Houston Rockets Thread '19 Preseason - The Tweet Seen Around The World

Most def curious to see what kind of money they have. Though I'm not all that bent out of shape about not wanting to give up a first rounder for Iggy and a tax rise, they still need a wing and I also feel they need another big that can play both C and PF. Not sure why Faried hasn't been brought back, but Christian Wood from the Pels that just got waived would be a good get as well. First of all, we had him at a certain point I guess in summer league or something then let him go. Second, he got waived not cause he's a bad player, but cause there's a log jam at his position and he became a casualty. He was excellent in relief last year and could do the same for us. As far as inexpensive, non-Iggy wings (which would rule out Covington as well, who I'd want here more than Iggy), I just don't know who's out there other than Corey Brewer :rofl: either him, or you roll with some young guys.

701195ED-4123-4264-8750-261E040D560C.jpeg
E080CE6F-ACFB-4C4F-A5AE-0B825EDB3E91.jpeg

Most def curious to see what kind of money they have. Though I'm not all that bent out of shape about not wanting to give up a first rounder for Iggy and a tax rise, they still need a wing and I also feel they need another big that can play both C and PF. Not sure why Faried hasn't been brought back, but Christian Wood from the Pels that just got waived would be a good get as well. First of all, we had him at a certain point I guess in summer league or something then let him go. Second, he got waived not cause he's a bad player, but cause there's a log jam at his position and he became a casualty. He was excellent in relief last year and could do the same for us. As far as inexpensive, non-Iggy wings (which would rule out Covington as well, who I'd want here more than Iggy), I just don't know who's out there other than Corey Brewer :rofl: either him, or you roll with some young guys.
I'm not tripping hard about Iggy but if they were going to do so, expanding that trade was their best option. You'd have to hope for an Iggy buyout at this point, which is unlikely. Expanding that trade was their best option to get most quality players or assets because it's an essential free ~9.5M they can take on in salary. So either no one bit on the assets we offered (for Iggy or any other player) or Fertitta simply doesn't want to pay the tax. I'm leaning towards the second because at the very least you could've taken back 2Pat's expiring contract from the Thunder. Thunder are already trying to get under the LT. Even if he's not playable, he can be used for salary matching later on. Seems like they boggled it. Zero reason to not get any type of asset back with the trade matching rules. Literally any 3rd team looking to shed salary could've been added to the deal.

We're approximately 1.2M under the LT line right now. I don't think it's a coincidence at all. At this point I'm not even sure if we're going to S&T Shump or even sign him at all. Owner is clearly penny pinching. And we really might only add minimum type players at this point. I hope Tilman proves me wrong cause his approach since buying the team has not been ideal at all. Guy talks a big game but hasn't backed it up.

I'd also like to take a flyer on Christian Wood as well.

Last edited:
Tilman is a fraud and an idiot that’s why. Guy wants to win but doesn’t want to do his extra part to put us in a position to win. League wide open and you still try to avoid LT. Hes actually making Moreys job harder too.

It’s too bad we got him as an owner now.

Kind of understand avoiding Iggy. He’s owed like $17m for this last year. With the luxury tax, we’d be paying like $35m for him for one year I think.

$35mil is nothing if u win a championship. iggy a 16 game player

yeah i still want him...just saying i understand why there's hesitation. i think he'd actually be a huge piece for us being able to guard the kd's, lebrons, and kawhis.

Well Wood is out of the equation. Pistons had a worse record than us and put a claim on him.

Kind of understand avoiding Iggy. He’s owed like $17m for this last year. With the luxury tax, we’d be paying like $35m for him for one year I think.
I think the figure is closer to 50 not 35. If im the owner I'm only spending 50 on a sure thing. I have no idea what kind of impact iggy will bring at his washed state

I think the figure is closer to 50 not 35. If im the owner I'm only spending 50 on a sure thing. I have no idea what kind of impact iggy will bring at his washed state

As much as a healthy Iggy would be good for us, I had no reason to think he wouldn’t suddenly become old and washed like Joe Johnson if he was traded here. I feel like his impact would be more of that kind, or second year Corey Brewer/Josh Smith then first year Brewer/Smith.

:rofl:
0F6666AD-E133-472E-AE91-395572E5D225.jpeg

Still hoping they can sign and trade Shumpert, but here’s the current FA list (minus maybe 2-3 guys who’ve been picked up)

50CD6F85-C997-4C32-A30F-D8B16446DFE4.jpeg
BF6E80C2-8526-4FB3-9EEA-60655332F39D.jpeg
2689CA89-B0FA-4E9A-97E7-A434A639D559.jpeg
0225925F-616D-44FE-B527-21FA89353A93.jpeg
10FE4886-1907-4D8A-9CF8-615036568D6E.jpeg
BD577FBC-8546-439E-9D1F-CEF1E15A1A2B.jpeg
D1801FA8-659E-4C0F-AE9A-007846B09868.jpeg

Holiday would be nice but word on the street is he's not accepting the minimum (wants a bigger bag) and idk if Tilman is gonna use more of the MLE because then he'll have to pay the LT.

Leaves us with: JR, Korver, Simmons, Thabo, VC, Shump, Troy Williams (lol) as vet. min wing options.
Maybe Jerebko as a stretch 4. I could see them showing interest in Johnathan Williams too, similar deal to Bennett (NG, training camp invite). He was ok on our summer league team.

Slim pickings :sick:

I dont blame him for not wanting iggy tbh

yeah i still want him...just saying i understand why there's hesitation. i think he'd actually be a huge piece for us being able to guard the kd's, lebrons, and kawhis.

It's not even about getting Iggy. It's the fact that they didn't bring back any type of contract with a free 9.5M. OKC is trying to shed money to get under the LT. There are also third teams who are trying to do the same. The point of expanding the trade isn't only to get back rotation players, but if you fail to do so, you bring back salary (possible expirings) that you can then package to try and upgrade the team later at the deadline.

It works as an insurance policy as well if one of our key guys goes down because you can trade the expiring(s) without giving up a rotation player. Without that additional salary there aren't many ways you can upgrade the roster without giving up a rotation piece. Not absorbing salary is a clear indication Fertitta wants to avoid the tax (again). And if he doesn't sign Shump (a possible trade asset you can use to match salaries) then it becomes extremely obvious that he's prioritizing it over making the best team possible.

I get why he would want to not pay 50M or whatever for Iggy. But again, it has less to do with Iggy than it does with having the ability to upgrade the roster later without giving up rotation pieces. They should've absorbed salary regardless of who it was. And they didn't, cause Tilman is all talk about not being "cheap" and saying he'll "spend" this off-season.

To add on, them signing Shump now to use an asset later instead of possibly dangling him in the OKC trade means you have to wait 60 days to trade him, and whatever player you're getting back (if any) doesn't get the same start with the rest of the team. And if they don't sign him, they wasted a first round pick for nothing (from the Ryno -> Knight -> Shump trade). This is all very anti-Morey like. Signing or not signing Shump will be the biggest indicator of the precedent Tilman sets forward in regards to spending in his tenure thus far, IMO.

I get all the business moves from Tilman's standpoint but if dude never opened his mouth then perhaps there wouldn't be so many expectations.

Sorry for the long post(s) about Tilman. As you can tell, I dislike the guy. A big competitive advantage is having a good owner in sports. He stinks. :lol: The funny thing about all of this is I have even more negative things to say about him in regards to how he screwed us over last year (which is affecting us right now) but I'll save it for another time.

Last edited:
It's not even about getting Iggy. It's the fact that they didn't bring back any type of contract with a free 9.5M. OKC is trying to shed money to get under the LT. There are also third teams who are trying to do the same. The point of expanding the trade isn't only to get back rotation players, but if you fail to do so, you bring back salary (possible expirings) that you can then package to try and upgrade the team later at the deadline.

It works as an insurance policy as well if one of our key guys goes down because you can trade the expiring(s) without giving up a rotation player. Without that additional salary there aren't many ways you can upgrade the roster without giving up a rotation piece. Not absorbing salary is a clear indication Fertitta wants to avoid the tax (again). And if he doesn't sign Shump (a possible trade asset you can use to match salaries) then it becomes extremely obvious that he's prioritizing it over making the best team possible.

I get why he would want to not pay 50M or whatever for Iggy. But again, it has less to do with Iggy than it does with having the ability to upgrade the roster later without giving up rotation pieces. They should've absorbed salary regardless of who it was. And they didn't, cause Tilman is all talk about not being "cheap" and saying he'll "spend" this off-season.

To add on, them signing Shump now to use an asset later instead of possibly dangling him in the OKC trade means you have to wait 60 days to trade him, and whatever player you're getting back (if any) doesn't get the same start with the rest of the team. And if they don't sign him, they wasted a first round pick for nothing (from the Ryno -> Knight -> Shump trade). This is all very anti-Morey like. Signing or not signing Shump will be the biggest indicator of the precedent Tilman sets forward in regards to spending in his tenure thus far, IMO.

I get all the business moves from Tilman's standpoint but if dude never opened his mouth then perhaps there wouldn't be so many expectations.

Sorry for the long post(s) about Tilman. As you can tell, I dislike the guy. A big competitive advantage is having a good owner in sports. He stinks. :lol: The funny thing about all of this is I have even more negative things to say about him in regards to how he screwed us over last year (which is affecting us right now) but I'll save it for another time.

This is great. Please do tell about also and how he screwed us I’m here for this :lol: :pimp:. I agree he sucks as an owner.

That Chinese billionaire should’ve became the owner instead. In just 1 season Tilman is showing that he should stick to the food industry instead of sports. I know he leaves the heads on shrimp but charges headless shrimp prices. And he won’t shut his damn mouth and just fall back like most other owners.

Last edited:
That Chinese billionaire should’ve became the owner instead. In just 1 season Tilman is showing that he should stick to the good industry instead of sports. I know he leaves the heads on shrimp but charged headless shrimp prices. And he won’t shut his damn mouth and just fall back like most other owners.

I agree on everything and I do wish it was that Chinese billionaire. Tilman wont shut up like bruh this isn't even your lane. Tilman just came up on buying it from Les at the time it happened.

Back
Top Bottom