Harnessing Hip-Hop to teach students.....

First thing I would tell those kids if that those artists are ENTERTAINERS. View them as actors/cartoon characters. Not as real people. Don't try to be like them.

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

Harnessing Hip-hop to teach kids to me is such a bad idea

Why do you say that?

Because much of Hip-Hop is fiction and does nothing but promote ignorance and a lack of critical thinking

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

First thing I would tell those kids if that those artists are ENTERTAINERS. View them as actors/cartoon characters. Not as real people. Don't try to be like them.

Exactly. I don't want my kids "learning" from semi-illiterate musicians with half @#$ "knowledge"
laugh.gif
Watching Boyz in The Hood>>>>>>>>>listening to NWA's "social commentary about the streets"
eyes.gif
(Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy their music
laugh.gif
) Besides, most "Educational" hip hop songs just talk about all black people being descendants of Egyptian scholars and engineers

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Exactly. I don't want my kids "learning" from semi-illiterate musicians with half @#$ "knowledge"
laugh.gif
Watching Boyz in The Hood>>>>>>>>>listening to NWA's "social commentary about the streets"
eyes.gif
(Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy their music
laugh.gif
) Besides, most "Educational" hip hop songs just talk about all black people being descendants of Egyptian scholars and engineers
i agree

To be honest.

Hip Hop has taught me nothing. But to create Hip Hop to teach is a different story. To make a song about greenhouse effect just seems corny to me and would speed up my falling asleep process.

....sounds like a lot of one sided thinking in here.

...you mean to tell me an English Teacher wouldnt be smart to try using a Hip-Hop song for an English Literature assignment for students uninterested in English Lit otherwise? i mean, if it sparks their interest enough to do the work? right?

When I saw this thread I instantly thought of this...

and one word; corny.

It could work as a way for kids to memorize things, but in order for that to work, it would have to be done by someone with enough clout for the kids to listen to. I could see kids spitting lyrics to recall an answer to a test question, but outside of that, how far do the same kids have to take it? I think this is an attempt to dumb down learning and assumes that "certain kids" can't learn the same way everyone else does.

The problem is that in the "real world" no one is going to rap the answer to you on your job or when tackling a complex problem. You may have to crack open a boring book or attend a boring training session and actually take in, analyze and apply what you've learned from standard methods.

That just seems like fail. Hip hop can drop one or two history lessons but outside of that it should be all stories snd music. You can not teach serious in deep lesson through it. Thats just corny

Harnessing Hip-hop to teach kids to me is such a bad idea

Why do you say that?

Because much of Hip-Hop is fiction and does nothing but promote ignorance and a lack of critical thinking
Dont know what kind of music you're listening to, but what i listen to does the exact opposite. 
Its a new way to teach and students are reacting to it well. 

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

Why do you say that?

Dont know what kind of music you're listening to, but what i listen to does the exact opposite. 
Its a new way to teach and students are reacting to it well. 

This is what I was getting at. I can't find it but not to long ago Disney sponsored Hip Hop Harry and it worked for some, obviously not everyone was on board. But it at least offered another avenue for learning. It's the same idea as schools trying to utilize Facebook in the classroom. From experience, we learned about Reconstruction by putting it to music. I barely remember anything from GA Studies but I remember my rap. People are quick to dismiss new ideas but have no problem trashing the educational system.

Oh YoU MaD wrote:
ElCatfisho wrote:
w
��
First time hearing and listening to this. Thanks for posting

We need more music like this
tired.gif

eek.gif

...and we wonder whats wrong with hiphop?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

Why do you say that?

Dont know what kind of music you're listening to, but what i listen to does the exact opposite.�
Its a new way to teach and students are reacting to it well.�

......yeah, its comments like these that say so much about those that make them.

...its like me saying movies is mostly all sex and violence, when there's a WIDE RANGE of films from one spectrum to the other. its all about what you choose to watch. and spare me with the 'most popular' argument. its popular because people dont support the alternative, the same people accusing hiphop of being mostly about money, *++@, and clothes,�be the same ones bumping Waka and company.

Originally Posted by Brolic Scholar

and one word; corny.

It could work as a way for kids to memorize things, but in order for that to work, it would have to be done by someone with enough clout for the kids to listen to. I could see kids spitting lyrics to recall an answer to a test question, but outside of that, how far do the same kids have to take it? I think this is an attempt to dumb down learning and assumes that "certain kids" can't learn the same way everyone else does.

The problem is that in the "real world" no one is going to rap the answer to you on your job or when tackling a complex problem. You may have to crack open a boring book or attend a boring training session and actually take in, analyze and apply what you've learned from standard methods.

the problem isnt how they learn but what they learn. vast majority of what is taught in school is filler, irrelevant and unimportant. rap could work if the rappers rapped about not what they got and all they got, but how they obtained and earned it. its more success to rap about how you got 10 cars, houses etc... then rapping about yea i got them.

I think that could possibly work. But making songs about dinosaurs, element chart, shakespeare etc... will just be just as pointless as it is children learning it in the traditional methods used today.

On an average day how often do you use managing a budget, paying bills etc.... vs. the dietary habits of a t-rex, or the conflict interest in othello. Which is more prelevant in your day to day living... understanding credit and interest, calculating household cost or what year chris columbus so called found the americas or how to make a mock volcano with baking soda?

Originally Posted by Deuce King

It sounds like a very good teaching tool or an option. 

^ this guy gets it.

...teaching TOOL.

A Concerned Educator:
the untapped potential for integrating rap into the classroom is infinite.

no, not have a corny white math teacher rap math facts

but to define onomonopia, then use an example from RAP?

to define enjambment then use an example from RAP?

rap is no less literature than shakespeare sonnets

alot of close minded thinking

hence why our children continue to fail in a system not designed for their success.

i also think black kids should have ESL services accesable to them.

if a mexican kid can get 2 other tutors and a separate classroom with 2 dedicated teachers because she only hears spanish in her house and no english

certainly, if you expect black children to identify and employ STANDARD ENGLISH (as opposed to the dialect they learn culturally) then they should have the same access to ESL programs as africans, hispanics and asians.

Originally Posted by LDJ

What kids are learning is a different discussion altogether. What I'm talking about is the method of teaching, not the subjects being taught. However, what you brought up, the teaching of useless information and the memorization of it, is a large part of why some kids don't focus in school. They are bored and can't see how the subject applies to their everyday lives. If mom is working two jobs and is still short on the rent, why the *##* would you care about the order of US presidents?

If the material and subjects are interesting and useful, rapping isn't necessary. Kids tune adults out when adults are out of touch with them. What this country really needs are more trade based educations and apprenticeships at an earlier level, but that too is another subject.

Originally Posted by LDJ

and one word; corny.

I think that could possibly work. But making songs about dinosaurs, element chart, shakespeare etc... will just be just as pointless as it is children learning it in the traditional methods used today.

roll.gif
 @ people still taking "Harnessing Hip-Hop to teach students" in the literal sense. (too the BOTH of you)

pointless? yep.
corny? sure.

....thats why thats NOT what they're talking about.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

roll.gif
@ people still taking "Harnessing Hip-Hop to teach students" in the literal sense. (too the BOTH of you)

pointless? yep.
corny? sure.

grin.gif

Word?

So instead of explaining it, you're trying to get your shine on with the rolling laugh? Go head and harness a dictionary my man.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

roll.gif

pointless? yep.
corny? sure.

grin.gif

Word?

So instead of explaining it, you're trying to get your shine on with the rolling laugh? Go head and harness a dictionary my man.

....its explained on the first page.

...hell, its explained in the VIDEO
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

.....here ill re-post some examples:

no, not have a corny white math teacher rap math facts

but to define onomonopia, then use an example from RAP?

to define enjambment then use an example from RAP?

rap is no less literature than shakespeare sonnets

^ This. And I know I'm going to offend someone by saying this, but I don't care. I particularly dislike this option of using Hip Hop as a teaching tool when White teachers think it's cool to do it while teaching in inner city schools. I find it to be ignorant, disrespectful, and culturally insensitive. How can you assume that is the only way inner city kids can learn effectively. It may seem fun/creative, but it comes off as racist in my opinion. I've seen it done a few times.

Back
Top Bottom