Hip-Hop Posters (Web Store Now Open For Business) Vol. Hip-Hop Vol. Shameless Self-Promotion

UPDATE:

Web store now live at http://hiphoppostersbymitcht.bigcartel.com/

Only a small selection available at the moment. If this gains traction, I'll add more and may even make some tees up that rival this mighty bad boy

:rofl:

As always, feedback is appreciated NT fambz

OG post in spoiler

Like the title says I'm trying to design a poster a day all inspired by hip-hop lyrics. Basically making these as experiments in typography and illustration to keep my skills up/keep me occupied while I'm on holidays from study.

Check 'em out, and if you like 'em, let me know, If you don't let me know too. All criticism is welcome.

More here
http://hiphoppostersbymitcht.tumblr.com/

I'll try and update this thread as I make and upload more.

Peace!

Last edited:
Love the creativity in your work and your willingness to accept comments, good and bad.

I don't like the first poster's font. I think it should be more solid, easier to digest and less of an eyesore. Digging the minimalist depiction of the skeleton figure.

I like the second one too. Once you've mastered your craft, or at least have gotten them polished enough, you should look into printing them with high-quality inks and paper and sell them on Etsy. I'm sure NT'ers would buy from you if they like your work.

i follow your blog !

yeah the font is lacking...and i'd mix it up with the colors, not always black backgrounds, it'd be dope if the wutang one had a yellow background...like switch the colors

You definitely need to tag your work fam. Far be it from someone lurking these threads to steal your designs and profit off of them.

Love the creativity in your work and your willingness to accept comments, good and bad.
I don't like the first poster's font. I think it should be more solid, easier to digest and less of an eyesore. Digging the minimalist depiction of the skeleton figure.
I like the second one too. Once you've mastered your craft, or at least have gotten them polished enough, you should look into printing them with high-quality inks and paper and sell them on Etsy. I'm sure NT'ers would buy from you if they like your work.

Thanks man. Don't see how you can improve without hearing both the good and bad :lol: just willing to hear any feedback essentially. Typo is a bit of a sore subject for me at the moment, slowly trying to improve on it. Such a fine line between good typo and bad.

Not sure what the copyright legalities are regarding song lyrics/allusions to popular songs, but that is definitely an idea I'll have to look up. At this stage, I'm not really trying to turn a profit from this, just doing it to try up my portfolio/express creativity without the limits of briefs/constraints.

i follow your blog !
yeah the font is lacking...and i'd mix it up with the colors, not always black backgrounds, it'd be dope if the wutang one had a yellow background...like switch the colors

Thanks for following, the reason I put this up here is so that I could get immediate feedback from a community with members that I interact with on a semi-regular basis, the majority of whom listen to hip-hop and will give brutally honest opinions :lol: Plus I find Tumblr to be a bit of circle jerk sometimes and most people are just there to increase their follow count.

You definitely need to tag your work fam. Far be it from someone lurking these threads to steal your designs and profit off of them.

I was thinking about putting a signature on them somewhere, but thought it would be too artsy-fartsy/pretentious. I'll have to look into it from now on.

Check out Fab.com for inspiration. They have vendors on there all the time selling prints, a lot are typo-centric and definitely something I'd buy.

Check out Fab.com for inspiration. They have vendors on there all the time selling prints, a lot are typo-centric and definitely something I'd buy.

Good looks. I checked some of them out, looks like they are more into trying to create typography that is the image rather than have it be secondary to the image. I'll have to give that a shot.

Here's my newest piece
tumblr_mb924gpGhz1qiuv6so1_1280.jpg

I've also got a Saul Bass inspired piece for Jay-Z's D'Evils that I can't post on here because it has a censored word on it :lol:

the DOOM one on your tumblr is cool. like others have said tho, the fonts could use some help.

Heltah Skeltah one is dope, as are the 2 jay z and wu ones.

You need a nas one

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm bound to get the darn fonts right soon haha

Aw man.. Good job. What's your background?

Currently studying graphic design. Doing this as a side project basically, until I get bored with it.

GHIMS, NaS poster will be coming soon. Probably something Illmatic inspired :smokin

Those are ill.
I could definitely see myself coping some for my place after I graduate.

I think your most recent creation is too busy. Too many words and the font does not work well. Looks too mundane, too Paint-esque.

Direction is good though.

This is a dope idea, so much wallpaper potential. Need more JAY-Z ones though, focus on those for about a month only.

Back
Top Bottom