Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 3/16/08 ...UPDATE

here's 3 things people aren't taking into consideration,

-ringtone downloads

-homie's on a independant, they don't ship as many copies as a major.

- I-tunes

fat joe will finish out this album like he does with all his other albums...either barely gold or just under...just check me-myself-and I

why all the hate towards fat joe in this thread?

after all these years of giving us quality music, maybe not as consistent as we'd like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but damn,,, no respect at all?

i want to see cats like fat joe sell,, he deserves it after all teh work he put in.

lets not act like fat joe cant rap either. due isnt a garbage rapper,,, much better than a lot of the artists that are actually selling records these days.

is it the papoose and 50 cent stuff goin on??
wow,,,, so fat joe is the new ja rule on nt now???

Signing to a independent lable is basically telling yourself that you know you're not going to move units
laugh.gif

Eff outta here that they're making $7 off a record.
Like 50 said.....don't you think I'd go that route if they were really making $7 a record?
Why wouldnt all gold/platinum acts go indie? Yes we know they ship less units, but someone like jay or 50 can make moves to ship a @%! load of units but itsobviously not true

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Like 50 said.....don't you think I'd go that route if they were really making $7 a record?
Why wouldnt all gold/platinum acts go indie? Yes we know they ship less units, but someone like jay or 50 can make moves to ship a @%! load of units but its obviously not true

same thing i be thinkin
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

Why wouldnt all gold/platinum acts go indie? Yes we know they ship less units, but someone like jay or 50 can make moves to ship a @%! load of units but its obviously not true

same thing i be thinkin
laugh.gif

Thats ALWAYS my argument!

Originally Posted by PastorTroyNY

why all the hate towards fat joe in this thread?

after all these years of giving us quality music, maybe not as consistent as we'd like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but damn,,, no respect at all?

lets not act like fat joe cant rap either. due isnt a garbage rapper,,, much better than a lot of the artists that are actually selling records these days.
eyes.gif
Quality music he didn't write.
I dislike THIS INDUSTRY and Fat Joe is a good example.
He has no talent, his $ and connections are keeping him afloat. hes buying lyrics/beats to give us prepackaged garbage.

If you were an A&R and you saw Fat Joe fresh on the street kicking around ANYTHING from his last 2 albums would you even give him a 2nd listen?

Originally Posted by XxThe King Of KingsxX

So Rick Ross >Snoop Dogg!?!?

Damn retiremen for Snoop should be considered.

I HATE NOW Series SHHT

Retirement? Please...he can leave the game when he wants, he has his fan base and selling over 100,000k fist week is good.

Hip Hop returned to the charts this week, in a major way. In the trifecta of releases from Fat Joe, Snoop Dogg and Rick Ross, it was the youngest, and southern representative that took the coveted #1 spot. Just under the two-hundred thousand mark, Ross' Trilla is the best first week selling rap album of 2008. Not far behind, Snoop Dogg also fared well in an impressive first week - can Ego Trippin' crack the platinum status in the US that The Blue Carpet Treatment fell just a tad short of?

Of the three, the independent delegate, Fat Joe cracked the Top Ten with a #6 position, selling just under 50,000 units. Will 50 Cent's recent prophecy to XXL hold true that Joe Crack will fail to reach 100,000 on Elephant in the Room be true?

Surprisingly, it was Mary J Blige and Alicia Keys who gave up Top Ten seats to Janet Jackson and Erykah Badu. As commercial urban radio isn't playing Badu's single "Honey," will the adult contemporary market sustain the eclectic R&B veteran?

Top 200 Album Sales (Top 5 Hip Hop/R&B)

[table][tr][td]Rank[/td] [td]Artist[/td] [td]Album[/td] [td]This Week[/td] [td]Total[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1
[/td] [td]Rick Ross
[/td] [td]Trilla
[/td] [td]198,375
[/td] [td]198,956
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3
[/td] [td]Snoop Dogg
[/td] [td]Ego Trippin'
[/td] [td]136,575
[/td] [td]136,943
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6
[/td] [td]Fat Joe
[/td] [td]The Elephant In The Room
[/td] [td]46,125
[/td] [td]46,260
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8
[/td] [td]Janet Jackson
[/td] [td]Discipline
[/td] [td]37,560
[/td] [td]276,410
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9
[/td] [td]Erykah Badu
[/td] [td]New Amerykah: Part One
[/td] [td]34,808
[/td] [td]200,399[/td] [/tr][/table]
Further down the charts, the Atlantic/Asylum fold continues to dominate early 2008 with consistent success from Lupe Fiasco, Webbie, Shawty Lo and Flo Rida and Bun B on deck. In a strange showing, Del The Funkee Homosapien returned with his first solo album in eight years, with New York indie mainstay Definitive Jux to put up over 5,000 units of his 11th Hour return record.
Other Notables…

[table][tr][td]Rank[/td] [td]Artist[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Album[/td] [td]This Week[/td] [td]Total[/td] [/tr][tr][td]29
[/td] [td]Webbie
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Savage Life 2
[/td] [td]18,448
[/td] [td]119,907
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]41
[/td] [td]Lupe Fiasco
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]The Cool[/td] [td]15,230[/td] [td]407,718
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]64
[/td] [td]Shawty Lo
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Units In The City
[/td] [td]10,631
[/td] [td]55,573
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]122
[/td] [td]Del The Funkee Homosapien
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]11th Hour
[/td] [td]5,810
[/td] [td]5,985
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]--
[/td] [td]Tech N9ne
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Everready
[/td] [td]698
[/td] [td]136,788[/td] [/tr][/table]
Will the Florida love hold for another strong week from Rick Ross? Or will fellow Poe Boy Entertainment artist Flo Rida challenge the charts with his debut? Can Sheek match the independent intensity that put Fat Joe in the Top 10, or will he follow Styles' trend in late-2007? As Lupe goes for gold, Freeway and Ghostface Killah are dangerously close to cracking 100,000 with their Def Jam releases. Stay tuned to HipHopDX to see how March melts down.
FROM HIPHOPDX

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

same thing i be thinkin
laugh.gif

Thats ALWAYS my argument!

The reason big artist like jay and 50 won't do that is because they would probably lose money doing that. Jay had a million dollar campaign(literally)for kingdome come and only did a Mill. If he was on an independant with no promotion he would go gold at best, All those endorsements thrown at him woulddissapear, the publishing deals would be substantially smaller, Touring opportunities would be hard, Ability to start up labels(Rocafella, G-unit) and developnew artist to make money off of would be harder etc.

All of that multimedia exposure that guys like 50 and Jay get would dwindle which hurts them because that's where they make all of there money from. Fora guy like Cam or Joe they weren't going to be headlining worldwide tours or doing a whole bunch of TV shows regardless so it's better for them to goto an independent where they could really make money off there albums. The independent thing has been praised by Dipset, Fat joe, Ice Cube(Who stated he mademore off his independent album then he did off any other album he's ever done), B.G, Master P, Prodigy(who is actually signed to G-unit)

Why would all these rappers be lying about this. Superstar rappers such as Eminem, 50, Jay lose money if they go to an indie. While established artist likecam, joe, cube can make more money off an indie because they are'nt considered superstars.

^^^well 46,250 is a big difference from 33,000, if its nearly 50k then i dont see it as failure...i dont see him gettin 7 dollars an album but i do believethey get more per cd than a major label album....good week for ross even tho i didnt really like that album big ups!will lupe go platinum? didnt rock with thecool like i did food & liquor

if Flo Rida does NOT sell with those TWO singles he's been killing the clubs and streets & shows with ...there is no hope for ANYBODY

Fat Joe gets $4 AT BEST per CD.

I know someone who used to be one of the heads of marketing over at Def Jam south and he told me that the whole "$7 a cd" is a blown up figure.

It's $4 a cd AT BEST, which means not everyone gets that.

And somebody tell Captain Save a Joe up there to chill out.

if Flo Rida does NOT sell with those TWO singles he's been killing the clubs and streets & shows with ...there is no hope for ANYBODY

Yea that's how I feel but at the same time I don't think Flo-rida has established himself as a rapper yet. I think Timbo and T-Pain overshadow himon the 1st couple of singles but I see no reason to believe why dude shouldn't do 100k his first week. Crazy how big his two singles are though.

I don't know why dudes knockin' Fat Joe. He's indie. I don't know how much he makes per record and don't care. But I do know bein' on aindie off the back gives you a disadvantage compared to major's because you don't ship out as many albums as a major does. I just never understood whydudes find it hilarious when a dude does 50k on a indie. You expect him to do 100k? Seriously?

Originally Posted by doyung9

Fat Joe gets $4 AT BEST per CD.

I know someone who used to be one of the heads of marketing over at Def Jam south and he told me that the whole "$7 a cd" is a blown up figure.

It's $4 a cd AT BEST, which means not everyone gets that.

And somebody tell Captain Save a Joe up there to chill out.

How would someone at Def Jam South know?

ROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
pimp.gif
shoulda moved more tho, up a little from the 187K hepushed from port of miami in 2006

that fat joe ain't bad, just listened to that joint, it's actually pretty good, i guess 46K ain't bad, coming from an independent.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom