Having a summer internship Appreciation/Unappreciation

I'm extremely happy and thankful to have a full time job for the summer, especially related to my studies. But I feel I'm too young for the 9-5 mon-fri lifestyle and need to enjoy my youth before it's too late. During the school year I had fridays off so thursday nights would be the party nights but these days I gotta go to sleep early on thursday and I'm not used to a 5-day work week. I feel like I'm in the movie Office Space sometimes. Any other NTers in the same boat?
pros: 
-great experience, looks great on the resume

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

-7:15 am wake up monday-friday

-extremely tired during/after work, and I have 2 baseball games per week

-can get boring, and looking out the window at the sunny great weather doesnt help
laugh.gif

I'm extremely happy and thankful to have a full time job for the summer, especially related to my studies. But I feel I'm too young for the 9-5 mon-fri lifestyle and need to enjoy my youth before it's too late. During the school year I had fridays off so thursday nights would be the party nights but these days I gotta go to sleep early on thursday and I'm not used to a 5-day work week. I feel like I'm in the movie Office Space sometimes. Any other NTers in the same boat?
pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

-can get boring, and looking out the window at the sunny great weather doesnt help
laugh.gif

Nothing unappreciated about to me.

-The money was great.
-The experience was valuable.
-Met a lot of new people that I'm still friends with today.

We worked from 8-4 but our day ended at two because that's when the futures market closed so we just chilled and BSed for the rest of the day. The only con was when the boss would call on you unexpectedly and you're left there looking like an idiot but all in all I had a great experience. Too bad everything went to hell after the summer of 07. Things will never be the same again.

Nothing unappreciated about to me.

-The money was great.
-The experience was valuable.
-Met a lot of new people that I'm still friends with today.

We worked from 8-4 but our day ended at two because that's when the futures market closed so we just chilled and BSed for the rest of the day. The only con was when the boss would call on you unexpectedly and you're left there looking like an idiot but all in all I had a great experience. Too bad everything went to hell after the summer of 07. Things will never be the same again.

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

the older you get, the more you realize the cons are irrelevant(minus the baseball) when money is involved.
wink.gif

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

the older you get, the more you realize the cons are irrelevant(minus the baseball) when money is involved.
wink.gif

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

Dude Grow up

The cons are irrelevant.

I'd rather be making $15-$30/hour at an internship, adding bullet points to my resume and get corporate experience 
than making like $10 at some B.S. mall job like Footaction and adding no value to my future.

I interned 4 times during college, and it was worth it. Your resume will look beastly (unless you go to an intense school and everyone has multiple internships
laugh.gif
)
 The best part is saving all the internship money and being able to stunt on people during the regular school year. Broke college student? Not me
pimp.gif

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

Dude Grow up

The cons are irrelevant.

I'd rather be making $15-$30/hour at an internship, adding bullet points to my resume and get corporate experience 
than making like $10 at some B.S. mall job like Footaction and adding no value to my future.

I interned 4 times during college, and it was worth it. Your resume will look beastly (unless you go to an intense school and everyone has multiple internships
laugh.gif
)
 The best part is saving all the internship money and being able to stunt on people during the regular school year. Broke college student? Not me
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

Dude Grow up

The cons are irrelevant.

laugh.gif
)
pimp.gif

QFT. I went through the same thing. It'll pay off.

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

Dude Grow up

The cons are irrelevant.

laugh.gif
)
pimp.gif

QFT. I went through the same thing. It'll pay off.

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

Dude Grow up

The cons are irrelevant.

laugh.gif
)
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
This. Even after blowing $700 on the PS3 when it first came out I still had MORE than enough to last me for the entire school year
pimp.gif

I'd punt a kitten for an internship as a post grad if it means I can get back in that field. Sucks that the sector hasn't recovered and never will
tired.gif

pros: 

-good $

-keeps you occupied

cons:

laugh.gif

Dude Grow up

The cons are irrelevant.

laugh.gif
)
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
This. Even after blowing $700 on the PS3 when it first came out I still had MORE than enough to last me for the entire school year
pimp.gif

I'd punt a kitten for an internship as a post grad if it means I can get back in that field. Sucks that the sector hasn't recovered and never will
tired.gif

Grow up OP man. I was doing 9-5's when I was 16 and couldn't have been happier. You miss very little, maybe a couple of games of COD with your friends but you can still go out whenever you want after 5 and you'll have the money to do what you want. Most of my friends are spoiled so they like to do stuff that costs money and my parents never gave me money so I knew I had to work and it taught me so much.

Grow up OP man. I was doing 9-5's when I was 16 and couldn't have been happier. You miss very little, maybe a couple of games of COD with your friends but you can still go out whenever you want after 5 and you'll have the money to do what you want. Most of my friends are spoiled so they like to do stuff that costs money and my parents never gave me money so I knew I had to work and it taught me so much.

I've been at an internship for the past year, its been a great experience.
Hopefully it'll all pay off..definitely looks good on your resume..
pimp.gif

I've been at an internship for the past year, its been a great experience.
Hopefully it'll all pay off..definitely looks good on your resume..
pimp.gif

Where do you intern at OP? If I remember correctly in that major thread I think we share the same major

And summer without a job and no income is boring as FUUUU

Where do you intern at OP? If I remember correctly in that major thread I think we share the same major

Originally Posted by McRaptor

In an accounting department downtown. I major in statistics/econ so its not exactly my field but its related and good experience nonetheless
I'm not complaining about the money/experience part. i'm just not a big fan about the schedule and I also umpire baseball games some nights so i'm super busy.

Originally Posted by McRaptor

In an accounting department downtown. I major in statistics/econ so its not exactly my field but its related and good experience nonetheless
I'm not complaining about the money/experience part. i'm just not a big fan about the schedule and I also umpire baseball games some nights so i'm super busy.

you actually miss out on a lot by NOT doing an internship. aside from the experience and resume help, the money is huge. i failed to get an internship after freshman year and couldnt do anything fun because i had no money. summer of soph year i made 7-8k and was ballin when i went back to school. that kinda money is a lot at that age.

Back
Top Bottom