Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

What's the best site to check sales in an area ? I know the MLS is the best, but besides that ? I've been using redfin but a lot of homes seem to be missing.

check sales as in comps or sales as in the amount of homes sold in a particular area? realtor is probably the most accurate for property info.. trulia, zillow, redfin etc. are not always accurate. if you want i would be willing to help out and send you a cma from the MLS for locations in the bronx and north of..

Is it weird when a home has multiple agents ? I spoke to an agent a couple of days ago to find out if a home was still available and she ended up telling me that the price was reduced even more. We go check out this place today. It's a 5BR, 3 bath. We'd live in the duplex which has 3BR and 2 baths. There isn't a third bedroom though. The space isn't closed off so it's really a 4 bed 3 bath. Closing it off would make it pretty small. We finish checking the house out and ask dude if he's the agent or the seller ? He says "yeah" but doesn't specify which one. A "Jay theking" was listed as the listing agent today on trulia and zillow. We ask if he knows Elizabeth ? She's the agent we spoke to a few days ago. He didnt seem sure and shrugs. He didn't really seem interested in answering my questions.

Now the same day I called to see if the house was available, I needed to find an agent in the area. I called one, she was driving, and had me the bluetooth but I could barely hear her. She told me to text her my name and the address of the home. I never heard back. I called another agent the next day and we chop it up a bit. He sounds like a solid dude. He tells me to text him my name and the address. He at least replies. I text him this morning to see if he heard back. He texts me back 2 hours later that he should hear back soon. He never gets back to me. They both had a lot of good reviews on zillow & trulia. Should I just keep it moving and find someone else ? It feels like we're getting things done faster than he is.

Last edited:
Is it weird when a home has multiple agents ? I spoke to an agent a couple of days ago to find out if a home was still available and she ended up telling me that the price was reduced even more. We go check out this place today. It's a 5BR, 3 bath. We'd live in the duplex which has 3BR and 2 baths. There isn't a third bedroom though. The space isn't closed off so it's really a 4 bed 3 bath. Closing it off would make it pretty small. We finish checking the house out and ask dude if he's the agent or the seller ? He says "yeah" but doesn't specify which one. A "Jay theking" was listed as the listing agent today on trulia and zillow. We ask if he knows Elizabeth ? She's the agent we spoke to a few days ago. He didnt seem sure and shrugs. He didn't really seem interested in answering my questions.

Now the same day I called to see if the house was available, I needed to find an agent in the area. I called one, she was driving, and had me the bluetooth but I could barely hear her. She told me to text her my name and the address of the home. I never heard back. I called another agent the next day and we chop it up a bit. He sounds like a solid dude. He tells me to text him my name and the address. He at least replies. I text him this morning to see if he heard back. He texts me back 2 hours later that he should hear back soon. He never gets back to me. They both had a lot of good reviews on zillow & trulia. Should I just keep it moving and find someone else ? It feels like we're getting things done faster than he is.

On Zillow it will show the actual Listing agent and other "premier" agents. The listing agent is the person you want to contact. Premier agents pay to advertise and be featured on properties selling on the website.

In regards to choosing an agent, it's really up to you and if you are comfortable with the way they handle certain situations. For me, I always want to be there for my clients whether they text/call me throughout the day or send me emails. It's my job to get back to them in a timely manner. Again, this is thru my personal experience...but if my clients are the ones sending me listings of properties they want to see, that means I'm not doing my job and due diligence to finding them the house they want. I always want to be one step ahead of everything and fill my clients in on what's going to happen next and explain to them the process because buying a house is a big deal and it's already stressful for first time homebuyers. So I want to remedy that and make sure all their questions are answered and to make the home buying process as stress free as possible.

On Zillow it will show the actual Listing agent and other "premier" agents. The listing agent is the person you want to contact. Premier agents pay to advertise and be featured on properties selling on the website.

In regards to choosing an agent, it's really up to you and if you are comfortable with the way they handle certain situations. For me, I always want to be there for my clients whether they text/call me throughout the day or send me emails. It's my job to get back to them in a timely manner. Again, this is thru my personal experience...but if my clients are the ones sending me listings of properties they want to see, that means I'm not doing my job and due diligence to finding them the house they want. I always want to be one step ahead of everything and fill my clients in on what's going to happen next and explain to them the process because buying a house is a big deal and it's already stressful for first time homebuyers. So I want to remedy that and make sure all their questions are answered and to make the home buying process as stress free as possible.

There was a different listing agent I found on a site I never heard of called loopnet a few days ago. As of yesterday, a new agent came up on trulia & zillow. I think the owner was the one at the house yesterday. He didn't look like an agent. He looked like he just came out of work. Dude was just weird & awkward.

I feel the same way. If I was an agent, and I got a call from someone telling me they were already interested in a property, they know its available, and they've already been pre approved. I'd want to get on that right away, right ? I'm going to text him today and if I dont like how things are going by tomorrow then I'm going to just find someone else.

There was a different listing agent I found on a site I never heard of called loopnet a few days ago. As of yesterday, a new agent came up on trulia & zillow. I think the owner was the one at the house yesterday. He didn't look like an agent. He looked like he just came out of work. Dude was just weird & awkward.

I feel the same way. If I was an agent, and I got a call from someone telling me they were already interested in a property, they know its available, and they've already been pre approved. I'd want to get on that right away, right ? I'm going to text him today and if I dont like how things are going by tomorrow then I'm going to just find someone else.

Some websites don't even show the actual listing agent.

I don't want to offend anybody but I've seen and met a lot of lazy agents. i know a couple people who are working with an agent and they are asking me questions about the process. Lol. I'm like...you need to ask your agent those questions.

Aren't agents a dime a dozen?

My aunt and cousin are agents and barely close deals. It's truly an eat-what-you-kill industry.

how do agents get a hold of listings ? do people that are wanting to sell contact the agents directly and say we are interested in selling ?

no idea how this works...

how do agents get a hold of listings ? do people that are wanting to sell contact the agents directly and say we are interested in selling ?

no idea how this works...

Buyers/sellers can contact a local real estate office and pick out an agent. Or they might work with the same agent who sold them a home or thru referrals from friends and families. There are plenty of ways...

The go-getters will go out door knocking or cold call to get a listing. These are the agents who grind and work their butt off and I would be happy to have on my team.

If you or anyone you know is looking to buy/sell/lease real estate in south Florida let me know! Or if you have any questions about the Florida market!

Probably around $300k. Shes looking in the suburbs of minneapolis, $150k range, 1300 sqft preferably. Debt im not positive but it can be paid off beforehand if need be, maybe $10k. She'll be 65 next month. $30k downpayment ideally.

She'll be fine. With a $30k down payment that will bring the loan amount to $120k. At let's say a 4% 30yr fix rate, monthly payments are at $572.90 (not including taxes and insurance). Assuming she has $10k of debt I'm guessing her monthly payments on that is $200 or less, which should still keep her below a 50% debt to income ratio which will qualify her for a loan. Worse case, she can pay off the debt.

Yeah also first time home buyer loans , she may be able to qualify. Check into those Frank.

Thanks guys, she was approved for $175k and they even offered her more lol. Now we've just been searching high and low for the perfect place. The strategy has been to look for the new listings that will likely sell right away as opposed to stuff thats been on the market a month or two? Any additional advice for this stage of the buying process? TIA

Last edited:
Buyers/sellers can contact a local real estate office and pick out an agent. Or they might work with the same agent who sold them a home or thru referrals from friends and families. There are plenty of ways...

The go-getters will go out door knocking or cold call to get a listing. These are the agents who grind and work their butt off and I would be happy to have on my team.
What brokerage are you with?

What brokerage are you with?

My business partner and I created San Diego City Homes. Both of our licenses hang under a broker. It's just me and my business partner at the moment but I envision building a real estate team in the future. For now, we are able to handle the workload but it is starting to get crazy but I'm loving every minute of it.

That's what's up. I want to do the same thing in south Florida. Right now I work for Keller Williams and after I sell and lost a couple more houses I would like to open up my own brokerage as well. Thinking of taking the brokerage class this summer.

Go for it! I just love having the freedom and being able to do what I want without answering to anybody.

I should've taken my brokers license my first go around. After I passed my RE test, that's when I found out I could've taken my brokers license. FML.

That's what's up. I want to do the same thing in south Florida. Right now I work for Keller Williams and after I sell and lost a couple more houses I would like to open up my own brokerage as well. Thinking of taking the brokerage class this summer.
Member of #1 KW team in the world here 8)

My business partner and I created San Diego City Homes. Both of our licenses hang under a broker. It's just me and my business partner at the moment but I envision building a real estate team in the future. For now, we are able to handle the workload but it is starting to get crazy but I'm loving every minute of it.
Nice I have a buddy out in SD that is starting to dabble in investing. Not sure if he has a go-to agent/builder, but if he doesn't, I'd be happy to link you guys up...

Nice I have a buddy out in SD that is starting to dabble in investing. Not sure if he has a go-to agent/builder, but if he doesn't, I'd be happy to link you guys up...

I would appreciate that. Always good to meet new people. There's plenty of opportunities out here in SD for everybody to win.

will be going for my broker license soon and establish my own team(investing).. already got a attorney, title person and a few agents.

same KW here in NY.. :smokin
Nice, man. I know several agents, a few on the team with me, that have their brokers licenses and once had their own brokerages. They liked it at first, but it ended up making more sense for them to shut it down in the end....If you have the right client base though and the drive, it can definitely make sense.

I'm an agent and might be able to help you get started. Depends on credit, price range, location, buy and hold or buy and flip, and how motivated you are. Education is definitely key so a site like biggerpockets.com will help you learn a lot about real estate like for instance being in a condo and having to deal with hoa fees or trying to cop a co-op and having to get board approval. You can learn a lot of stuff and I'd always be willing to help anybody around Westchester County and NYC area.

thank you, I'll send you a DM shortly.

Back
Top Bottom