HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

^^ back when i had my hp desktop, i was streaming mkvs all the time. but it used a lot of the server and would lag so i went back to connecting my hd to the ps3

I really do not know. I do use VLC to play .mkv files on my cpu and when I view on the PS3 it says it's an unsupported file. I converted it using a VOB converter and after that I was able to play the video.

thats strange. can you watch mkvs on your computer? maybe you just gotta download a codec pack. if you already tried that then lo siento fam, i have no clue what it could be.

whats the general consensus on projectors?

looking to set up a temporary mancave for xbox 360, computer use and football watching-

was looking at hdtvs and mountings then ran across some projectors.....room is smallish so i was gonna look into this option-

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by throwedyonasb

thats strange. can you watch mkvs on your computer? maybe you just gotta download a codec pack. if you already tried that then lo siento fam, i have no clue what it could be.

Yeah, but I use VLC player to play .mkv movies. Not really sure why but I did find this guide on how to covnert the .mkv fils so it can be played with the PS3. 
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Play-MKV-Files-On-Playstation-3

I am not sure how old that guide is but it does seem like others were having problems as well.

Found this blogtoo, seems a lot are asking for .mkv support, again not sure how old this blogis.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/03/17/mkv-support-for-the-ps3/

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by livewyre

is your external hard drive connected to your computer or directly to the devices? if you have your hdd connected to a computer there is a ton of software available that will allow you to stream content to your consoles without having to purchase additional hardware.

I currently have two external hard drive and I can connect both on my cpu. Could you direct me to the software I can use so I can stream it via my PS3 or 360? Will it stream in 720P resolution?

I run tversity and it works fine. I know it transcodes files that doesn't run natively on the ps3 so you will be able to stream. if the other program doesn't work you can give this one a shot.

is your external hard drive connected to your computer or directly to the devices? if you have your hdd connected to a computer there is a ton of software available that will allow you to stream content to your consoles without having to purchase additional hardware.

I currently have two external hard drive and I can connect both on my cpu. Could you direct me to the software I can use so I can stream it via my PS3 or 360? Will it stream in 720P resolution?

I run tversity and it works fine. I know it transcodes files that doesn't run natively on the ps3 so you will be able to stream. if the other program doesn't work you can give this one a shot.

Get the Sony from BestBuy since you get a free BluRay player, it is made by Insignia but it still a free BluRay player. It is most likely compareable to the Samsung, which is what I would pick if the BluRay weren't free with the Sony from BestBuy. Not to mention the 3 years no interest if you apply for a BB card. 

I downloaded TVersity and no go. The files is still unsupported. I downloaded a codec that is suppose to make it work on .mkv format but I have yet to test it.

Originally Posted by Jordan Freak 32

Whaddup NT,

I'm moving in with my roommates in a couple of weeks and I decided to take on the task of getting us a TV.

Our needs aren't too difficult, we want an HDTV in the ~$800 range (so that'd we be paying $200 each), good quality, etc.

I'm looking for something with 120hz, 100k:1 dcr or higher, and obviously 1080p.

I've narrowed it down to these three, which one do y'all suggest is the best? If there's any other comparable TVs, let me know. I've been researching for awhile now and can't decide what to get. Help me out.

http://www.warehousedeals...-240-Hz/M/B001UV6P1Q.htm

free shipping + no tax.  make sure you pick the one with the least scuffs.

Originally Posted by Kingtre

looking to set up a temporary mancave for xbox 360, computer use and football watching-

was looking at hdtvs and mountings then ran across some projectors.....room is smallish so i was gonna look into this option-

nerd.gif

nerd.gif
I'll put it this way, they're great but you have to be dedicated to having/using one.  I'm into setups/Do-It-Yourself stuff, love watching movies, and like to have people over to watch, etc. so for me it works. Ambient light has to be avoided so most living room setups are out. If you get some serious window coverings and watch at night, it can be done okay.  If it's a very small room, you're gonna be limited on screen size you can do (based on throw distance). My room is very small (like 12'x15'), but I went with a somewhat short throw projector that was very flexible as far as placement goes.  My DIY screen is 82" which is fine for a small room like that.  Also, they've come down in price lately, but if you want a 1080p projector you're spending at least $1000 basically. Mine is actually a 720P, but it still does bluray and PS3 great and was a great improvement over my old PJ. Plus, it came with a free replacement bulb (costs like $275 on its own).

So yeah, they're awesome if you're into them.  But they take more effort to set up a room properly.  Feel free to ask more specific questions if you'd like.

Can anyone recommend me a good and affordable wireless surround sound system? I mainly want to use it for listening to music and watch movies from my laptop. It'd be great if I could hook it up for my TV and 360. Any input is greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by larrivee7

nerd.gif

nerd.gif
I'll put it this way, they're great but you have to be dedicated to having/using one.  I'm into setups/Do-It-Yourself stuff, love watching movies, and like to have people over to watch, etc. so for me it works. Ambient light has to be avoided so most living room setups are out. If you get some serious window coverings and watch at night, it can be done okay.  If it's a very small room, you're gonna be limited on screen size you can do (based on throw distance). My room is very small (like 12'x15'), but I went with a somewhat short throw projector that was very flexible as far as placement goes.  My DIY screen is 82" which is fine for a small room like that.  Also, they've come down in price lately, but if you want a 1080p projector you're spending at least $1000 basically. Mine is actually a 720P, but it still does bluray and PS3 great and was a great improvement over my old PJ. Plus, it came with a free replacement bulb (costs like $275 on its own).

So yeah, they're awesome if you're into them.  But they take more effort to set up a room properly.  Feel free to ask more specific questions if you'd like.

thanks- might just toss a tv on the wall...link to the one you have for reference tho please

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Can anyone recommend me a good and affordable wireless surround sound system? I mainly want to use it for listening to music and watch movies from my laptop. It'd be great if I could hook it up for my TV and 360. Any input is greatly appreciated

same here, im on the hunt for a surround sound system, doesn't have to wireless. but if anyone could help i would apprecaite it

Originally Posted by larrivee7

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

can you post some pics, Ive been thinking of coping one for my room. How clear is it? My computer monitor is ight, 21" 720p that I use for the xbox, ps3, desktop and as a dual screen for the laptop but would like something bigger.

Do they make ones that you can connect cable tv to?

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

larrivee7 wrote:

nerd.gif

can you post some pics, Ive been thinking of coping one for my room. How clear is it? My computer monitor is ight, 21" 720p that I use for the xbox, ps3, desktop and as a dual screen for the laptop but would like something bigger.

Do they make ones that you can connect cable tv to?

thats really gonna be relative- relative to the quality of the projector, the set up of the room etc etc .... they have projectors for like $200 then some for like $5k
laugh.gif

i think ima wait til i have a proper spot to set up the official theater room and go projector then -

after posting that i searched around somemore and read up a bit - heres a clip that might help you

Factors To Take Into Consideration

Important factors to take note of when considering a video projector vs a television-type video display include:

1. Video projectors do not have RF cable or antenna connections like a television has. However, if your cable or satellite box has either S-Video, component, and/or DVI, or HDMI (for HD components) connections you would be able to hook them up to a video projector.

2. Video projectors have a very limited bulb life. In other words, if you are watching TV on your video projector about four or more hours every day, you might need to replace the light source bulb about every 18 months to 2 years at about 200-400 dollars (or more) a pop.

3. Due to the very large screen sizes used in video projection, standard TV or satellite do not look as good as they do on standard large screen television. In addition, VHS looks very poor, due to its low resolution.. If you have HDTV-cable or HDTV-satellite, you would get much better results.

Ideally, video projection is really best for viewing DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD movies and for big events, such as the Super Bowl, or, if viewing a TV program, limit it to that season-ending cliff hanger. If you desire longer bulb life, limit your viewing to about 12 hours a week and your projection bulb will last a few years.

If you are looking for a replacement for nightly TV watching,it would be more cost effective to buy a large screen rear projectiontelevision, LCD, or Plasma set rather than a video projector.

ahh, I kinda figured the quality wouldnt be that nice. The thing I like about projectors is the fact that is compact, Ive got to much $#!^ in a small room and Im trying go for a minimalist-type room.

but 12 hours a week sucks, time flies when youre on COD

Originally Posted by l Knicks Fresh Knick l

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

same here, im on the hunt for a surround sound system, doesn't have to wireless. but if anyone could help i would apprecaite it
I'm about to pull the trigger on this Logitech X-540 Surround Sound System  for about $100 shipped.  I checked Cnet and Youtube for reviews and they are all pretty positive.  Also, if you have questions about hooking up your game system, TV, etc... then check out http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Speakers/How-to-connect-X540-Speakers-to-TV-Monitor/m-p/316842this thread

At first I was worried about the price being too low then I saw that the specs were slightly better than the 2.1 system I have now (which sound good to me).  Also people are saying that these exceeded their expectations at this price point.  I'm sure these will get the job done at the very least.

For those that asked, here's the link to my pj (no longer produced):  Epson Home Cinema 720  I could've gotten one of the lowest-priced 1080p pj's for just a little more than I paid for this, but they wouldn't have worked for my room.  I needed lens shift and a short throw distance because of how small my room was. Plus, this Epson was one of the best 720p projectors made, and had very high end components and features.

And here's a couple pics of my room/setup (I told you it was small
laugh.gif
):

kduxbd.jpg

2qjzjeq.jpg

6puubl.jpg

The plasma is a 42" for reference, homemade screen is 82" (not huge, but the viewing distance is short so it's perfect). Excuse the messy cables and stuff, this was right as I was finishing the room.

It's all a matter of preference as far as projector vs. TV.  Honestly, I love having a projector.  But I wouldn't want it to be my only display, either. I mean they take a minute to warm up/cool down, etc. and the hours would add up a lot quicker if that was all I watched anything on. Honestly, I don't put a ton of hours on mine just because of how busy we are.  But it's great to watch a movie, play some multiplayer, or watch a game on
pimp.gif
. I'll try to take some screenshot pics next time I fire it up, but I honestly don't know how well it would show up on camera.

And as far as picture quality, it's all about the input.  Standard def. cable doesn't look great on a 40 inch tv, so it's obviously not going to look too good blown up on a screen more than double the size. HD cable, Blu-ray and HD games look great (even on my 720p) and DVDs look really good when upconverted.  But yeah, picture quality has as much or more to do with the source resolution and components/receiver/processing, etc. than it does the projector itself.  Good sources will look good on a good projector, but bad sources won't look good no matter the projector.

Hey I am looking to build a sorround system that I also want to use as a stereo for music at parties I have a budget of a 1000$ or under. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom