Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Where do you live? Has the area gone through enhancements? Has people from certain socio-economic classes began to move in? What's the average size of each unit? What's maintenance cost? Are there any rules needed to be followed by a board?

Prices of condos have seemingly been on the rise for quite some time now, considering interest rates are rock bottom.
Northern Virginia, about 30-45 minutes from DC, which is a seller's market. No recent enhancements. The average size is around 1100-1200 square feet for a bottom unit. Our board is pretty lax, thankfully. The head of the board lives on the same block as me, and I've made pretty good friends with the vice board too.

Northern Virginia, about 30-45 minutes from DC, which is a seller's market. No recent enhancements. The average size is around 1100-1200 square feet for a bottom unit. Our board is pretty lax, thankfully. The head of the board lives on the same block as me, and I've made pretty good friends with the vice board too.

Your neighbor got that much because people wanted to see how handsome pmatic pmatic really is… THE RUMORS ARE TRUE!

Easy pass on SF. Overrated overpriced city compared to everywhere else in California.

I agree with you, but I still do a lot of business out there, because of involvement we have in tech. Been traveling back and forth from NYC to SF to HK. Need a space out in SF.

You're in a pretty good area. Back when I was working with a lot of commercial real estate companies, they had a lot of properties in their pipeline out in North. VA and the DMV area. Still amazing how there's still growth out there. Majority of work is coming from govt sector? I remember there were tons of govt contractors making the move.

Nailed it amigo - all of my GSB/Haas folks have left other than like 4-5

HBS here.

We still have a few guys out there, but many of my GSB buddies have gone out to TX.

Waiting to hear back on an offer I submitted over the weekend for myself. Not a fan of being on this side of the transaction :lol:

Hank Scorpio Hank Scorpio interesting - I only have two classmates out in TX, a bunch are now in Seattle actually. Madrona is on fire.

Should have hit GSB man!

I applied and got in! At the time, I was living out in SF working in PE.

Back when my mom was alive, I took her out to PA to visit the campus. She fell in love with it, but ultimately, I went with HBS because I had 2 letters of rec from two 78' and 81' HBS alums. Class of 78 ran UBS investment banking for 30 years (built out the damn business), Class of 81 was Blackstone PE CIO. They sold me on HBS hard. It was really hard to pass it up at the time. Interesting how things turned out now though. I run my own PE firm and we're mainly focused in the TMT space.

Oh, the irony 😆

I agree with you, but I still do a lot of business out there, because of involvement we have in tech. Been traveling back and forth from NYC to SF to HK. Need a space out in SF.

A lot of major cities have emerging tech hubs. Is the competition and cost of living to go out there really more worth it?

Hank Scorpio Hank Scorpio nice man - close friend is at Silverlake. I’m actually out the game and “retired”.

I’ll be back in PA in 2 weeks for a few weddings in Napa/Healdaburg (3 in 8 days lmao). Soon to be in-laws still live in PA.

A lot of major cities have emerging tech hubs. Is the competition and cost of living to go out there really more worth it?

My principle motivation is to save time. I've added up all the hours, and I spent roughly 1200 hours up in the air these past 8 years. That's probably based on 144 hours in a 12 month moving average.

I'd rather cut cost than having to be up in the air. That why I bought a place out in HK.

Hank Scorpio Hank Scorpio nice man - close friend is at Silverlake. I’m actually out the game and “retired”.

I’ll be back in PA in 2 weeks for a few weddings in Napa/Healdaburg (3 in 8 days lmao). Soon to be in-laws still live in PA.

That's awesome man! SL has been making some strong moves as of late. We got into ABNB a few years ago during a Series B round. Still have our holdings post-IPO.

my realtor just got back to me... they said my offer was second to the highest bidder and asked me to match which I would have to add 15k to match or at least increase my original offer... mind you my original offer was 20k over list and waiving inspection and appraisal...too rich for my blood so I will go to the other place where my offer was already accepted which I'm paying 20k less for...I have to fix up the bathrooms to make it real nice so I will just use the extra 20k on that instead

Last edited:
my realtor just got back to me... they said my offer was second to the highest bidder and asked me to match which I would have to add 15k to match or at least increase my original offer... mind you my original offer was 20k over list and waiving inspection and appraisal...too rich for my blood so I will go to the other place where my offer was already accepted which I'm paying 20k less for...I have to fix up the bathrooms to make it real nice so I will just use the extra 20k on that instead
Depending on the sizes, 20k can go a pretty long way on the bathrooms remodel...

Also, just curious, how old are you you go boy you go boy .?

We just got a quote to do our master bath… $23k. Nope. I’ll go $15k but no more. It’s a pretty easy job too.

About 6 weeks out from closing . We got lucky in the Nashville market and signed before it got really crazy here

we built in 2018 and have a decent amount of equity. Feeling very fortunate and hoping we can sell our current home with ease
C2996267-8A8F-4762-A844-78D926B8DE12.jpeg
F145ABF2-51A1-49A8-9AF5-1512CD5D63B2.jpeg
110B588C-3374-43ED-8E0D-48E95BAF15D2.jpeg
AD3F9DB4-4272-467C-BA4E-1C9792594F75.jpeg
Is this in Franklin or brentwood?

Back
Top Bottom