Has the Jordan hype gone down?

I think everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head with what they have said.

Mass production
Price point
Not quality material/quality control
Frequent releases
Lame colorways

And overall people getting bored! From the most recent releases.

Make no mistake tho JB and Nike are still EATING and EATING WELL! Resellers........ Or those that still exist are the ones hurting!

Anyone else notice that Retro 1s are the limited releases these days and the retro that people seem to gravitate to more?

Reasons......

No mass production
Price point
Use quality material/quality control/superior materials
Infrequent releases
Dope colorways

Still want them SBB, can't pay that resale price tho! FML

Last edited:
At $160 i think resellers would have definitely bought all the aquas they could get their hands on and the aqua thread would be at more than double the amount of pages it is now.

Resellers migrated to limited adidas pusha t's to make profit instead :lol:

Yep. The price hikes, something different coming out every week, a lot more restocks. I've been shocked to see some of these OG colorways sitting as well.
This

I just copped sport blue 6s for $100 recently and i never thought that would happen. Sneakers that sit is what i love to feast on.

Anyone else notice that Retro 1s are the limited releases these days and the retro that people seem to gravitate to more?
Been noticed. Thanks to the Banned 1 outlets release. JB producing so many NA 1s now tho that hype is fading from those too. UNC 1s basically retail shipped on ebay.

Last edited:
It's because resellers havent sold the extra pairs they have yet. They don't have enough budget to buy new ones [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

JB section has some of the most reverse logic to be honest. Worried about resellers instead of worried about the bigger picture.

Only impact the 3 strikes made was getting slezzy and his loyal followers, KD didn't even entertain their offer when he was a sneaker free agent.. If it wasn't for Pharrel and Ye the 3 strikes would still be floundering. UA can only ride Dell Curry's son for so long, all of his shoes look the same. KD turned down 300mill from UA to stay with Nike. Hell even the NBA and NFL turned down UA for Nike.... Yes they are nipping at Nike heels, but that's a good thing. Somebody needs to keep them on their toes... IMO

JB section has some of the most reverse logic to be honest. Worried about resellers instead of worried about the bigger picture.

You mustve deleted my response

Guess I made my point. Obviously it's a factor. Facts.

Only impact the 3 strikes made was getting slezzy and his loyal followers, KD didn't even entertain their offer when he was a sneaker free agent.. If it wasn't for Pharrel and Ye the 3 strikes would still be floundering. UA can only ride Dell Curry's son for so long, all of his shoes look the same. KD turned down 300mill from UA to stay with Nike. Hell even the NBA and NFL turned down UA for Nike.... Yes they are nipping at Nike heels, but that's a good thing. Somebody needs to keep them on their toes... IMO

KD didn't turn it down tho. Nike had the right to match which they did. The other stuff I agree with tho.

Why everybody coming at Steph's shoes? Massive difference between the 1s and 2s. I actually feel the twos more. Definitely a better sig model than ANY model Nike's put out this year; Kyrie, Lebron, KD, Kobe.

A lot of my little nephews and their friends have and/or want Curry's now, not Jordan's or Lebrons.

We do, however, live in the bay area. All the kids out here love Stephen Curry.

In the last couple of years, UA has moved me away from Nike tho.

Last edited:
I'm going to reserve comment until after the white cement 4 is released. If people can walk into somewhere and get it (which i doubt) i think that's a good indicator that the fad/trend may be dying out a bit. I'm just happy i can get the shoes i wanted as a kid but my parents wouldnt buy me understandably because of the price.

I'm going to reserve comment until after the white cement 4 is released. If people can walk into somewhere and get it (which i doubt) i think that's a good indicator that the fad/trend may be dying out a bit. I'm just happy i can get the shoes i wanted as a kid but my parents wouldnt buy me understandably because of the price.
Those are a limited and popular OG cw though-Chi 1s were NOT an easy cop and I would put them in the same boat...

GRs were moving a lot better in 2012 than in 2015, for example, and it wasn't became 2012 had significantly better releases vs 2015... I think the $190 price increase killed a lot of demand for GRs or at least made people become more selective in what they purchase. 

I actually don't have a problem with the price increase as long as JB is delivering better quality and designs-if this year has shown us anything it is that, although quality has improved a bit, JB has overall failed on both fronts.

A lot of my little nephews and their friends have and/or want Curry's now, not Jordan's or Lebrons.

We do, however, live in the bay area. All the kids out here love Stephen Curry.

In the last couple of years, UA has moved me away from Nike tho.
Literally nobody in DC wants Currys... It's Foams, Jordans and trainers everywhere here. I've noticed Adidas UBs have been insanely in demand though, most stores are sold out of every cw, it's kind of insane.

I asked my son if he wanted the new KD's or Brons's and he said nah, he wants the Currys
laugh.gif
Those have ZERO wear-ability off court though... At least Nike releases EXT models of Lebrons/KDs/Kobes that can double in off-court wear because they don't look like plastic-UA should probably take a hint.

Last edited:

Those are a limited and popular OG cw though-Chi 1s were NOT an easy cop and I would put them in the same boat...

GRs were moving a lot better in 2012 than in 2015, for example, and it wasn't became 2012 had significantly better releases vs 2015... I think the $190 price increase killed a lot of demand for GRs or at least made people become more selective in what they purchase. 

I actually don't have a problem with the price increase as long as JB is delivering better quality and designs-if this year has shown us anything it is that, although quality has improved a bit, JB has overall failed on both fronts.
Bords and Aquas sat last time they came out. So i don't think those prove anything in terms of the fad/trend dying. I agree with you on the white cements, i'm just saying if someone can walk in on a saturday and pick them up without a ticket etc i think that's a strong indication the fad/trend is in a decline. Those shoes sitting would be unheard of in the last 5-6 years. With that said, i'd still bet my whole checking account those things sell out no problem. I don't think the trend is dying, it's just changing.

While I agree with you that, at the end of the day, Nike is on top-Adidas' Boost tech is incredible and has set a new bar for comfort, in terms of cushioning. I don't think it translates to basketball very well (has Adidas even had a popular basketball shoe line since the T-Mac days?), in the running/casual trainer market Boost trainers (specifically UB and PBs) are VERY popular/hyped.

Bords and Aquas sat last time they came out. So i don't think those prove anything in terms of the fad/trend dying. I agree with you on the white cements, i'm just saying if someone can walk in on a saturday and pick them up without a ticket etc i think that's a strong indication the fad/trend is in a decline. Those shoes sitting would be unheard of in the last 5-6 years. With that said, i'd still bet my whole checking account those things sell out no problem. I don't think the trend is dying, it's just changing.
I agree, I don't think Nike/JB is stupid enough to flood the market with WC 4s especially when you consider that retros are a SMALL part of their business and act more of a marketing item for other purchases because they bring so much attention to the brand... I think people are just surprised to see retros sitting or going on sale when that wasn't the case 2-3 years ago. But I think this speaks more to the higher price point and the amount of retros they have been coming out with recently (and the lack of quality retro+ cws). Also remember that JB has some secret weapons that would immediately bring the hype back to the brand if they were to see a release (Space Jam 11s, OG NA BC3s, OG NA Bred 4s, etc. etc.) or, as a nuclear option, they could even retro mythical-level pairs like UNDFTD 4s or Eminem 4s if they REALLY needed the hype (highly doubt they would ever do this as current owner-collectors would rip their own hair out).

I don't see Jordans going out of style because there simply hasn't been a solid replacement for the line.. Retro basketball shoes have now been sold for decades (or even a century if you consider Chucks a retro) so I don't see this particular market dwindling. 

Back then Jordan QS was extremely hard to get depending on where you live.

QS was dedacated to Clothing/Sneaker Boutiques that has a j23 urban account and Foot Action.

Once they stop that in 2007 the Jordan resell market was kinda slow and Nike SB was on top then IMO after the Space Jams that's when J's started to climb back to the top with the exception of certain Countdown Package retros...

Now Nike/JB raise the prices KNOWING people would cop just for the fact that the resell market was booming

Back then Jordan QS was extremely hard to get depending on where you live.

QS was dedacated to Clothing/Sneaker Boutiques that has a j23 urban account and Foot Action.

Once they stop that in 2007 the Jordan resell market was kinda slow and Nike SB was on top then IMO after the Space Jams that's when J's started to climb back to the top with the exception of certain Countdown Package retros...

Now Nike/JB raise the prices KNOWING people would cop just for the fact that the resell market was booming
Except people value different retros differently-Hare 7s moved easily at $190 meanwhile Bords and Aquas struggled and nearly ALL the new GR retro+ cws either sat on shelves at $190 or went on disco/to outlets. I think this all means one thing:

People value different models and cws differently.

While I think $220 is kind of insane for the 11s this year, I (and A LOT of other people) would pay that in a heartbeat for a pair of Space Jams or Concords if they retrod as GRs this year instead. To this point, JB had trouble moving OG retro 2s for ~$150 in 2014 so I have no idea how they are planning on moving retro+ cws of 2s at $190 next year unless they are making them limited. 

Reserve comment after maroons and the 72-10s drop. If those sit like aquas, I think it would be safe to say............
View media item 1806257

al audi al audi

Thanks. I deleted that post too.

No need for all of the hostility. Whatever beef you have isn't with me. I was one of the people wishing you well when you had your accident.

Back
Top Bottom