Help me choose a credit card

Last edited:
anything American Express...

hands down best customer service imaginable and their website is great

American Express only if you have a Visa or MC as back-up. AMEX isn't accepted everywhere so it might leave you hanging at times if that is the only card you carry.

Thanks guys. I think I will go for the AE blue everyday

WARNING: American Express Blue Cash - Here’s The Catch
The American Express Blue Cash credit card is well known for its high cash back on gas and groceries. However there's a catch to this rewards program…

American Express Blue Cash Review
WARNING: Previously this card came with a big catch – a tiered reward program which mostly just benefited large spenders (because annual spending up to $6,500 only earned 0.5% to 1.0% cash back).

Fortunately last year American Express eliminated the tiers and launched a better, new program which I am about to tell you about. If you are an existing cardholder and were grandfathered in with the old program, you may want to call customer service and ask to be switched to the new “Everyday” version, which is far more beneficial than the old program for most consumers.
Blue Cash Everyday
This is the free version and probably the best one for you to start with (you can always upgrade later on). The only difference between the two cards is that the Blue Cash Everyday pays a bit less on your categories, yet it's still extremely generous:
3% cash back at grocery stores
2% cash back at gas stations + department stores
1% cash back on all other purchases
Best offer: Get a $100 bonus for spending $1k in first 3 mo.
Blue Cash Preferred
This version has an annual fee of $75 per year, which means it's typically only appropriate for the hardcore spenders in these categories:
6% cash back at grocery stores
3% cash back at gas stations + department stores
1% cash back on all other purchases
Best offer: Get a $150 bonus for spending $1k in first 3 mo.

Best of all these new cards have no reward caps or tiers and there are none of those “rotating categories” to hassle with. These are the most simple, straightforward reward programs you will find.

How much will you save?
Gas: Think about it… it’s like a 12 cent per gallon discount on $4 gas with the unlimited 3% you get on the Blue Cash Preferred. Best of all, you get that at every station. Right now there is not a gas station or bank-issued card on the market that will give you an unlimited 3% like this does.
Grocery Stores: The average American spends nearly 10% of their income on food. Saving 3% (or a whopping 6%) at supermarkets all year long will equal some serious money, especially if you buy groceries for your entire family.
Department Stores: Not only will you be saving money on clothes, but also the appliances, tools, electronics and whatever else you buy at these stores.
Comparison of the AmEx Blue Cash Everyday vs. Preferred annual savings:

You can save over $500 with just average spending! Secondary cards on the account earn the same rewards, so add your spouse and together you will earn even more!

In addition to some of the highest cash back categories around, these cards also come with free benefits that you won't get from any other credit card company...
Purchase Protection: Have you ever bought something brand new, only to accidentally damage it a few days or weeks later? This plan is a free benefit which protects eligible items against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date you buy them.

Return Protection: Don't you hate it when you can't make a return because you've lost your receipt or the store is just giving you a hard time? With AmEx Blue Cash you have free return protection - if you try and return a designated item within 90 days and the merchant won't take it back, American Express will! They will refund the full purchase price, up to $300 per item, up to $1,000 annually per account.

Extended Warranty Coverage: It seems like stores try and sell you an extended warranty on everything you buy these days. Usually it's too expensive to be worth the price. But what if you could get a free extended warranty? With the Buyer's Assurance Plan (included) you can shop worry-free knowing that the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty will be matched up to one additional year, on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S. This is a free service American Express includes with your Blue Cash Preferred or Everyday card!
Insider Tip: As you know most grocery stores also sell gift cards for places such as Best Buy, Home Depot, iTunes, Kohl's and other retailers. Use your Blue Cash to buy those gift cards from the supermarket... that way you earn 3 or 6% cashback when buying them!
Which one is best for you? Ask yourself these 3 questions...
How many people are in your household?
The biggest difference between the two is the Preferred card's 6% rebate at grocery stores - it's definitely lucrative, but keep in mind it will be costing you $75 per year for that privilege. It probably won't be worth it for singles and couples. The amount they spend per year at those stores won't compare to a big family (who the Preferred card is best suited for).
How much gas does your household buy?
For most people the no annual fee Everyday Blue Cash card is the smartest choice. To earn an extra 1% cash back on gas with the Preferred is nice, but once again you have to factor in the costs. For the average driver it simply isn't worth it.
Do you use more than one credit card?
If you're like me, you use more than one in order to maximize your rewards. If that's the case, it means your full spending won't be going on this American Express. To get your money's worth with the $75 version, you will probably want to be using it for most of your credit card purchases.
Verdict? Without a doubt this line of cards is the smartest choice you can make for consistent, high cash back year round in all these popular categories. Nothing else out there comes even close.

So the only question left is which one? Obviously in my opinion, the free version is best for most people (and it's what I use myself). If you're on the fence about the Blue Preferred, then just start with the Everyday and test the waters. You can always upgrade your account at anytime. But ultimately the choice is yours.

Everyday: Apply now and get a $100 bonus
Preferred: Apply now and get a $150 bonus + your first year free

Normally these cards do not come with any signup bonus whatsoever. That means now is definitely the time to get one, while AmEx is still running these limited-time promotions.

go Blue Cash Preferred; the card is awesome

I use it for EVERYTHING and pay it off completely bi-weekly so I am never charged any interest and get back like $50 a month

the only difference between the blue everyday and preferred is 6 percent back on groceries.

I have the weakest "Platinum" MasterCard, $300 limit and pay an annual fee of $84. I need to get in on this, $300 is useless when I can just use my debit other than places like car rentals and hotels who require a CC

well justified, I do not think I will be spending that much but I am sick and tired of using my debit cards and receiving nothing back

plus the protection on a debit card means if it gets hacked it's your own money; the way credit card companies get people with the cash back perks is most people won't use the card responsibly. I have had my AMEX since 2008 and have yet to be charged a cent in interest because I pay it off and don't over step my bounds. The card is def. worth it if you can do this.

I will also be using my card for online shopping and restaurants too. Dont got a whip yet so no gas. American Express Blue?

I also need a credit card, i could handle my money pretty darn well, but i haven't found a credit card for me yet,
i'm a college student with no job though. any help, i get paid by general jobs around the night. mostly

I also need a credit card, i could handle my money pretty darn well, but i haven't found a credit card for me yet,
i'm a college student with no job though. any help, i get paid by general jobs around the night. mostly

Go with Capital One.

i dont see much difference from bank of america's cc and american express blue everday
It's BoA. Stay away from any product they offer. I used to have a BoA CC and the payment date changes each month to try and get you. AMEX is pretty stable. The CostCo AMEX is pretty solid too if you're looking for a card.

Beware though... you're not just "spending on normal purchases". Anytime you use plastic, you're naturally spend more whether it's conscious or not.

i have several cards but the one i use the most is the costco amex. i get hella cash back at the end of the year. and like someone said amex has the best customer service

Back
Top Bottom