Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

I do but I was wanting to move back to IL to raise my family because the cost of living is so much lower but then they get you on the taxes.

Yea, not sure IL is the move - state is damn near bankrupt, no? My buddies that live in the northern burbs pay way more than $5k in taxes. One pays $13k a year, over a stack a month on taxes alone!

Found a house we love in Marion, IL... 3 bed 2.5 baths, connected garage, all brick, dual sided fireplace, small yard. House last sold for 200k but I can get it for 155, maybe 150. Only downside are the property taxes are almost 5k a year! ****ing Illinois! We can probably get it lowered by like a G after a new tax assessment for the current sale price, but damn. Almost makes you want to pay twice as much for a house in Colorado because you eventually end up paying that by the time the house is paid off...

Sometimes, I forget that I live in an obnoxiously expensive part of the country with equally obnoxiously high property taxes. Post like yours do a good job of bringing me back to reality...lol.

Around my way, a nice house in a desirable town will easily have property taxes in the 8k+ range.

About to refinance my mortgage from 28 years remaining to a 20 year loan and going to save $100 per month. Zero out of pocket as all closing are being rolled into the loan. Will save well over $100k in interest as a result. 20 year quoted at 2.5% vs. the 4.75% I'm paying now. We basically bought at the peak in '18.

About to refinance my mortgage from 28 years remaining to a 20 year loan and going to save $100 per month. Zero out of pocket as all closing are being rolled into the loan. Will save well over $100k in interest as a result. 20 year quoted at 2.5% vs. the 4.75% I'm paying now. We basically bought at the peak in '18.
🔥

Wow 2.5%, that’s fire.....Congrats :pimp:

Like superantigen superantigen , my view/perception of housing is ridiculously distorted in the context of the US at large.

Any home in a decent location for commuting to work or that has good/great schools, even really bad fixer uppers, are going for 1.2MM+. I'm talking 3 bed 2 bath with ~ 1,4XX > sqft on average as well...

I'm sick just thinking about it

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 4.45.24 PM.png

Fam what was your process like? I'm tryna help moms refinance their home mortage but I don't really know where to begin. Would love some insight.

Fam what was your process like? I'm tryna help moms refinance their home mortage but I don't really know where to begin. Would love some insight.

I called up Quicken Loans in Detroit and told them what I wanted (shorter term and lower monthly payment). They checked my credit and within a day came back with an offer. Then of course I shopped it and went to Better.com and literally within 5 minutes they beat Quicken's proposal. I called QL back and showed them the new offer and they beat it. Shopping it saved me about $40 a month plus $4k on the closing (again, rolled into loan). Better.com is such a winner as far as process goes. They only pull a soft credit check too. I'm going w/QL solely because it's a slightly better deal and shorty put in more work than folks at Better.

You have to shop these deals between at least two companies otherwise they'll just beat your current mortgage and you'll be thinking you got a great deal when you could have got better. I could tell she was UPSET when I told her I shopped it. She started giving me the sales BS. "Save it. Just beat the numbers and it's yours." She understood and made it happen.

Last edited:
Damn they don’t do VA. Calling my company on Monday. VA loans are down to 2 and a quarter. Not bad at all.

You can also find a mortgage broker that will shop your loan out to multiple lenders.

I just read an article that United Wholesale Mortgage is offering 1.875 on 15 years... I gave QL the verbal but haven't signed any paperwork yet. I just reached out to a broker to see if they can get me under 2% on a 15 year through UWM. This is getting interesting.

What’s the best way to find a good mortgage broker? I know my realtor would probably know a few, but I’d like to do an independent search, as well.

I found mine through BiggerPockets forum.

I was keeping track of better.com, quicken, and other cheap lenders and he beat them all. Specific for CO though I think. You could go to your area and find the specific sub forum to ask

I found mine through BiggerPockets forum.

I was keeping track of better.com, quicken, and other cheap lenders and he beat them all. Specific for CO though I think. You could go to your area and find the specific sub forum to ask
What’s the fee run for a brokerif you don’t mind me asking?

What’s the fee run for a brokerif you don’t mind me asking?

His origination charge was $875 if that's what you mean. Total closing costs not including escrow were like $3200. 30y refi at 3.375%. Now w rates under 3 I'm tempted to refi again, but I don't think the closing costs will be worth it.

His origination charge was $875 if that's what you mean. Total closing costs not including escrow were like $3200. 30y refi at 3.375%. Now w rates under 3 I'm tempted to refi again, but I don't think the closing costs will be worth it.

Better.com gave us $0 origination fee.
My friend owns a mortgage brokerage and charged $995, he waived it after we showed him the Better.com offer, I'm sure you can get it waived too.
Ultimately we went with Better.com because you can upload your docs on their site and get the ball rolling faster. They also have a system where they pull all your income and plug it in automatically. On the broker site I had to input everything manually and add docs to email attachments, painful.

Last edited:
Better.com gave us $0 origination fee.
My friend owns a mortgage brokerage and charged $995, he waived it after we showed him the Better.com offer, I'm sure you can get it waived too.
Ultimately we went with Better.com because you can upload your docs on their site and get the ball rolling faster. They also have a system where they pull all your income and plug it in automatically. On the broker site I had to input everything manually and add docs to email attachments, painful.

I did this a few months ago, before corona really kicked off. I have to "season" for 6 months before I could do anything else anyway

Saw a pad I liked.
mira 450k
My realtor said we should come at
465k and for them to help us with 8k in closing costs.
im in Cali.
seem about right?

I've own my house for 6 years. I've recently refinanced, and with the extra payments I should have it paid of in 6 years. Hopfully next year we can start some major renovations. The house turns 100 years old in 2022 :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom