Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have crazy allergic reactions to pain medication (ibuprofen, Tylenol ect.) as well as food allergies that sent me to the ER more than once so I'm pretty nervous that there could be something in it to make me have a negative reaction.
I have the same issues minus the pain medication which shouldn't be an issue. I see an allergist every week and am allergic to a million things. I can tell you the shot is fine. I brought an epi pen in case and didn't need it. I had no reactions to the vax at all.
What do they give you when you have an allergic reaction? Epinephrine? If so, you can get the shot and keep the epi-pen handy in case you have a reaction. I’ve seen this done at the pop up vaccination clinic they held at my workplace and most often the person was pleasantly surprised they had no reaction at all. They will keep you a little bit longer (~30 min) for observation Worst case, you use the epi-pen and you still get the vax protection. Of course, don’t take my word for it, but your Dr knows your condition best and can give you the right advice.

@ballinsam23 any thoughts on first hand experience?

EDIT: this article describes it better than I could, but the bottom line is that THERE ARE NO KNOWN MEDICAL CONDITIONS THAT PREVENT SOMEONE FROM GETTING A COVID VACCINE.
This.

Last edited:
The new rules here for not having to isolate if you are a contact already seem to be causing problems here generally - and for us personally this time.

Essentially if you are fully vaccinated you aren’t classed as a contact like it used to be - but they’ve also said that anyone under 16 doesn’t have to quarantine if they are a contact. So, my 13yo’s friend’s sister has been positive for a few days - she didn’t tell her that, and under the rules the friend continued to go to school and then her dad took them somewhere yesterday - so she was with her all day and an hour or so in the car. Now, her friend tested positive on her lateral flow test (waiting for PCR result but I’d be surprised if that was negative) and my daughter is all worried - partly because she doesn’t want to get sick but partly because she has a sports trial on Sunday (outdoors) and a music exam next week - so she wouldn’t have gone in the car with the kid if she’d known. She would have t least avoided risky things like that.

The whole thing is just stupid - there’s no reason why kids should be exempt from having to isolate when a family member is positive. Vaccinated people I can understand but sending kids to school in that scenario is just stupid.

Being in healthcare I don’t have the same exemption either so if my daughter ends up positive then I’m off work for a week. Least of my worries but I’ve got things to do and people to look after.

Im also a bit irritated that her friend’s parents didn’t mention it either -I guess it probably just shows that people aren’t taking it seriously now but this whole thing was avoidable.

The new rules here for not having to isolate if you are a contact already seem to be causing problems here generally - and for us personally this time.

Essentially if you are fully vaccinated you aren’t classed as a contact like it used to be - but they’ve also said that anyone under 16 doesn’t have to quarantine if they are a contact. So, my 13yo’s friend’s sister has been positive for a few days - she didn’t tell her that, and under the rules the friend continued to go to school and then her dad took them somewhere yesterday - so she was with her all day and an hour or so in the car. Now, her friend tested positive on her lateral flow test (waiting for PCR result but I’d be surprised if that was negative) and my daughter is all worried - partly because she doesn’t want to get sick but partly because she has a sports trial on Sunday (outdoors) and a music exam next week - so she wouldn’t have gone in the car with the kid if she’d known. She would have t least avoided risky things like that.

The whole thing is just stupid - there’s no reason why kids should be exempt from having to isolate when a family member is positive. Vaccinated people I can understand but sending kids to school in that scenario is just stupid.

Being in healthcare I don’t have the same exemption either so if my daughter ends up positive then I’m off work for a week. Least of my worries but I’ve got things to do and people to look after.

Im also a bit irritated that her friend’s parents didn’t mention it either -I guess it probably just shows that people aren’t taking it seriously now but this whole thing was avoidable.

This sounds like an impossible situation for responsible parents, but I don't trust ANYONE to do the right thing anymore.
What's the lowest age they're allowing vaccinations for in UK? What's your personal/family opinion on vaccinations for kids? Do you intend to vaccinate your children? I realize this can be a sensitive topic, so don't answer if you don't feel comfortable.

D2CD510F-63A6-4542-AB03-79BA4C62BF64.png

I am willing to bet that was done to make it easier for parents to send their kids to school. The last year and a half has taught me that school closures are a political kiss of death.

This sounds like an impossible situation for responsible parents, but I don't trust ANYONE to do the right thing anymore.
What's the lowest age they're allowing vaccinations for in UK? What's your personal/family opinion on vaccinations for kids? Do you intend to vaccinate your children? I realize this can be a sensitive topic, so don't answer if you don't feel comfortable.

16 at the moment but it looks like 12 and up will be approved soon - and we’ll be in the line as soon as possible.

My oldest has an appointment for his second Pfizer dose on Sunday so that’s great timing for going to college in a few weeks.

You're absolutely right that it gets hard to do the right thing - I write most of the guidance for my field (some national stuff and all the regional stuff) so I’ve been really careful to follow it to the letter (because I’m like that and because it’s the right thing in a leadership role) but now that doesn’t matter.

I just checked the kids rules and it’s not quite as bad as I thought - you only don’t have to isolate if you have a negative PCR - but what I’ve been saying all year is that a negative test is worthless due to the incubation period - and my example is exactly what’s wrong with that system (and that’s back to GQP nonsense - “I feel fine” or “I’m tested all the time”) and is going to lead to outbreaks in schools without a doubt. They’ve only been back since Wednesday and we’re seeing it already.

16 at the moment but it looks like 12 and up will be approved soon - and we’ll be in the line as soon as possible.

My oldest has an appointment for his second Pfizer dose on Sunday so that’s great timing for going to college in a few weeks.

You're absolutely right that it gets hard to do the right thing - I write most of the guidance for my field (some national stuff and all the regional stuff) so I’ve been really careful to follow it to the letter (because I’m like that and because it’s the right thing in a leadership role) but now that doesn’t matter.

I just checked the kids rules and it’s not quite as bad as I thought - you only don’t have to isolate if you have a negative PCR - but what I’ve been saying all year is that a negative test is worthless due to the incubation period - and my example is exactly what’s wrong with that system (and that’s back to GQP nonsense - “I feel fine” or “I’m tested all the time”) and is going to lead to outbreaks in schools without a doubt. They’ve only been back since Wednesday and we’re seeing it already.

Appreciate your honesty. For clarity, you're saying the girl your daughter was exposed to knew she was positive and still going to school and knowingly exposing others, including your daughter?

Appreciate your honesty. For clarity, you're saying the girl your daughter was exposed to knew she was positive and still going to school and knowingly exposing others, including your daughter?

No sorry, it’s messy.

Let’s call friend Amy and my daughter Bella.

A few days ago Amy’s sister became unwell, got tested and was positive. Whole family got PCR tests the next day and came back negative so Amy continued going to school. Yesterday evening Amy’s lateral flow test (kids are doing them twice weekly voluntarily) came back positive so she’s arranged a PCR for confirmation (but like I said I’d be surprised if it was negative - she’s living with a known positive case).
That day Bella spent most of the day with Amy including eating lunch (outside but unmasked obviously) and a car journey so she’s had pretty decent exposure only a few hours before she tested positive. Amy didn’t go to school today as she’s waiting for the test results.
Plus, as you say she was around other kids at school - masked most of the time but not always.

This is all avoidable if we’d stuck to the isolation period for family contacts - it’s not exactly rocket science.

As toooldforthis toooldforthis said though it was all about keeping kids in school - but that’s a fairly shortsighted view if they start getting sick in decent numbers.

Back
Top Bottom