HBO'S "Insecure" [ Created by Issa Rae ► Season III: 2020 ]

Lawrence was trying hard to be present in his son’s life and Condola thus far has put up a road block at nearly all of his attempts.

She’s done everything except say “I want to do this by myself”.

Not handing the baby over at a public event only to cause a scene is BS.

BTW- we don’t need to argue about this at all. It’s TV and that’s how I viewed it.

He was coming for a day and a half, skipping appointments because of work and not paying attention to their childs routine, likes and dislikes or even asking.

and you don't realize why she had a problem with him?

Going back to the Lawrence episode. I get it’s the last season but going from finding out your a dad to having a custody discussion in one episode is just nuts.

Yeah I don't see it as a this person bad/good choose a side thing. Lawrence doing best he can, Condola dealing with everything whether she wanted it or not, frustration is natural. Sometimes life just is.

I think from the beginning the biggest thing was he picked his job and career before everything. He made it so he was going to be a weekend dad. She can't put her career before their kid.

He never said that he was going to try to move back or find another job.

Once that happen, that caused a rift. She thought he was going to be one type of way, since in those nine months they didn't communicate much.

It was understandable she thought she was going to be raising their child alone. Especially since we as black men don't have the best reputations. And her father wasn't in the hospital, so her father might not have been in her life.

I realize this is fictional btw :lol:

I realize this is fictional btw :lol:

Are you sure because you’re acting like it’s not and Condola is your sister or something 🤣

And what part of what I said makes you think I “identify” with Lawrence? I don’t have any kids, I never worked at Best Buy, I don’t shoot random women’s clubs up etc. Lawrence and I don’t have anything in common.

Dude is trying. Eventually Condola will expect money and where exactly is that supposed to come from? Lawrence has to work, unfortunately for her that’s in SF. What’s he supposed to do? Quit and go back to Best Buy?

Anybody else watch this show and pretend that it’s real?

I knew you just wanted to argue 😂

Last edited:
Some of y'all are trippin' IMO.

Now let me get this out first, Lawrence is far from perfect or right, but "I" certainly viewed it as him trying his best.

Did he choose his career over his kid? IDK. We don't know. The discussions of how they were gonna handle the situation was off screen, so all we can do is assume.

We jump into the current situation just like he did. Finding out his kid was being born via text. And you name the kid w/o him?! Petty much?

And then, at every attempt to bond/get closer to little man, she was cutting him off. He doesn't know the routine? His missing appointments? Fair enough. But IF she wasn't communicating these things to him how was/is he supposed to know?

In fear of this coming off misogynistic, I find this to be an issue with a lot of women (stereotypically). We [men] unintentionally do something wrong/incorrect and the [woman] gets mad without informing us of what we did/didn't do. It's like [water-retaining structure] is a brotha supposed to be psychic or something??? 😂

85F65E51-5A1B-4BB2-AF6E-AA3171CE8191.gif
8915EAA0-B776-4A73-9CE8-60DC1F377BE2.gif

Condolences is frustrated by a situation she created for herself. She seems to have a problem with effective communication which was why her and Larry were never on the same page to begin with when they were dating. Larry was under the impression they were playing the long game while she only saw him as a rebound.

Larry leveled up and got his job in SF then found out she was pregnant. Then she told him she didn't expect anything of him and will essentially be fine with how he decides to be present.

Larry keeps trying to meet her half way but she keeps stonewalling him and just won't vocalize her true feelings about everything. Larry saw that he was missing doctor appointments and politely asked if she would consider moving them to Fridays/weekends. After she shaded him once again, that's when he started missing flights.

Now let me get this out first, Lawrence is far from perfect or right, but "I" certainly viewed it as him trying his best.

Did he choose his career over his kid? IDK. We don't know. The discussions of how they were gonna handle the situation was off screen, so all we can do is assume.

We jump into the current situation just like he did. Finding out his kid was being born via text. And you name the kid w/o him?! Petty much?

And then, at every attempt to bond/get closer to little man, she was cutting him off. He doesn't know the routine? His missing appointments? Fair enough. But IF she wasn't communicating these things to him how was/is he supposed to know?

In fear of this coming off misogynistic, I find this to be an issue with a lot of women (stereotypically). We [men] unintentionally do something wrong/incorrect and the [woman] gets mad without informing us of what we did/didn't do. It's like [water-retaining structure] is a brotha supposed to be psychic or something??? 😂

Exactly!

Somehow this was lost on a lot of folks who think this show is real and watch TV to argue on the internet instead of for their own entertainment.

Remember the 🤡 who were up in arms about condoms not being used in season 1? CONDOMS ON A TV SHOW 😂

Ya'll don't seem to understand that women go through post partum and that Lawrence didn't make it any easier. Lawrence handled it like a child. When his boy took him to the side, that's what his entire point was. Yes she's acting irrational, but you acting like a child yourself won't fix it.

To top it off, Lawrence basically said to the women who's with the kid everyday while he's smashing ******* "Well I'm here and that is good enough. It's better than most of these other ******." . That's not a good way of dealing with an irritable woman who just had a baby.

By the way, I thought Condo was off before the baby, so that's another issue.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm shocked she had the baby at all. She didn't want to be with L and didn't want children at all but still had the baby. That doesn't negate anything that L is putting her through but I'm just really confused by that choice.

The Lawrence situation is shades of grey. Neither are 100% right or wrong. She did tell him she didn't need him to raise the baby initially...that didn't sit well because he wants to be present as a father (what decent dude wouldn't), but the situation changed in the process. Maybe he should have checked in during the pregnancy (or maybe he did, idk this is a time jump in the story), that would have showed her he cared, but then again, he was going by what she said when she told him he wasn't needed and she was going forward. BUT, if she felt otherwise during the pregnancy, maybe she sould have communicated as well her change in feelings (again, we don't know details on that because of the time jump on the show). So, it seems like he's an a hole when she's going through it at this stage with the baby, and she seems controlling and want to block him out due to resentment (on terms she set). The situation just augments their initial problem...communication. They never communicated their actual intentions up front when they were dating (he was a rebound for her, he was just...around). Again....shades of grey that get people in situations they wish they wouldn't be in, and now the baby is here, and they have to put all that **** aside and co parent. They just gotta figure it out. Idk if there is enough season left to deal with them fools lol.

Facts. Lawrence and Condolences were both wrong in the situation
Condolences is frustrated by a situation she created for herself. She seems to have a problem with effective communication which was why her and Larry were never on the same page to begin with when they were dating. Larry was under the impression they were playing the long game while she only saw him as a rebound.

Larry leveled up and got his job in SF then found out she was pregnant. Then she told him she didn't expect anything of him and will essentially be fine with how he decides to be present.

Larry keeps trying to meet her half way but she keeps stonewalling him and just won't vocalize her true feelings about everything. Larry saw that he was missing doctor appointments and politely asked if she would consider moving them to Fridays/weekends. After she shaded him once again, that's when he started missing flights.

IDK if yalls phones are autocorrecting or if that’s her nickname in this thread but calling her “Condolences” instead of Condola has me weak :lol:

And what part of what I said makes you think I “identify” with Lawrence? I don’t have any kids, I never worked at Best Buy, I don’t shoot random women’s clubs up etc. Lawrence and I don’t have anything in common.

Dude is trying. Eventually Condola will expect money and where exactly is that supposed to come from? Lawrence has to work, unfortunately for her that’s in SF. What’s he supposed to do? Quit and go back to Best Buy?

They live in Los Angeles and The Bay, he has a lot more job opportunities than Best Buy and where he works at now.

They live in Los Angeles and The Bay, he has a lot more job opportunities than Best Buy and where he works at now.
I agree with you that he would have opportunities but finding a job, specifically the right job, isn’t easy. Also consider that he took a new job so it would be a quick turnaround between positions and that might negatively impact his chances. It would be a stressful process.

How did he not choose his job over his kid?

So she wanted him to move away and the burden fall almost entirely on her. You remember when her sister said he's like an uncle. Because she saw their son more than he did. He comes and leaves when he wants. That's not how a parent works. I have to work late, sorry.

And wouldn't you ask what are his likes, dislikes, because she's around him all day? Why should she have to tell him? It became like a competition. He starts crying and she's going to want to naturally want to help him. She's his mother.

Dude wasn't having discussions. Remember when he said I'll take him for this holiday so he can spend time with my parents. That wasn't something worthy of discussion? Maybe she had plans. But in his head, he felt he was doing a good thing by giving her a break.

It's a difference, as a single male you're naturally selfish. She could no longer be selfish and their kid comes first. After the kid he still operates as a single male, because he can, selfishness and all.

I agree with you that he would have opportunities but finding a job, specifically the right job, isn’t easy. Also consider that he took a new job so it would be a quick turnaround between positions and that might negatively impact his chances. It would be a stressful process.

Dude had 9 months and it looks like he's not looking for anything closer.

He likes his company, salary, people he works with, cool, but you're putting all of that before your son.

This is time you can never get back. You can find another job. You can't make up the formative years in your kids life.

It's like how parents will work two jobs to put food on the table and so they'll have a better life. They don't want to, but they have to. It's a sacrifice.

What would you think of your dad if you found out he sacrificed $20,000 a year so you'd see him every other day versus the weekends? So he would be there for your basketball games, school events.

Dude had 9 months and it looks like he's not looking for anything closer.

He likes his company, salary, people he works with, cool, but you're putting all of that before your son.

This is time you can never get back. You can find another job. You can't make up the formative years in your kids life.

It's like how parents will work two jobs to put food on the table and so they'll have a better life. They don't want to, but they have to. It's a sacrifice.

What would you think of your dad if you found out he sacrificed $20,000 a year so you'd see him every other day versus the weekends? So he would be there for your basketball games, school events.
I DEFINITELY see where you’re coming from but I don’t think it’s as black and white as you’re making it. Im not saying he he should put those things you mentioned before his son but one thing to consider here is does it make sense for Larry to be the one that’s moving? I mean that in the sense that does she definitively make more and/or have greater career upside? If not, why can’t she and the baby move to the Bay?

As for the turning down $20K annually situation you have to think pretty strategically IMO. Is that $20K over time going allow you to get a home in a good public school district? Is that money going to allow you to pay for private school? Is that that money going to allow you save up for a college fund? I think each person, both parent and child, may view that situation a bit differently.

in the midst of typing that I realized that I couldn’t tell if we were generally speaking or not :lol: I only say that because this Condolences situation has numerous extenuating factors

How did he not choose his job over his kid?

So she wanted him to move away and the burden fall almost entirely on her. You remember when her sister said he's like an uncle. Because she saw their son more than he did. He comes and leaves when he wants. That's not how a parent works. I have to work late, sorry.

That is literally what happened!

Agree about something being off with Condola. Something being off about her abrupt change of heart and mind choices.

Lawrence didn't choose his job over his son. He chose his job way before. He couldn't just bail on it. Y'all forget son was struggling and damn near depressed s1. No way he could just quit and try to find another job.

She straight up told him be as involved as you want. Don't matter to her (obvious lie but stand by what you say).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom