HD-DVD Players are dropping in price would you cop???

So I know the battle between Blu Ray and HD DVD is pretty much over with Blu Ray coming out on top, but I just saw a Toshiba HD player for $130 plus 7movies. I hear they upconvert regular DVD's pretty well so even if they become obsolete you'll at least have that.

What do you all think? Would you cop?

So once HD DVDs aren't made anymore what yall gonna do? Just cop a PS3 and your straight

Doesn't that mean they're just gonna stop making HD DVDs as well? Then what's the point in having an HD DVD player??? I'd rather just get a PS3for Blu-Ray.

They're going to stop making HD-DVD's, but they will still be out for at least a year or so. If you're in the market for a new dvd player, butdon't want to spend the money for a PS3, a $130 HD-DVD player is only a couple more dollars than a regular up convert dvd player. It's up to you, but Iwould buy a blu-ray player.

Originally Posted by areyouin729

HD DVD is gone the way of the Mini Disc, whats the pt in buying one, they lost
A failed format backed 100% by Sony, where were the fan boys then?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

HD DVD is gone the way of the Mini Disc, whats the pt in buying one, they lost
A failed format backed 100% by Sony, where were the fan boys then?
laugh.gif

damn you Xbox fanboys act lil freakin girls, I could careless if Sony backed it, i'm using it as a reference

I have a Toshiba HD A 30, and it's amazing! I'd stay away from Blu-Ray until they get their software bugs worked out, and release the 2.0 platform.When that happens, the old Blu-Ray players won't be able to play new 2.0 discs. The players will become obsolete. I can tell you that the upconvert onregular dvd's with my A 30 is unbelievable. I'm watching older movies like I'm seeing them for the fist time. It supposedly converts to full 1080p,and I believe it.

I could care less who wins this format war, I just want one single hd platform. The funny thing is, this is far from over. I've been reading the HD camphas some tricks up their sleeve, and even with Warner Bros. switching camps, they still have an opt-out clause with Sony/Blu-Ray that lets them leave if salesnumbers aren't met. We still have a while to go on this one folks.

Peace,
J

$130 plus seven movies isn't special. Making it less special is the fact that the format will be obsolete. And that's coming from a 360 fan.

Originally Posted by jshortt

I have a Toshiba HD A 30, and it's amazing! I'd stay away from Blu-Ray until they get their software bugs worked out, and release the 2.0 platform. When that happens, the old Blu-Ray players won't be able to play new 2.0 discs. The players will become obsolete. I can tell you that the upconvert on regular dvd's with my A 30 is unbelievable. I'm watching older movies like I'm seeing them for the fist time. It supposedly converts to full 1080p, and I believe it.

I could care less who wins this format war, I just want one single hd platform. The funny thing is, this is far from over. I've been reading the HD camp has some tricks up their sleeve, and even with Warner Bros. switching camps, they still have an opt-out clause with Sony/Blu-Ray that lets them leave if sales numbers aren't met. We still have a while to go on this one folks.

Peace,
J

not trying to bash your pts or opinions but I think it's pretty much a wrap for HD DVD, it's more then just WB who have chosen Blu Ray, HBO did alsoand it seems everyone else is planning to follow suit

HD DVD is an amazing format, as is Blu Ray but I wouldn't buy something of that nature when you see every machine hitting crazy drop prices, retailers knowwhat is up, they are taking the L

na im good
blu ray all the way.
im disappointed that some movies aint on blu-ray though (The Kingdom for example)

HD DVD is on the losing end, but the format is not completely dead yet. Right now there are currently 400 titles out in the US, 1000 worldwide, and theremaining studios supporting HD DVD will have new releases in the next 6-12 months. With Toshiba lowering the prices on the players, IF they could draw bringmore software sales in, it could swing the pendulum in the format war. I jumped in early and bought a XB360 HD DVD, but I've been using it for a while, andit only cost me $200 which is nothing compared to current BluRay player prices. No big deal...my HD DVD titles will still be viewable, and once the prices dropon the combo HD DVD/BluRay player I can enjoy releases on both formats.

Funny thing, from a technical standpoint, HD DVD is said to be the better format, but the PS3 put Blu Ray in more homes, and support from the studios followsthe money...

I have a Toshiba HD A 30, and it's amazing! I'd stay away from Blu-Ray until they get their software bugs worked out, and release the 2.0 platform. When that happens, the old Blu-Ray players won't be able to play new 2.0 discs. The players will become obsolete. I can tell you that the upconvert on regular dvd's with my A 30 is unbelievable. I'm watching older movies like I'm seeing them for the fist time. It supposedly converts to full 1080p, and I believe it.

I could care less who wins this format war, I just want one single hd platform. The funny thing is, this is far from over. I've been reading the HD camp has some tricks up their sleeve, and even with Warner Bros. switching camps, they still have an opt-out clause with Sony/Blu-Ray that lets them leave if sales numbers aren't met. We still have a while to go on this one folks.

Peace,
J

not trying to bash your pts or opinions but I think it's pretty much a wrap for HD DVD, it's more then just WB who have chosen Blu Ray, HBO did also and it seems everyone else is planning to follow suit

HD DVD is an amazing format, as is Blu Ray but I wouldn't buy something of that nature when you see every machine hitting crazy drop prices, retailers know what is up, they are taking the L

I was just using WB as an example since their 'defection' was the biggie that swung the format war in Blu-Ray's favor. I'll admit thatthings are looking pretty bleak for HD/Toshiba, but if you think they're going down without a fight, you're mistaken. As hollowpoints stated, the PS3thing helped put Blu-Ray in more homes despite software issues and higher prices, but presently, Sony is losing a LOT of money on top of what they gave Warnerto swap formats. Who knows how much longer they'll be able to keep up at the same pace? There are several things HD/Toshiba can do to get things movingwith their camp that aren't out of the realm of possibility, including throwing more money at one of the Blu-Ray studios. I've heard that Universaland Paramount are going to start releasing their big guns (E.T., Indiana Jones, Godfather, etc.) on HD to see if it can get things moving again.

Again, don't care one way or the other, but I do love my HD, and had the bugs been worked out with Blu-Ray, and the prices been a little lower, I mighthave gone with them to begin with. Don't know about you, but I think the people that are defending both formats like it's their first-born child arefunny.

Peace,
J

Peace,
J

not trying to bash your pts or opinions but I think it's pretty much a wrap for HD DVD, it's more then just WB who have chosen Blu Ray, HBO did also and it seems everyone else is planning to follow suit

HD DVD is an amazing format, as is Blu Ray but I wouldn't buy something of that nature when you see every machine hitting crazy drop prices, retailers know what is up, they are taking the L

I was just using WB as an example since their 'defection' was the biggie that swung the format war in Blu-Ray's favor. I'll admit that things are looking pretty bleak for HD/Toshiba, but if you think they're going down without a fight, you're mistaken. As hollowpoints stated, the PS3 thing helped put Blu-Ray in more homes despite software issues and higher prices, but presently, Sony is losing a LOT of money on top of what they gave Warner to swap formats. Who knows how much longer they'll be able to keep up at the same pace? There are several things HD/Toshiba can do to get things moving with their camp that aren't out of the realm of possibility, including throwing more money at one of the Blu-Ray studios. I've heard that Universal and Paramount are going to start releasing their big guns (E.T., Indiana Jones, Godfather, etc.) on HD to see if it can get things moving again.

Again, don't care one way or the other, but I do love my HD, and had the bugs been worked out with Blu-Ray, and the prices been a little lower, I might have gone with them to begin with. Don't know about you, but I think the people that are defending both formats like it's their first-born child are funny.

Peace,
J
There is no point in defending something that will be non-existent in a year.

You might enjoy the pretty colors but you can just stack all your hd movies next to your vhs copies or sell them at the next family garage sale

im keeping my HD DVD player just cause many of the HD DVDs out right now will likely plummet in price...

i cant wait to cop some HD DVDs for like 5 bucks just to have.

Back
Top Bottom