Hiphopsite.com 2011 Year In Review: The 10 Most Disapointing Albums

10. Beastie Boys – Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2 – Capitol – Not a bad album, but since when do The Beasties deliver something that’s not quite up to snuff? Too many classics preceding this one.
9. Travis Barker – Give The Drummer Some – Interscope – This LP from the Blink 182 drummer boasted appearances and super-collabos from various members of the Wu-Tang Clan, Rick Ross, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dogg, Kid Cudi, Busta Rhymes, and tons more, but ultimately didn’t work. The whole thing unfortunately lacked chemistry, as many of the guest shots sounded like guys simply clocking in, dropping 16 bars, and clocking out.
8. Mac Miller – Blue Slide Park – Rostrum – Mac Miller’s buzz leading up to the release of Blue Slide Park would make you think this was the second coming of Eminem, boasting a million Twitter followers and religious fanbase, singing along to every word at his shows. Blue Slide Park was the first indie LP to debut @ #1 on the Billboard charts since The Dogg Pound’s Dogg Food in 1995 (!), however ultimately the album was criticized for having no clear direction, with Miller still struggling to find his sound.

7. Lupe Fiasco – Lasers – Atlantic – The story of Lupe’s Lasers is an intriguing one. After three years of delays and a very public lashing of his record label, Atlantic bent to the will of the people, just before they found a mob of angry fans occupying the streets outside their office. This led to Lupe’s biggest and best selling LP ever, despite being blackballed by some disgruntled members of the blogging community. Unfortunately, despite this sensational success story, the LP was blasted by critics as a lame attempt at crossing over. Go figure.
6. Wale – Ambition - MMG – We’re happy for Wale’s success, but it came at the expense of his underground following. True, Wale did deliver this year on the mixtape front, but his MMG debut, Ambition, did little to carve an identity for himself among the rest of his labelmates. The Bawse raised the level of quality in production for his own Teflon Don LP, we can’t understand why that same level of respect wasn’t shown here.
5. Wiz Khalifa – Rolling Papers – Atlantic
Wiz’s career exploded late last year with the release of Kush & O.J. and “Black & Yellow

How did Watch The Throne disappoint? Sounds like they were expecting the resurrection of Jesus. People need to chill.

Agree with RED Album and Lasers though, those were trash excluding a handful of tracks combined.

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

How did Watch The Throne disappoint? Sounds like they were expecting the resurrection of Jesus. People need to chill.

Agree with RED Album and Lasers though, those were trash excluding a handful of tracks combined.
Meanwhile, it's among the 20 most acclaimed albums (not just hip-hop, overall) of the year along with Black Up and Take Care.
Can't please everyone you know, especially those looking for their favorite kind of sound when they hunt for music. But as they say, opinions are like %+@$*!%%...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"[/font]Mac Miller’s buzz leading up to the release of Blue Slide Park would make you think this was the second coming of Eminem"

indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Whenever people compare Mac Miller to Em, I dunno whether to laugh or cry.

This list is complete crap. Watch the Throne is the album of the year. Personally I enjoyed R.E.D. Not his best work, but a bunch of dope tracks on there.

Lasers and C4 were certainly disappointments though.

All the comments after are pretty dumb, but I do believe all those albums were disappointments. Definitely not in that order though...

WTT was crap sans 3-4 songs.

...but we dont want to get into the "audience" that album was made for...that'll open a can of worms.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

WTT was crap sans 3-4 songs.

...but we dont want to get into the "audience" that album was made for...that'll open a can of worms.
Lemme guess, the kind that doesn't like "real" hip-hop, right 
laugh.gif

Damn, guess I should put the Shaolin and Phonte albums I've been enjoying recently in the Recycle Bin. If you like WTT you ain't into "real" hip-hop. Whatever that label is supposed to mean.

grin.gif

i had really high expectations for WTT and it was a dissapointment. It was still a good album tho, just was expecting a classic :ohwell:

The thing with WTT was it came and went, it was hot for like 2 weeks and after that it was forgotten. No replay value at all.

Expected to see Lasers, Rolling Papers and WTT. Some good points

I liked Reggie, Rolling Papers and RED (I hate Game too).

Back
Top Bottom