Has it gotten to the point where we can now say that Greg Oden was the biggest draft mistake ever?

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo

Waste of a pick for my Bulls. But thank you Knicks
amd_eddy_curry.jpg
I swear yall went outta your way to say sorry trading LMA for Tyrus Thomas.

When he was healthy, he was actually damn good, but, that's obviously the biggest issue. It's not like he never panned out to be a good player, the potential was there.

Hasheem Thabeet on the other hand...........................

If Bogut and Oden were both healthy in their careers, they'd probably be the second and third (or third and fourth with Bynum) best Centers in the entire league, EASILY.

Originally Posted by SleepyBlueDemon

Wasn't the wrong pick at the time. Noone could have predicted that he'd be THIS brittle though.
So what are your feelings on the Bowie pick over Jordan?

Hes gonna get picked up by a team with a competent medical staff and he will ball out.

Maybe, But I hope he gets it together. Hate to see a guy who is good when he gets to play but just cant stay healthy. Phoenix should sign him and work their magic. 

EVer? Really? Ever?

NT and their Hyperbole.

So if you are saying EVER that means you believe the gap between KD and Oden is greater than the one of Black Mike and Bowie. And if you feel that way then............

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

I was one of the FEW in here who was preaching KD should have went #1 overall even before Oden's chronic injury problem. I just never was that impressed with him. He's always looked like someone who played basketball because they're tall and no other reason.

Seattle/OKC REALLY lucked landing in that #2 spot.

Word, Oden was meet worthy of #1 pick status. Durant should have been the unanimous #1.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Wasn't the wrong pick at the time. Noone could have predicted that he'd be THIS brittle though.

C'mon now, none of you kids were around for that one. I'm 28 and even I was wayy to young too young to be following NCAA and NBA basketball. OF COURSE we're all gonna say it was an atrocious pick because hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. And I'm a lifelong Chicagoan so of course I'm a huge Jordan fan. Those will forever be my NBA glory years.My point is that I was already actively following the NBA for years and years, along with the NCAA, so I know what I saw in terms of Oden and Durant. Oden was looking like the second coming of Bill Russell with his great defensive presence, and some actual offensive abilities which is even more rare now in big men. He was even capable of hitting his free throws. Durant looked like a pure scorer, which he basically is.So would you have taken beasely over Rose?? beasely was a wayy better scorer and was putting up gaudy scoring and rebounding numbers at kstate. It was a real debate. I know some intelligent basketball fans that preferred beasely. I wanted Rose but I can admit I didn't know he would be THIS good. Just loved his potential. Now I still clown on one friend in particular who wanted beasely. But yeah, I do believe in the importance of centers and point guards. Dominant big men are practically extinct.Again, hindsight is always 20/20...

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Don't even bring up his health. Even healthy Oden wasn't going to be half the player Durant is. His pick is a direct reflection of that old school big man league mentality that is no longer applicable yet so called experts have failed to realize that. Durant was the smart pick then. They just didn't have to balls to go against conventional wisdom...and they've suffered for that. History favors the bold.
This is church right here, seriously !!!!

I just feel for dude. It's not a Kwame Brown situation where he was just a flat out bum. Oden's knee's just wouldn't let him play. Portland has to be cursed, him and Roy.

But we KNEW that Durant was an offensive machine. And we KNEW that dominant big men with longevity and few injuries were going the way of the dinosaur. And we KNEW that the league is now dominated by highly skilled guards and forwards. These are things we all KNEW but many refused to acknowledge. "Pick the big man, no question" yeah aight
eyes.gif
You can win a championship with a dominant guard or forward and a serviceable center, you can't with a dominant center and a serviceable guard or forward. Ask Dwight.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

But we KNEW that Durant was an offensive machine. And we KNEW that dominant big men with longevity and few injuries were going the way of the dinosaur. And we KNEW that the league is now dominated by highly skilled guards and forwards. These are things we all KNEW but many refused to acknowledge. "Pick the big man, no question" yeah aight
eyes.gif
You can win a championship with a dominant guard or forward and a serviceable center, you can't with a dominant center and a serviceable guard or forward. Ask Dwight.
The Blazers already had Roy who was coming off a rookie season where he put up 17, 4, and 4. They already had their guard of the future so taking Oden was about balance so they could have their guard and their big man. If you're building a team, having Roy and Oden makes a lot more sense than two perimeter players in Roy and Durant.

Oden should just retire. He needs to think about life after basketball and any more damage to his legs could have serious consequences when he's older.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

C'mon now, none of you kids were around for that one. I'm 28 and even I was wayy to young too young to be following NCAA and NBA basketball. OF COURSE we're all gonna say it was an atrocious pick because hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.
The standard answer, as expected (which is fine). But based on your reasoning for drafting Oden and how you believe teams should be constructed, you would admit Portland made the correct pick in 1984 as well, right? I mean, Portland had drafted their shooting guard/wing player of the future (Drexler) the previous year. Taking a center is the next logical move, right?

Oden had red flags all over. Aside from the physical signs (he moved around like an old man), there was a mental aspect that was troubling. He played basketball as if he felt obligated to because he was seven feet tall. You could see it in him, just by the way he carried himself. Add it all together, and the fact Roy had some troubling knee issues, and Oden wasn't necessarily the right pick.

Back
Top Bottom