High school eliminating the term "freshman," to be more gender inclusive.

High school eliminating the term "freshman," to be more gender inclusive. Will call students "first years"
http://bit.ly/2ziNDb5

DRSum4YX0AMFOSK.jpg

EASTHAMPTON, Mass. (WKRC) - A high school in Massachusetts is trying to eliminate the word "freshmen," according to a report by WWLP.

Easthampton High School wants to change the term to "first year students" to be more gender inclusive.

The change was recommended by a Gender and Sexuality Alliance Group at the school. The group went through the school's handbook and came up with suggestions on how the language could be more gender neutral.

“Currently High School students would have the right of free speech to use the term 'freshmen',” James Winston, Esq., told WWLP. "The school would have a very high bar to show that there was some type of harm that would happen with that term being used."

The school's superintendent released a statement making it clear that students could still say freshmen if they choose to.

Easthampton High School was recently instructed to undergo diversity and inclusion training after being investigated by the Attorney General's office for racial incidents at the school.

Whatever yo, they just gonna keep forcing this down our throats.

Midas swell open wide.

if there's something else besides women and men.... tell me.... cuz im confused.

I’m more so interested in how this came about as the result of an investigation on a racial incident.

I get the logic of the change in terminology, though. Don’t really care enough either way.

We the only English speaking country that uses freshman?

I just graduated last summer and heard people use first/second/third/fourth/fifth year more.

From the article OP posted, this was merely suggested...nothing is set in stone. The change in terminology was recommended....not mandated.

Back
Top Bottom