Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even if you don't have the virus, wearing a mask sends the message to your neighbors that it is safer to just wear it than not wear it in this moment.

It's like washing your hands when in the restroom even if you didn't touch your weenie to pee. Or using clips on a light barbell. Just do it so everyone builds better habits.

I agree with you but we can't expect everyone to inconvenience themselves by wearing a mask, just to send a message that it is safer.

This just goes to show the different goalposts used by scientists vs politicians.

For scientists, they want to get it right, even if it means going back on something they said earlier when confronted with new evidence. For politicians, they want to be right, even if it means changing evidence to fit something they said earlier.

A politician who said we shouldn't wear masks in March will keep bringing up new reasons in June to avoid wearing the mask (personal freedom! crazy hypoxia/headache theory! you can't change your mind from March, nuh-uh!). A scientist doesn't care if they have to change from March because the metric is always the same (given what we know know, will wearing masks help reduce transmission?).

It was hard to know in March how much masks would help if they don't block all particles. It took a lot of work to understand more about the disease, and there's still more work to be done. Do asymptomatic people spread the disease? How effective is the mask for normal breathing vs coughing vs during exercise? How much harm does a mask do if people start touching their face more often to adjust the mask?

I don't disagree that the CDC should've done a better job with messaging. Instead of saying, "you don't need to wear masks," they should have said, "we don't have enough evidence to support the wearing of masks at this time, but that could change as we learn more." Which I think they did say, but it didn't always make its way to the news outlets and the average person.

My brother got sent home with a fever and a cough from work the other day, few days prior we "hung out" outside by the pool but kept our distance the whole time. My throat is a little scratchy the past couple days so I said screw it and will get tested. Hopefully it's nothing because my mom was also there and she's in her late 60s. Clearly nervous and a little worried but I'll hope for the best and we're all getting tested.

This just goes to show the different goalposts used by scientists vs politicians.

For scientists, they want to get it right, even if it means going back on something they said earlier when confronted with new evidence. For politicians, they want to be right, even if it means changing evidence to fit something they said earlier.

A politician who said we shouldn't wear masks in March will keep bringing up new reasons in June to avoid wearing the mask (personal freedom! crazy hypoxia/headache theory! you can't change your mind from March, nuh-uh!). A scientist doesn't care if they have to change from March because the metric is always the same (given what we know know, will wearing masks help reduce transmission?).

It was hard to know in March how much masks would help if they don't block all particles. It took a lot of work to understand more about the disease, and there's still more work to be done. Do asymptomatic people spread the disease? How effective is the mask for normal breathing vs coughing vs during exercise? How much harm does a mask do if people start touching their face more often to adjust the mask?

I don't disagree that the CDC should've done a better job with messaging. Instead of saying, "you don't need to wear masks," they should have said, "we don't have enough evidence to support the wearing of masks at this time, but that could change as we learn more." Which I think they did say, but it didn't always make its way to the news outlets and the average person.

your last paragraph basically is the root of the current problem of masks. The science behind this went out of their way to say no masks are necessary. in the early days I went grocery shopping without a mask based on this. I concentrated more on hand sanitizer and washing along with social distancing.

Last edited:
I just looked it up after I said that because it sounded wrong and yeah you're right, they did. That's a relief for sure

I live in Orange. Plenty of people still don’t wear masks. There’s no repercussion so people don’t care.

7g5twc11wv751.png

LA COUNTY HEALTH ISSUED A DIRE WARNING, THEY SAY CONDITIONS AMID THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC ARE DETERIORATING RAPIDLY AND THE VIRUS IS SPREADING SWIFTLY THROUGH THE COMMUNITY - LATIMES

LA COUNTY IS NOW PROJECTING THE POSSIBILITY OF RUNNING OUT OF HOSPITAL BEDS IN 2-3 WEEKS - LATIMES

Back
Top Bottom