Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Sounds like when you reach 20% equity. I'm talking about when you close on a house. Is it possible to pay the PMI off in a lump sum right after you close?

Of course it's possible. But why would you do a fha loan and not a conventional loan if have enough for a 20% DP?

How I got out of PMI could vary from company to company.

I had a conventional loan and got out of the PMI last year pretty easily. (if you have been wanting to refinance, this is the time to look into that.)

But for my loan company, you had to bring the loan to value (believe that was term) to 78%. The reason why it was 78% and not 80% like most would imagine was due to me attempting to remove the PMI before 2 years had past from the origination of my loan.

If you are not looking to refinance, call your company (to find out their rules) and see if they make it necessary to get an appraisal. Gettting an appraisal is actually in your favor considering your home value has likely went up from the purchase price. They will use the appraisal value to determine your 'new' loan to value ratio and tell you how much you would need to pay (to bring the LTV to 78%) to have the PMI removed.

I say look into refinancing now because my dumb but paid $3000 to get my PMI removed, THEN refinanced (which would have removed the PMI) and I could have essentially held onto to more money. I didn't lose because the $3000 went to my equity, but it was unnecessary at the time, causing me to spend more money to obtain my goal.

Last edited:
hmm. thanks guys for the input! I'll speak with some banks and mortgage lenders, but maybe i'll go the conventional way. It's going to be my first property, and I will reside in it, so FHA will still be useful if i decide to go get a 2 family house and rent the 2nd unit. Still on the fence about 1 vs 2 family homes, especially in NYC, but it would be a good investment. I'm just not good with home improvement so i'm a bit hesitant if problems occur with the tenant.

I didn't notice you were from NYC. I closed on my 2 fam in Queens in October. Where are you looking to buy a home ? If you need any help, PM me.

I didn't notice you were from NYC. I closed on my 2 fam in Queens in October. Where are you looking to buy a home ? If you need any help, PM me.

Nice! Congrats on your recent closing! I'm looking to buy in either Queens (preferably) or The Bronx:smile:x). I'll be sure to PM you if I have any specific questions.

Nice! Congrats on your recent closing! I'm looking to buy in either Queens (preferably) or The Bronx:smile:x). I'll be sure to PM you if I have any specific questions.

We moved from Ridgewood to Lindenwood. Hipsters took over Ridgewood and prices are just insane. I would of loved to stay in the area. I'm hoping we can move back in a few years.

Of course it's possible. But why would you do a fha loan and not a conventional loan if have enough for a 20% DP?

My thoughts as well. Maybe due to lower credit score requirements ?

That's a key that gets glossed over. People might have the cash for the DP but their credit isn't good enough for a good rate so going FHA makes sense. We all know how credit scores can be.

This thread is fantastic. Looking to get a property in AZ (mesa, gilbert, chandler, scottsdale, tempe) area within the next 12-15 months with a friend or 2 as partners so we can have the $$. If anyone is from those areas and is wiling to just talk and maybe help me with some advice a PM would be greatly appreciated. I am coming from the Los Angeles area so don't have a ton of experience with those areas yet other than visiting a few times. Been reading a ton of stuff and listening to podcasts on biggerpockets to help familiarize myself with all this real estate stuff. It's all very new to me still.
I grew up in Chandler, so can speak to it a little bit. But wouldn't know specifics of real estate (due to living there when I was younger) but am familiar with the area and neighborhoods, etc. PM me if you want some help.

How I got out of PMI could vary from company to company.

I had a conventional loan and got out of the PMI last year pretty easily. (if you have been wanting to refinance, this is the time to look into that.)

But for my loan company, you had to bring the loan to value (believe that was term) to 78%. The reason why it was 78% and not 80% like most would imagine was due to me attempting to remove the PMI before 2 years had past from the origination of my loan.

If you are not looking to refinance, call your company (to find out their rules) and see if they make it necessary to get an appraisal. Gettting an appraisal is actually in your favor considering your home value has likely went up from the purchase price. They will use the appraisal value to determine your 'new' loan to value ratio and tell you how much you would need to pay (to bring the LTV to 78%) to have the PMI removed.

I say look into refinancing now because my dumb but paid $3000 to get my PMI removed, THEN refinanced (which would have removed the PMI) and I could have essentially held onto to more money. I didn't lose because the $3000 went to my equity, but it was unnecessary at the time, causing me to spend more money to obtain my goal.

THATS WHAT I WAS GETTING AT. THIS THREAD IS GOSPEL FOR REAL ESTATE . LOOKING TO BUY NEXT YEAR IN WESTCHESTER CTY. GONNA HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS FELLAS.

Instead I think it would be better to put it toward getting your loans' principal to 20%.

I put down 3.5% on my home using FHA loan, but got out of PMI and went conventional 2 years later. Bought the Duplex for 440k, total down about 28k w/closing costs(3.5% FHA loan). I got solar panels for both units costing 30k (took out a HERO program loan that allows you to put the loan on the property tax permanently starting a year later.) I got rid of my grass and put in drought tolerant landscaping (doing my part here in Cali). Also put up a small brick wall/fence, and new electric water heater (5k, 20 year warranty).

When I went to refinance the appraiser appraised my place worth 500k, and I was down to 404k  having paid off my loan. I paid the extra 4k of principal and got to 20% conventional loan, gave me 400$+ discount to my monthly payment.

P.S. There's a federal tax credit (named ITC) for 30% of the cost of the solar panels goes back to me in rebate, so 10k minimum coming to me when I file taxes.

Invest in your home rather than paying some mortgage broker/bank.

I definitely wanna do solar panels to boost the value of my crib. I'm probably gonna do it at the end of the summer since my tenants lease ends at the end of October and I can raise her rent to cover the payment. I can't wait to get out of PMI.

I definitely wanna do solar panels to boost the value of my crib. I'm probably gonna do it at the end of the summer since my tenants lease ends at the end of October and I can raise her rent to cover the payment. I can't wait to get out of PMI.

Better do research on the panels before committing. I dunno if things have changed or dependent on the solar company, but I remember trying to sell a house here in SD where the owner had to pay for the panels in full before they could sell their house. I dunno if you plan on keeping your place for a long time or not, but just check on it.

Better do research on the panels before committing. I dunno if things have changed or dependent on the solar company, but I remember trying to sell a house here in SD where the owner had to pay for the panels in full before they could sell their house. I dunno if you plan on keeping your place for a long time or not, but just check on it.
Yup I am not sold on solar panels being an easy house sell at all, especially if you are leasing.

I pulled out of buying solar panels after I did more research.

Last edited:
Is ATL the only city with an issue of New Builds being complete utter garbage? I hear so many stories about all the homes they are rushing to build are all terrible. I assume this may be a nation wide thing with developers trying to get easy money.

With anything, do your due diligence. The program I am in (HERO) puts the solar panel loan on the property taxes, if I sell the duplex, it goes to the new buyer for them to pay off my panels.
how did you end up paying 28k dp? 3.5% is around 16-17K.
The place appraised for 435k, they said come out of pocket with additional 5k or no deal. There were 6 other buyers ready, I paid the extra + closing costs.

My latest flip in Imperial Beach is finally done and on the market. 4 bedroom / 2.5 bath 3061 sq ft. Added a 4th bedroom to take advantage of the huge sq ft and to increase the asking price. Has an ocean view from the upstairs back balcony and just 5 blocks from the beach. Hardwood floors throughout, calcutta quartz countertops, brand new stainless steel appliances, iPad station...took us 3 months to complete due to city permits but loved how everything turned out..especially the master bath.

Can't believe I was able to finish 2 projects in a week. This is by far my favorite flip so far. Just from getting the property at a steal and being able to complete this in less than 5 weeks especially w/ the amount of work that needed to be done. 3 bed/2 bath 1887 sq ft. If you saw the before pics i posted, the front of the house had chimney because the previous owner decided to convert the garage into a living space for some unknown reason. So we converted it back to garage...spent a pretty penny on the garage door and even epoxy'd the garage floor for an added touch. The aluminum garage door is insulated so technically you can turn the garage into a room because there's central heat/air vents in there. Pool was refinished and the views are :smoking Glad we spent the money by doing the whole row of glass to show off the views and did a new fence.
Opened up the kitchen by knocking a couple walls down. Calcutta quartz counters and island, subway tile, new appliances, hardwood floors throughout, iPad station, honeywell thermostat...even painted the front door a blue color for an added pop. Just put it on the market today and tons of people have already came by the house to check it out. Hopefully this one goes quick!

Last edited:
Great work

If you dont mine me asking how many homes did you flip last year?

Either way keep us updated on your new projects

Back
Top Bottom