Home theatre heads check in... Need some advice on what I'm doing.

Honestly, I don't know squat about home theatres, but I was able to rig up a lil something-something for my room a few years ago. I don't even consider it a home theatre, just big speakers.

(pic, excuse the mess. And its an old pic lol)
Spoiler [+]
tumblr_kze0tq6nTw1qat117

All it really is is a shelf boom box with the tall speakers replacing the ones off the box. In the pic, I'm using the TV as a monitor through VGA and audio through a frickin' casette (from the boom box) to 3.5mm jack thing into the laptop. Not pictured is my 360 that goes to the TV through HDMI.

My birthday is coming up and I want to switch up what I want to do with this. Essentially I want to get some kind of receiver where all the components (TV, 360, computer, iPod) I have will play through the large speakers. In addition to the two tall ones, I've a pair of small Boses and a sub (if it matters). My room is small (less than 10ft x 10ft), so I don't need anything too big. An added bonus would be an iPod adapter (not necessary though).

So have at it NT, what do you guys recommend to get some knock in my room?

You got a small room, you don't need 5.1. 2.1 will work just fine. Plus, 5.1 is hard to get right and you'll need a center channel.

Those speakers look vintage. I bet it's a 3 way(midbass, midrange, tweet), and it will take power to get those moving. Look on the back, there should be a make and model #

You got a budget?

^^ They're Technics SB-452 and yeah they're pretty old. Something like 22-23 years I think. Budget would be 200-350. The boombox they're connected to does a decent job but not everything can be played through them.

350 won't get you both.

A "decent" entry level sub alone might run you $200. Double that for a good receiver that has all the goodies you'll need.

I have an "okay" sub right now. I think I just want everything to be played through bigger speakers lol. What receivers would you recommend?

Not bad stuff. I dont see how that Onkyo 7.1 system on the front page costs less than $300 though when you recommended a simple 2.1 lol.

for any that can help me out my home theatre turns on and shuts off right away and it blinks protection. what the hell is this ;(

Back
Top Bottom