Help With My First Apartment

I'm getting ready to sign the lease for my first apartment. Anyone have any info, tips, or even stories about your first place to help me out?

I'm getting ready to sign the lease for my first apartment. Anyone have any info, tips, or even stories about your first place to help me out?

make sure the drawers in the kitchen are big enough to hold silverware. i didnt and had to get it out of a cabinet. no mold issues. just moved out of my first apartment and i am so happy i did

make sure the drawers in the kitchen are big enough to hold silverware. i didnt and had to get it out of a cabinet. no mold issues. just moved out of my first apartment and i am so happy i did

Go there at night and the day and show up on a weekend. Dont be surprised like I was in my first spot. We went spot looked mellow. *+%*#*% saturday came it turned into *+%*#*% bourbon street. Worse it was like druggies not some young college ladies.

Go there at night and the day and show up on a weekend. Dont be surprised like I was in my first spot. We went spot looked mellow. *+%*#*% saturday came it turned into *+%*#*% bourbon street. Worse it was like druggies not some young college ladies.

Get renters insurance.  Take photos/video of everything because any flaws in the apartment will come out of your security deposit.  Check out the demographic and parking before you move in.  There's nothing like trying to have friends over and they have to walk a mile just to get to your door.

Get renters insurance.  Take photos/video of everything because any flaws in the apartment will come out of your security deposit.  Check out the demographic and parking before you move in.  There's nothing like trying to have friends over and they have to walk a mile just to get to your door.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Make sure you have renters insurance.

Co-sign.

also make sure you saved up enough money for rent, utilities, food, car payment (if you have one), insurance and such for at least 9-12 months in case you become unemployed.

When I moved out last year, it was tough. but you learn through experience and I can tell you this right now, you can't put a price on freedom...FREEDOM!!!

Co-sign.

also make sure you saved up enough money for rent, utilities, food, car payment (if you have one), insurance and such for at least 9-12 months in case you become unemployed.

When I moved out last year, it was tough. but you learn through experience and I can tell you this right now, you can't put a price on freedom...FREEDOM!!!

take pictures of everything before you fully move in.
where i live some places cover electricity to a certain point, some make you pay your own electricity. if you have to pay for your own utilities you might wanna knock on some people's doors in the apt complex and just ask about how much they pay just to get an idea of how much to expect.

if i think of more i'll come back to post

take pictures of everything before you fully move in.
where i live some places cover electricity to a certain point, some make you pay your own electricity. if you have to pay for your own utilities you might wanna knock on some people's doors in the apt complex and just ask about how much they pay just to get an idea of how much to expect.

if i think of more i'll come back to post

take pictures of everything you feel might present an issue before you move anything in
this would include any previous damage or obvious repair

apartments aren't perfect

take pictures of everything you feel might present an issue before you move anything in
this would include any previous damage or obvious repair

apartments aren't perfect

Originally Posted by j0rDan23dunker

Co-sign.

I personally think 9-12 months is not necessary.  I would suggest 4-6 though.

Originally Posted by j0rDan23dunker

Co-sign.

I personally think 9-12 months is not necessary.  I would suggest 4-6 though.

If you want some tips on decorating, just rasterbate all over the walls. Furniture? Look on craigslist for free stuff and just clean it.

If you want some tips on decorating, just rasterbate all over the walls. Furniture? Look on craigslist for free stuff and just clean it.

This helped me out big time for my second apartment. It payed for the last 4 months of my rent when I lost my job.

Keep your spot clean too so when you move out you'll get as much of your security deposit back that you can without them taking money out to "repaint" or clean stains out. Also mark down everything that is wrong too before moving in. Everything. If you don't they'll say you did it.

Back
Top Bottom