked him to bethe general for the Union but he humbly refused.

Originally Posted by sStutter

BT-secede-gallery-3399.jpg

Great general. HBD.

roll.gif

While I don't agree w/ his view points on slavery, he was a very smart general and an engineer
Appreciated*

Edit:

smh.gif
My old history teacher has failed me.

She was ADAMANT that Lee was a supporter of slavery...

Thanks, not too long ago his birthday was a holiday in VA, not sure if that's true today.

One of the greatest American military generals EVER.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Only the educated will appreciate this thread, which probably makes up 5% of nt.
You calling me dumb? That there is some fighting words.....
Anyways Lee is appreciated and HBD.....and HBD to fizzy.

His pre-war and post war accomplishments should be noted (I'm not going to list them, you should really read/watch his biography). He did what he didbecause he loved his state and army, it weighed heavily on him after the war.

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

sStutter wrote:

Great general. HBD.

roll.gif

While I don't agree w/ his view points on slavery, he was a very smart general and an engineer
Appreciated*

Edit:

smh.gif

Read the post I made earlier:
Although he was general for the Confederates, he did not support slavery whatsoever. As a matter of fact, he was AGAINST it... The only reason why he was general for the South was because he's from Virginia and he wants to support his land.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Edgar Allen Poe
Dolly Parton
Me

pimp.gif

+ Me.... (Thread coming soon!)
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

LimitedRetroOG wrote:
Read the post I made earlier:
Although he was general for the Confederates, he did not support slavery whatsoever. As a matter of fact, he was AGAINST it... The only reason why he was general for the South was because he's from Virginia and he wants to support his land.

Yeah, that's why I edited my post. Thanks for the clarification. Learn something new everyday.
pimp.gif

I'll have to disagree about him being a great American. Just IMO...

Co-sign. However, he was a good general. Even though Grant was on the offensive during the Civil War all Lee had to do was defend but Lee was an excellenttactician and made some things happen. Thank God he lost though.

If he weren't a smart man... he wouldn't be in alot of History Books... You have to know him to Appreciate Grant pulling it out..

*wheew*

Lee wins Civil War = No Pink toes for Rockdeep

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

Originally Posted by sStutter

Great general. HBD.

roll.gif

Appreciated*

Edit:

smh.gif

Naw, Lee was against several of the confederacies policies (slavery especially) but he was a proud Virginian and his home-state called him to lead them sohe did what he had to do.
Now that's not to say he LOVED Black people or was an especially "good" person of course...

Here is a famous quote from Lee about Slavery...

[font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif]So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained.[/font][/font]

[font=Veranda, sans-serif]here are some of my favorite quotes from him...
[/font]
[font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif]My experience through life has convinced me that, while moderation and temperance in all things are commendable and beneficial, abstinence from spirituous liquors is the best safeguard of morals and health[/font][/font][/font]

[font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif]my favorite...[/font][/font]
[font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif]The gentleman does not needlessly and unnecessarily remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He can not only forgive; he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which imparts sufficient strength to let the past be put the past.[/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif]Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one.[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif][font=Veranda, sans-serif]
[/font][/font][/font][/font]

LOL @ the pic
Also LOL at the fact that he doesn't have a DAY, and MLK does.
Why don't we just celebrate Adolf Hitlers BDAY too, because he made things happen for Germany.

This is the only General Lee I like because I'm not a HERB

299435583.jpg

Back
Top Bottom