Hideki Irabu dead at 42

Originally Posted by dyyhard

SHOCKER!! I saw him at Marshalls Torrance, CA with his wife late last year/early this year??? I bought a Nike Yankees baseball jacket and as I was leaving the checkout, I thought it was him. So I went up to him and asked if it was him, and he said politely acknowledged yes. I showed him the Yankees jacket I bought and said I was a fan. Shook his hand, he smiled and said thank you. Seemed like a quiet, polite guy. DAMN. RIP.

heard he lived nearby in Palos Verdes (wealthy area) and had a dui in Gardena...
The one at Del Amo or 190th?
nerd.gif

SHOCKER!! I saw him at Marshalls Torrance, CA with his wife late last year/early this year??? I bought a Nike Yankees baseball jacket and as I was leaving the checkout, I thought it was him. So I went up to him and asked if it was him, and he said politely acknowledged yes. I showed him the Yankees jacket I bought and said I was a fan. Shook his hand, he smiled and said thank you. Seemed like a quiet, polite guy. DAMN. RIP.

heard he lived nearby in Palos Verdes (wealthy area) and had a dui in Gardena...
frown.gif

MARINADELREY and finnns2003 wrote:

The one at Del Amo or 190th?
nerd.gif

Del Amo. He was waiting for his wife(average japanese petite woman), I think she was returning something. Saw a 6'2" large asian dude wearing jeans and looked like Irabu so I went up to him. Don't think many people know who he is. Now that I recall, his handshake wasn't strong, so he just came across as a gentle giant(for asian standards think he's was 250). Also, didn't say any words other than oh and thank you, so not sure how well he spoke English. 

Very random to hear of this happening. R.I.P. nonetheless.

Irabu was one of, if not the, first players to come from Japan to the MLB, right?

Can't send condolences to someone who took their own life but I do hope he's happy with his decision

Originally Posted by bkmac

Very random to hear of this happening. R.I.P. nonetheless.

Irabu was one of, if not the, first players to come from Japan to the MLB, right?
A little bit after Nomo. Definitely one of the pioneers.

Too bad that he used his arm up so much by the time he got over here. Dude was throwing 100 in Japan

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Can't send condolences to someone who took their own life but I do hope he's happy with his decision

I can't respect that so its whatever, see-ya. However, my condolences to his friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom