HOLIDAY 2021 - Cool Grey 11

Definitely not a strawman, and the discussion is the difference between buying retail and resale.
Unless your a pro player, all sneaker purchases are luxury purchases. Nobody NEEDS sneakers that cost more than $50.
I can't speak to other's financial situations so I wont.
I personally only buy for retail cause that's just how I enjoy the playing the game, not because resale prices would force me into financial hardship. Never bought kicks on credit, and never will.
Jordans are Veblen goods now. The more people pay, the more the demand. Nike, shoe stores, and resellers have no interest in stopping this.

Saying they’re Veblen is a big statement. I think some of the characteristics are there. Except Jordans are not of substantially better quality relative to their counterparts. I typically associate that with a Veblen good. Still I think your point is well taken in that I think the interest (read: demand) increases as the price and manufactured sense of exclusivity increases.

My FTL locker order was supposed to be delivered by yesterday but got pushed back to today cause of “shipper error”, now it says Monday due to “mechanical issues”:frown: hopefully its not the good ol’ FTL “bait n switch” cause I’ve been victimized by them a couple of times already with some hype releases werethey send you a different shoe (usually a garbage shoe that’s not even my size):smh: and really its super annoying cause they just send you a refund and not even try to replace the shoe:angry:
In the same boat. Same exact “issue” too. Hopefully they show up Monday for us

People gonna complain regardless. Try em just can’t get the shoe right…. The PL cut….. the shoe Tre…. The back x….. the crease In the PL…. This is comical
The Shoe tree is whack lowkey. It’s like the 2012 breds all over again

I know the reason is probably due to covid but if you had to delay these by a few weeks i would’ve been ok.

Charge $225 and can’t give plastic shoe trees? Yeah nah imma complain. That’s crazy.
All that previously “fancy” XI packaging and the plastic shoe trees costs about $2 to make. I get your point on principle but the price of these things at this point has nothing to do with anything other than what Nike knows it can charge for probably the most popular Jordan retro and still sell somewhere in the ballpark of a million pairs on day one. That’s it. The only reason it doesn’t charge $350-plus like the resellers is it knows less than 10 percent of the market will pay that much for sneakers. Yes, when you look at SX and GOAT after these releases it SEEMS like Nike could just charge that amount, but 100K people willing to pay those prices ain’t a million people. It’s a matter of volume, plain and simple.
Personally, I couldn’t care less about those cheap plastic shoe trees. Every XI I’ve bought with those, they come out immediately and are never used again. If anything, they just eff up the shape of the shoe if left in them long-term.

I mean, we're all paying $200+ for sneakers that probably only cost $15-$20 to manufacture. We're all overpaying to someone greedy, only choice is how much we overpay and to who.

I don't overpay for my crap because I have methods to get my stuff cheap that I will be discreet about. Yes, the companies are overcharging us, but I have my ways to not overpay as long as I stay within the retail level and never resort to the resale market.

Both a straw man and a false choice fallacy.

Remember, there is also the choice not to buy them if it’s economically unfeasible.

If people are buying at resale prices and thinking “well they’re overpriced anyway, so why not just pay 100% over msrp,” I’d believe that their financial situation - if not now then later - is likely either brittle and precarious or supported by interest heavy credit consumption.

Of course there are exceptions. Unfortunately the young, and people of color, make up few of the exception category and are the demographic that financial irresponsibility impacts the most over time.

In credit scenarios, they’ve both “over paid” for the shoes relative to the retail cost and they’re paying 23% interest over interest monthly.

Either way, both the man and financial institutions are knee-slap, doubled over cry laughing as people post pictures with #drip for shoes that they’ll pay a mortgage payment (and counting) for.

If that’s the case (and that’s a conditional “if”), that behavior shouldn’t be celebrated because it sets people back. Unfortunately they only realize it 10-15 years late.

It’s ok if you tune this out. It will make sense in time.

Hopefully everyone who gets them has budgeted for the purchase and is able to score at retail. Good luck and stay safe and blessed.

You know damn well people aren't conscious about their finances because they feel validated with having material things no matter the price. They basically lack foresight because most of the irresponsible ones only look forward to living for tomorrow and not the distant future.

Thoughtful post. Sounds like you’ve thought through collecting very budget-consciously and are staying away from impulsive decisions. Take care of yourself and stay blessed.

If I wasn't able to acquire the nice releases I got over the years with my methods, I doubt I would be into shoes like that because I simply can't afford them. And I refuse to overpay for something that's cheaply made, especially with all the cheaper materials they use for rehashed shoes to reduce overhead to maximize profit. Being broke has forced me to be resourceful and cerebral with how I get releases.

I also like being picky because it's not like I need all the releases that come out. I only get shoes if I already have attire that I feel go right with them. Being meticulous with what I get saves me space too because things do pile the hell up like that.

I applaud the courage people have to un ds as soon as they get ‘em. I wait years and years until I even think of wearing them.

on a side note I’ve had 2 different waitresses spill drinks on me. Those moments I was glad I only wear beaters. My new rule is 1. Never wear sneakers to restaurants 2. Never wear to the movies. Mfers be stepping on toes to go to bathroom and under the table. **** all that.

I also have the habit of waiting to wear my shoes because I dread being one of a multitude of MFs wearing the same shoes in the same spot shortly after they release. I like to wait to wear them much later after they release because I like the feeling of being the only MF wearing those shoes with them looking fresh and new when I go somewhere because most of the people were anxious to wear them immediately and most likely beat theirs with so many wears.

My shoes tend to also last longer because I'm meticulous with what I wear them with instead of just wearing them with everything like most people do.

In the same boat. Same exact “issue” too. Hopefully they show up Monday for us
Man hopefully these delivery drivers don’t pull any shenanigans, but hearing stories here from people who got their pairs jacked by the delivery drivers makes me a bit on the edge:rolleyes these days you don’t who’s gonna jack you, the store employees or the delivery companies, specially with these types of release:smh:

Charge $225 and can’t give plastic shoe trees? Yeah nah imma complain. That’s crazy.
I just use Ikea shoe trees. :nthat:
Totally get your point though.
Random fact: Pro models are the cheapest you should ball in if you are over 27-28
I've haven't played a game of recreational basketball in at least 5 years. Most I'll do as of now is put a couple shots up lol.

I just use Ikea shoe trees. :nthat:
Totally get your point though.

I've haven't played a game of recreational basketball in at least 5 years. Most I'll do as of now is put a couple shots up lol.
I miss playing ball. My last organized game was the night before the city shut down March 2020. I don’t think I’ve even shot a shot since. Work at home messed my whole **** up lol I feel like I’m always in front of a computer now smh

Man hopefully these delivery drivers don’t pull any shenanigans, but hearing stories here from people who got their pairs jacked by the delivery drivers makes me a bit on the edge:rolleyes these days you don’t who’s gonna jack you, the store employees or the delivery companies, specially with these types of release:smh:
Im a Delivery Driver in Central Florida for FedEx Express, had a Nike Box yesterday for a Nice Apartment complex. Nobody home so I put “Not in, Unsuitable Location” it’s at the Drivers Discretion to release it or not. Im always looking out for my fellow shoe heads. 16years doing it definitely not worth trying to steal anything.

Im a Delivery Driver in Central Florida for FedEx Express, had a Nike Box yesterday for a Nice Apartment complex. Nobody home so I put “Not in, Unsuitable Location” it’s at the Drivers Discretion to release it or not. Im always looking out for my fellow shoe heads. 16years doing it definitely not worth trying to steal anything.
Man god bless you for the important work that you and I hope there a lot more honest people like you on the job, unfortunately there are a few out there who would rather make a quick buck than do the right thing.

2010's had the plastic shoe trees. So they cheaped out on this release?
They literally did nothing for the form of the shoe anyway............The Crep shoe forms i bought with my last 10 $20 coupons from footaction actually keeps the form of the shoe flat.

The ones from IKEA are okay..........they just arent big enough on the front for me.

How much was yours?
Also how well is the Authenticators that eBay uses? Do they do good jobs at spotting bull****? Or is it just random people who signed up for it? Like anyone can do it and pretend the checked it?

They use a team of scientists and robots to authenticate sneakers

But really, they use Sneaker Con and recently acquired the company

I wanted to put this release into perspective and how much more difficult it was compared to the previous years.

The day was December 14, 2019 and it was early afternoon. I was sitting in a car dealership waiting on the finance dude to try and sell me clear coat and windshield protection on my new whip. I successfully, without a bot copped 3 pairs of Bred 11s...from SHOE PALACE!!!!...SHOE PALACE Y'ALL!!! -- Using that 2 minute timer! Y'all remember that?:lol: Didn't know how good we had it

I wanted to put this release into perspective and how much more difficult it was compared to the previous years.

The day was December 14, 2019 and it was early afternoon. I was sitting in a car dealership waiting on the finance dude to try and sell me clear coat and windshield protection on my new whip. I successfully, without a bot copped 3 pairs of Bred 11s...from SHOE PALACE!!!!...SHOE PALACE Y'ALL!!! -- Using that 2 minute timer! Y'all remember that?:lol: Didn't know how good we had it
I think that you have certain years that are easier than others. The year that the SJ dropped were good for me, 72-10s were a breeze, and these CG release was goo to me. But I swung and missed on the Breds and remember the Concords were supposed to be a million pairs as well and when I didnt 'Get Em' I just had to laugh and stop taking these shoes so seriously.

Still pretty bummed I missed out on these. It shouldn’t be this hard to get a pair of shoes I want. I’m not paying resell so I guess it wasn’t meant to be :frown:
I also struck out on these, pretty frustrating. Honestly i’ve given up on being able to purchase releases like these at launch, as sad as that is. I’ll wait until prices dip on eBay, or wait til they do that quarterly “Top Shot” thing and can get them for retail price that way.

Wish I seen this Cool Grey listing on GOAT. Would have been $310 shipped. Pair looks flawless outside of a small hole on the box.

the descent has begun. prices have gone done $10 since I last slept. Everyone rushing to get their Christmas shopping in and selling their pairs. Good luck resellers

No doubt these were harder. I got lucky and got 2 pairs but like you said, two years ago, and even for the Concord release, I was able to cop the Breds and Concords on shoe palace WAAAAAAY after the 7am westcoast time start. I remember thinking I missed out but just kept doing the shoe palace 2 minute timer until it finally let me in.....and this was around 10:50AM!!!! Almost 4 hours after the start of the release!

Back
Top Bottom