Horrible era of music.... well, Rap/Hip-Hop at least....

Yes yes, it is the same with every other genre as well. They're all pretty bland at the moment, at least from what I follow. I haven't seen any or heard anything groundbreaking just yet. Its as if, you gotta be what the next man is and even when you do something different people will hop on cuase of the sheep mentality. Things pick up steam like any other trend, except they pick up steam faster now due to social media networks (which is good thing and a bad thing if you think about it). The renovating ideas seem to be disposable. Vast majority of my generation doesn't think for itself. I won't act like I'm holier than thou, but I it's so easy to notice. The originality is non existent at this point in time, but it's ok. It has to change, it has to progress....

I'm referring to independent artist of any genre with my post, not older artist whom established themselves and have their own niche already.

:lol:

All I will say is that y'all have gotta dig depper, and '06-07' is easily the worst two year period in hip-hop EVER.

:lol:
All I will say is that y'all have gotta dig depper, and '06-07' is easily the worst two year period in hip-hop EVER.

And how telling is it that Lil' Wayne's surge way into the mainstream was the catalyst for that awful period? Also, 2005 was the last year that everybody under the sun was going platinum (or on their way to platinum). That should be noted as well.

Last edited:
What era was good? I'm curious? You mean to tell me with all this access to music and the artists being able to reach the people directly more than ever there is nothing good or even ground breaking and classic?

most of these new artists are just straight up mediocre.. it's people labeling dudes the next big thing when in reality there just a carbon copy of another artists persona/style. i just can't into their music wether it be kendrick lamar or even ASAP Rocky who music i like but his whole gimmick is wack imo. and don't even get me started on dudes like j. cole the boring/star rapper image is super lame. sure you can rap but what else can you do. no one in this era is doing anything groundbreaking honestly.

I hate listening to the radio these days, i hate when my friends suggest me music, i hate listenin to this garbage rap now days.

this. I think the internet has been one of the downfalls of hip hop music. Look at the 1st artist to blow mainly using the internet.....Soulja Boy...enough said. However while there is still some good music out there, its still few and far between, and now more than ever I find myself leaning on the classics.
I think the answer is to branch out beyond hip hop though. I still keep my favorite hip hop albums, but I deleted all the filler and started replacing it with jazz, and other genres that I am learning to enjoy equally as much
That Robert Glasper Experiment "Black Radio" album is something serious though!
smokin.gif
I think you right.  First off, you have to look as the accessibility of music. Nowadays anybody with a computer and a mic can make rap music. Back during the late 70 to 90s dude had to be talented or committed to get any sort of shine or recording. You got thristy dudes in the street seeing Soulja Boi make a ****** beat with a idiotic song over it and make millions. So that motivates them to do the same and follow suit.

I absolutely hate listening to the radio today..I avoid the radio at all cost.. My iPod is always on me..

I Believe that now more than ever quality music is dropping.

dudes have to realize that nowadays the criteria is completely different for rappers. No longer are dudes given time to fall back for a year or two and drop an album of their best work.

Instead you have to drop two mixtapes full of good work, dozens of feature verses, numerous videos, Deal with leaks, All to keep a fanbase in tact just to keep your Buzz. Dudes in the 90's didnt have to flood the market to stay afloat and it wasn't because everything they dropped was classic it was because there were MUCH less options to choose from and music releases were at a much slower pace.

Imagine if Cole/Kendrick/Wiz etc could have kept his top 12-15 tracks W/o having to give them away for free just to have the general public keep paying attention. Instead of sharing the platform with other great musicians......... They have to share them with dudes who are releasing good material & also the slew of horrible artist that get shoved on the same websites, radio shows, mixtapes as them.

I feel the amount of good rap is as high as its been in the past 10 years, however the amount of publicity trash rappers get has increased ten fold also making it much harder for that music to stick and be appreciated the way it's suppose

Guys are touching upon something I've been discussing with friends for a bit.

We are very much in a quantity over quality world right now. And a lot of that has to do with the internet.

Pre internet, you would take your time to craft an album. Didn't have to worry about leaks as much.

And the time in between albums built anticipation for your project. You didn't "overexpose" yourself.

The rules are the opposite now. You do better the more active you are. Being on every feature. Pumping out mixtapes and viral videos.

How great can your product be if you're not even really taking your time with it?

When people talk about Rick Ross, they talk about his "ear for beats" and how much "good music he puts out". They rarely use the word "GREAT" to describe his music. And we're supposedly in his "era".

Because he is all about volume. And he's not wrong for that. It works for him. But sucks for us. Because the quality of the actual songs suffers.

Where guys like Nas, Jay, Kanye, Common, etc. are throwbacks who take their time to craft their music.

I Believe that now more than ever quality music is dropping.
dudes have to realize that nowadays the criteria is completely different for rappers. No longer are dudes given time to fall back for a year or two and drop an album of their best work.
Instead you have to drop two mixtapes full of good work, dozens of feature verses, numerous videos, Deal with leaks, All to keep a fanbase in tact just to keep your Buzz. Dudes in the 90's didnt have to flood the market to stay afloat and it wasn't because everything they dropped was classic it was because there were MUCH less options to choose from and music releases were at a much slower pace.
Imagine if Cole/Kendrick/Wiz etc could have kept his top 12-15 tracks W/o having to give them away for free just to have the general public keep paying attention. Instead of sharing the platform with other great musicians......... They have to share them with dudes who are releasing good material & also the slew of horrible artist that get shoved on the same websites, radio shows, mixtapes as them.
I feel the amount of good rap is as high as its been in the past 10 years, however the amount of publicity trash rappers get has increased ten fold also making it much harder for that music to stick and be appreciated the way it's suppose
I agree with this nowadays a rapper has a whole catalog of mixtapes before they can drop their debut album, and then when its time to drop the album the label rejects a lot of their stuff and they gotta delay and make more tracks in a rush while most of the songs that would've been on the debut end up given away for free. This happened to both J. Cole and KRIT

Guys are touching upon something I've been discussing with friends for a bit.

We are very much in a quantity over quality world right now. And a lot of that has to do with the internet.

Pre internet, you would take your time to craft an album. Didn't have to worry about leaks as much.

And the time in between albums built anticipation for your project. You didn't "overexpose" yourself.

The rules are the opposite now. You do better the more active you are. Being on every feature. Pumping out mixtapes and viral videos.

How great can your product be if you're not even really taking your time with it?

When people talk about Rick Ross, they talk about his "ear for beats" and how much "good music he puts out". They rarely use the word "GREAT" to describe his music. And we're supposedly in his "era".

Because he is all about volume. And he's not wrong for that. It works for him. But sucks for us. Because the quality of the actual songs suffers.

Where guys like Nas, Jay, Kanye, Common, etc. are throwbacks who take their time to craft their music.

A lot of people have called Deeper Than Rap and Teflon Don both great albums though. Plus the mixtapes he's put out.

Its a lot of good music out there people just have to look deeper. Its a lot BS out there to like somebody else said its easier for wack dudes to get on like Cheif Keef. Im not hating on the young dude he should get his money but come on dude is trash as a rapper. ASAP is cool but dude raps about nothing most of time and I like braggadocious rap but dude just aint that good. Big Sean is cool sometimes but him and ASAP are like the dude. I think Sean can do better if really tried though because dude has a lot of good verse's out there. Its funny though because all those dudes stole a lil something from Lil B and he's fading rightnow while their getting more famous.

A lot of people have called Deeper Than Rap and Teflon Don both great albums though. Plus the mixtapes he's put out.
Its a lot of good music out there people just have to look deeper. Its a lot BS out there to like somebody else said its easier for wack dudes to get on like Cheif Keef. Im not hating on the young dude he should get his money but come on dude is trash as a rapper. ASAP is cool but dude raps about nothing most of time and I like braggadocious rap but dude just aint that good. Big Sean is cool sometimes but him and ASAP are like the dude. I think Sean can do better if really tried though because dude has a lot of good verse's out there. Its funny though because all those dudes stole a lil something from Lil B and he's fading rightnow while their getting more famous.

If I hear this Stole From Lil B thing one more time. They say swag i'm pretty sure that wasn't the drawing point of these two getting signed:stoneface:

This ***** barely puts together coherent Sentences on songs although none of them are great lyricist it's disrespecful especially to Sean to say they stole from Lil B

I think Rap is at its best point in Several Years right Now. If your talking the overall landscape how can you say all things sound alike.
The new Cats
All Of TDE
Spitta
Cole
ASAP
Vado
DRAKE
G.o.D Jewels
Wiz
Dom
Krit
Meek
Danny Brown
Gambino
All have a different sound from one another
The old vets are still releasing great rap music from Ye, Jay, Nas, Rae, etc etc
If anything i think as a whole better music is releasing than maybe any era since the 90's, however it is over looked due to the rapid pace that music releases... Before you had to wait months to get new material from an artist which made you delve into the music much more an be able to appreciate the music more as a whole. Instead you now have an average of about two-three new songs a week from artist in order for them to survive.
Think of this slate of "big" rap acts ready to release this summer alone, I liken it too the way Jordans were released in the 90's less music gave you more of an appreciation for those who had great efforts. Nowadays an album can be praised for a week and then the next week another album comes out forcing you to change focus and bump another body of work
This generation doesnt have enough time to digest music
Negative, this era is trash. People have forgotten about legit lyric, and solid beats. Big Sean is trash, along with Spitta,ASAP, Wiz, ect.. These artist will be here now and gone tomorrow.

If I hear this Stole From Lil B thing one more time. They say swag i'm pretty sure that wasn't the drawing point of these two getting signed:stoneface:

This ***** barely puts together coherent Sentences on songs although none of them are great lyricist it's disrespecful especially to Sean to say they stole from Lil B

I like Big Sean but It aint disrespectful because its obvious. Lil B is trash but a lot of young rapper have been influenced by dude especially ASAP.

Once again lil B legit walks in the booth and says the first random **** that comes to his mind... calls himself a pretty *****, a princess, wears womens earrings, never really has a coherrent verse, and prides himself on being a walkin mascot

Other than the over use of the word swag ASAP Rocky has NOTHING in common with lil B... people have got to stop trying to make this guy into something important, iv'e witnessed people call this dude a musical genius, say he's influenced this whole generation, say he's made life altering songs....... yall MF's might as well make a molly & bathsalt cocktail and listen to wonton soup to your head explodes... LITERALLY

Once again lil B legit walks in the booth and says the first random **** that comes to his mind... calls himself a pretty *****, a princess, wears womens earrings, never really has a coherrent verse, and prides himself on being a walkin mascot
Other than the over use of the word swag ASAP Rocky has NOTHING in common with lil B... people have got to stop trying to make this guy into something important, iv'e witnessed people call this dude a musical genius, say he's influenced this whole generation, say he's made life altering songs....... yall MF's might as well make a molly & bathsalt cocktail and listen to wonton soup to your head explodes... LITERALLY

they're both trash

Lil B is not a great rapper but ya see the earrings, the nicknames and all that other stuff he does and don't realize that he has ya talking about him. What rapper would be able to do that in 96 and still have a career? He does those things to show that he can do it and still keep it moving. He makes better songs than those "incoherent verses" but no one would know who he is if he only made those songs. He recognizes the state the game is in and the power of the internet and used it to its potential.

Big Sean and Rocky will never make songs like this

I always find it hilarious when Lil' B makes 15,000 awful garbage songs, but fans of his highlight his 5-6 decent-good ones. He's still batting at .0000000000000000000000000007.

***EDIT: That is true Doo Wop. Confusing, but true

Last edited:
I always find it hilarious when Lil' B makes 15,000 awful garbage songs, but fans of his highlight his 5-6 decent-good ones. He's still batting at .0000000000000000000000000007.
It's funny tho cause he's "eating" off the dudes that hate his music more than his fans

Back
Top Bottom