Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

The Texans placed two players on waivers today – fullback Jason Ford and cornerback Desmond Marrow.

Ford and Marrow were rookie free agents.

The Texans report for training camp on Friday and begin two-a-day practices on Saturday.

Veteran receivers Bryant Johnson and Roy Williams will try out with the Texans today.

Johnson, 31, played last season with the Texans, catching six passes for 90 yards and a touchdown. Because he’s familiar with the offensive coaches and the system, he may have a better chance than Williams.

Coach Gary Kubiak wants to sign a veteran receiver. Behind starters Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter, the Texans have three receivers – Lestar Jean, DeVier Posey and Keshawn Martin – who don’t have a catch in the NFL.

Williams, 30, is a native Texan who grew up in Odessa and played at the University of Texas before Detroit drafted him in the first round. He also played with Dallas and Chicago.

Johnson, entering his 10th season, was a first-round pick by Arizona. He also played with San Francisco and Detroit before signing with the Texans last season.

Getting Williams and his hands of stone away from our young WRs, I rather have BJ

Texans sign veteran wide receiver Bryant Johnson, linebacker Fox

As expected, the Texans have signed veteran receiver Bryant Johnson.

Johnson, 31, worked out on Thursday with Roy Williams, another veteran receiver.

The Texans elected to bring back Johnson because he’s familiar with the system after catching six passes for 90 yards and a touchdown last season.

Coach Gary Kubiak wanted to sign a veteran receiver to compete with Lestar Jean, DeVier Posey and Keshawn Martin, none of whom has a catch in the NFL. Johnson will help provide depth behind starters Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter.

Johnson, a former first-round pick, has played nine seasons with Arizona, San Francisco, Detroit and Houston.

The Texans also signed veteran linebacker Keyaron Fox, 30, who played last season at Washington.

Fox (6-2, 235), also played with Kansas City and Pittsburgh. He earned a Super Bowl ring with Pittsburgh, where he was the special teams captain.

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson says he'll miss "a week or so" after a minor groin injury in the team's second morning practice.

Johnson fell awkwardly running a route on Sunday morning and had an MRI exam later in the day that showed a "mild strain."

"It just tightened up on me," the five-time Pro Bowl receiver said. "I had hit the ground pretty hard, stretching out for a ball. That was pretty much it."

Johnson missed nine regular-season games last season with hamstring injuries and was sidelined from the first organized team activities in the spring after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

"Nothing that I'm not used to, doing rehab," Johnson said. "It's very frustrating, but it happens, man. I wish I had some control over it. Unfortunately, I don't."

Coach Gary Kubiak said Johnson wanted to continue practicing, but Kubiak took the cautious route. Johnson watched the rest of the outdoor half of the workout with a towel wrapped around his head then went to Reliant Stadium when the practice moved indoors.

"I felt pretty good, because he wanted to go back out there," Kubiak said Sunday afternoon. "When a guy is telling you that, I don't think it's too bad."

Johnson sat out three to four weeks after his knee surgery in May, and he turned 31 in July. After playing in all 16 games in 2008 and '09, Johnson sat out three games late in 2010 with a sprained right ankle. Last year, he hurt his right hamstring against Pittsburgh in October then hurt his left hamstring against Atlanta in December.

On Sunday afternoon, Johnson wasn't even walking with a limp. He said he'll know "in a few days" when he'll be able to return to practice.

"Everybody's just saying, 'Just be smart about it,' " Johnson said. "You don't want to rush in, come back out here and have something happen again. We'll be smart about it, and see what happens."

:stoneface: :rolleyes

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after Wednesday’s afternoon practice that left tackle Duane Brown suffered a minor bruise in his lower leg and will only miss a couple of practices.

Brown sustained the injury in the morning session.

It looked like an ankle injury. He was taken to Reliant Stadium for X-rays, which showed no damage.

Right tackle Rashad Butler took Brown’s place on the left side. Derek Newton, who has been backing up Butler, worked with the starters.

Texans secondary on verge
 of being primary force

Texans defensive backs coach Vance Joseph runs a drill with players. (Brett Coomer/Houston Chronicle)
In its first season under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and position coach Vance Joseph, the Texans’ secondary made extraordinary improvement.

The Texans improved from 32nd to third in the NFL against the pass and from 30th to second overall in defense.

“Last year, we were average in zones,” Joseph said this week. “Once we perfect our zone coverages, it’s going to be really hard to beat us.”

Last season, the Texans beat three of the top five quarterbacks they faced based on passer rating. They defeated Matt Ryan (Atlanta), Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh) and Matt Hasselbeck (Tennessee). They lost to Drew Brees (New Orleans) and Cam Newton (Carolina).

“We’ve got to be better,” Joseph said.

Indeed, this season the Texans face quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay), Tom Brady (New England), Matt Stafford (Detroit), Jay Cutler (Chicago) and Joe Flacco (Baltimore).

“It’s going to be a great challenge,” Joseph said. “I think we’re ready for it. To win a championship, you’ve got to play them all anyway, so why not play them all? I’m excited about it.”

As they approach the end of their first week of training camp, the Texans have stability in their secondary. Last year, they made three changes, signing free-agent cornerback Johnathan Joseph and free safety Danieal Manning. They moved cornerback Glover Quin to strong safety. Only cornerback Kareem Jackson remained in the same position.

Cornerback Brice McCain went from his worst season in 2010 to his best playing in the slot.

“We have a great
group of guys,” said Johnathan Joseph, the team’s shutdown corner. “They come to work every day and work hard, whether it’s good or bad. You can only (tip) your hats to those guys, because each day we come in here and try to improve at something.”

Familiarity a big plus

Joseph usually covers the opponent’s toughest receiver. That’s why he’ll be all over Detroit’s Calvin Johnson, New England’s Wes Welker, Green Bay’s Greg Jennings and Chicago’s Brandon Marshall.

“It’s a challenge each week covering guys like that, but my mentality doesn’t change,” Joseph said. “I want to win every play, whether I’m going against a rookie quarterback or a 5,000-yard passer.

“It’s a passing league now. You don’t see backs carrying 30 times a game anymore. You see the quarterback throwing 50 to 55 times a game. We have a complete team, and that includes offense and special teams. We don’t go out every week saying the defense is going to win the game.”

Familiarity with the system, including knowing each other after a year together, makes the defensive backs more comfortable playing together.

“It gives us a new confidence level,” Johnathan Joseph said. “Everybody knows what they’re doing. That comfort level allows you to fly around and make plays even faster.

“Everyone has a responsibility, but ultimately, you want to play faster. By playing faster, it allows you to make more big plays. As you’ve seen in this camp so far, guys have gotten ahead on a lot more balls already.”

Kudos to Manning

Having a shutdown corner like Joseph gives the coaches more confidence when making calls.
“Obviously, he’s our main guy,” Vance Joseph said. “He’s doing a better job this year of learning the system. Last year, he didn’t have the benefit of the OTAs (because of the lockout), so it was a fast-track install. Now he’s doing a great job of leading and playing even better.”
Vance Joseph is even more fired up about Manning.

“Manning’s last four games last year going into the spring and his first four camp practices — this guy is on fire,” he said. “His attitude, energy and intensity are off the charts.

“He’s obviously our leader on the field because he goes so fast and so hard. Attitude-wise, he’s the same every day. He’s so coachable. I’m expecting him to have a great year.”

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt left practice Thursday morning with a dislocated elbow.

Following the afternoon practice, head coach Gary Kubiak said “we dodged another bullet.”

The elbow was immediately put back into place. X-rays taken later were negative.

Kubiak wouldn’t put a timetable on Watt’s return but said “knowing J.J., he’ll be back” as quickly as possible. Kubiak said Watt has already begun rehabbing.

Veteran Tim Jamison inherits Watts’ starting job for now, and Kubiak said the Texans will attempt to sign a free agent to add to the roster.

“I just saw him fall,” fellow defensive end Antonio Smith said following the morning practice. “I looked over and he made a noise. I went to go check on him and his elbow looked like something was wrong with it. We’re always in panic mode, but the trainers got him inside and (Kubiak) said he’s going to be alright, so I’m rolling with that. That’s all I know.”

Watt is the fourth front-line player to get hurt in the first six days of training camp. Receiver Andre Johnson has a pulled groin muscle, left tackle Duane Brown a lower leg bruise and cornerback Kareem Jackson a strained hamstring. Kubiak said he expected all of them to be ready well before the regular season opener Sept. 9 against Miami at Reliant Stadium.

“That’s the hardest part of this business,” Kubiak said. “You got to work to get better. You got to work to play good. You hold your breath every day. We’ve had our share of guys go down around here. Hopefully we’ll dodge some bullets this year and keep some people healthy. We were lucky with Duane yesterday. Let’s stay on a roll. Let’s be lucky with this one too.”

Liked what I saw from the Texans sans a couple of errors/miscues.

- It'll be tough for Holliday to make the final roster, but if he can be consistent with returns like that, he'll definitely be a good part of the team. Reed was all over the field, Kareem looked good (confused to even say that), Mercilus, Braman...well, really the entire defense were being consistent and making plays.

- Schaub and Foster can turn it over like that during the season, but I don't expect them to do that all the time anyway. Alan Ball...:stoneface: That dude sucks, and he must think he still plays for the Cowboys. Hopefully the other DBs like Harris, Sherrick, and Carmichael can come on fast so this dude never sees the field.

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_05.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_03.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_19.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_21.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_20.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_14.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_11.jpg

20120811_texanspanthers_btc_02.jpg

Texans’ D-line banged up after an injury to nose tackle Shaun Cody

The Texans have three nose tackles who will have to replace Shaun Cody while he recuperates from a back injury suffered in Saturday’s 26-13 preseason victory at Carolina.

Earl Mitchell, a three-year veteran, moves into the starting lineup. Ra’Shon Harris, a two-year veteran, and undrafted rookie Hebron Fangupo move up a spot and will get more repetitions in practice and more playing time in preseason.

“He’s got a disk issue,” coach Gary Kubiak said Sunday about Cody. “We’re still in an evaluation process. He received an epidural (for pain relief) today, and we’re going to see how he reacts to that.

“I think it’s going to be a couple days before we know exactly what we’re looking at, but obviously, he’s going to miss some time this week.”

In Wade Phillips’ 3-4 defense, the nose tackle is usually a one-gap lineman whose job is to get up the field and be disruptive. Phillips’ nose tackles are usually lighter than the traditional two-gapper who grabs and reads and tries to tie up two blockers.

“Earl played well,” Kubiak said about the Houston native’s performance against the Panthers. “Sunny (Harris) has been out, and we’re hoping to get him back (Monday). Lonnie (Fangupo), our young guy from BYU, made some plays.

“We like those guys, but at the same time, we’re kind of beat up on the defensive line in general. We’ve got two more weeks of so-called training camp to battle through. It (Cody’s injury) could be an issue. It’s something we’ll have to work through.”

Watt also ailing
Two-thirds of the starting defensive line will be out for a while. Defensive end J.J. Watt is recovering from a dislocated elbow. Defensive end Antonio Smith is the only starter who’s healthy. The key is to have all hands on deck when the Texans begin the regular season against Miami at Reliant Stadium.

Despite missing Watt and Cody, the defense put on a tremendous performance at Carolina, which used three quarterbacks — Cam Newton, Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen.

The Texans limited the Panthers to 137 yards, sacked their quarterbacks eight times and forced two turnovers.

“You give up (less than) 160 yards in any game, (and) you’re playing darn well,” Kubiak said. “The way we got to the quarterback was impressive.

“The one touchdown drive we gave up, we had three penalties. I told them after the game that we play so much man coverage, we’ve got to be disciplined in our approach.”

Even though Cody will miss some time, the Texans are getting back inside linebacker Brian Cushing, who didn’t make the trip to Carolina after spending two nights in the hospital with an infection that caused him to miss four practices.

Plus, receiver Andre Johnson, who was limited to 20 plays in practice last week, is expected to play Saturday against San Francisco at Reliant Stadium.

“Cush should be on the field (Monday). He’s doing great,” Kubiak said. “If everything goes according to schedule, (Johnson) should play this week. He could have played, but he was behind everybody else in practice time.”

Red-zone struggles
Perhaps Johnson can help an offense that was 1-of-5 in red-zone efficiency.

“I would attribute it to bad execution,” Kubiak said. “The field gets smaller down there, and you’ve got to make little plays. That’s something we’ve been working on in practice.

“The key to us in the red zone is running the ball well.”

The Texans should run the ball better if Arian Foster gets more than one carry for 11 yards and a fumble. Kubiak said he wants Foster to get more carries against the 49ers.

After watching the Texans beat the Panthers, San Francisco will have to game plan for Trindon Holliday, who handled return duties, including a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

“The big one was nice, but the other ones (returns) were positive, too,” Kubiak said. “It was a big step in the right direction for him. The biggest thing we’re going to do is give him a chance to be our all-time returner.”

Texans’ Brown gets six-year deal worth $53.4 million

duane.brown_1-306x234.jpg

The Texans have reached a contract agreement with left tackle Duane Brown.

Brown’s six-year extension, which begins in 2013 and runs through 2018, is worth $53.4 million. He gets $22.08 million guaranteed and his average salary per year is $8.9 million. Brown, coming off his best season, had one year left on his original five-year contract and will make $2.08 million this year.

Agent Andy Ross reached the deal with general manager Rick Smith and vice president of administration Chris Olsen, the Texans’ primary contract negotiator.

By getting the Brown deal done, the Texans can turn their attention to outside linebacker Connor Barwin. Brown, Barwin and quarterback Matt Schaub were considered the three most important players going into the last year of their contracts.

The Texans aren’t going to open negotiations with Schaub until after the season. They have a policy against negotiating during the season.

Kareem actually making tackles :lol: :pimp: Usually when Kubiak says "_____ has been having a very camp", it means they're not. But it's looking like he has legitimately improved....but Alan Ball is picking up where he left off last year :stoneface: .

O-line working to get kinks out of Texans running game

As the offensive line works to develop chemistry, run blocking is something the players would like to improve.

“It’s definitely something we have to work at,” left tackle Duane Brown said. “We hang our hat on our running game and try to establish the run each week. This past week was not effective. We did make plays in the passing game, but with the kind of offense we have, you have to get the running game going. I think just individually we have to continue to improve on our technique, continue to gel as a unit. We’ve got a couple new guys in there, but besides that, just having the whole offseason (and) training camp; preseason is a time for all the veterans to gel and I think we’ll be fine.”

Saturday against the San Francisco 49ers, the Texans finished with 119 yards rushing, but about 80 percent of those rushing yards came after San Francisco removed its first-team defense.

That included a 24-yard romp by running back Arian Foster.

“With that type of system, we don’t really go up against it every day in practice so it takes a while, maybe a quarter or so, to get the right fits and to get things going,” right tackle Rashad Butler said. “Early on, we struggled to run the ball, but after a while when guys started looking at pictures on the sideline and started communicating with the running back and the tight ends and so forth on the sideline, we were able to get things straightened out and go back out there and put forth a better effort.”

The preseason is a time offensive lines tend to work on their communication issues. Brown noted that is the case even when a starting five returns intact because offseason leads to rust on the offense.

He said the preseason is generally enough time to become a cohesive unit again.

Because of that, it’s not uncommon for run-focused teams to have trouble running the ball in the preseason without adverse effects during the regular season.

The development of the offensive line is especially noticeable for the Texans who have new faces at right guard, where Mike Brisiel used to play, and right tackle, where Eric Winston used to play. Brisiel is now in Oakland and Winston is in Kansas City.

At right tackle, Butler started the first preseason game and Derek Newton the second, with coach Gary Kubiak saying the position is up for grabs. Antoine Caldwell has started at right guard.

“We’ve made some strides and the more you play, the more it happens,” Brown said of the group’s chemistry. “The first game we didn’t play that much, the second game we played the first half and this game we’ll have a significant amount of time, and I think that’ll help us a lot.”

20120818_texans49ers_btc_58.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_85.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_btc_57.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_92.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_70.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_59.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_51.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_btc_50.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_36.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_btc_56.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_39.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_19.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_49.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_btc_17.jpg

20120818_texans49ers_kaw_17.jpg

i cant ******g wait for this season :pimp: trying to go at least 2 games :pimp:

The Texans will play the New Orleans Saints without inside linebacker Brian Cushing.

Cushing didn’t make the trip to New Orleans because of bruised ribs. He suffered the injury in the victory over San Francisco and was unable to practice last week.

Because the starters won’t play in the last preseason game Thursday against Minnesota, Cushing won’t be back on the field until the regular-season opener against Miami.

Barring setbacks in practice, Cushing and defensive end J.J. Watt will start against the Dolphins. Watt has been sidelined with a broken elbow. He could have played last week if the game had been in the regular season.

Nose tackle Shaun Cody, who has a strained lower back, might miss the Miami opener. Cody assured the media after his injury he would play against the Dolphins, but back injuries are so difficult to predict that no one knows his status for the Dolphins’ game.

Earl Mitchell has replaced Cody. Mitchell will play three quarters against the Saints. Rookie Hebron Fangupo moves up a spot and will play in the fourth quarter.

Pregame: Team without three defensive starters

The most important goal for every team in the preseason is not winning, it’s avoiding new injuries and keeping old ones from getting worse.

So the Texans will be without three defensive starters this week — at least one of whom could have played if it were a game week.

Inside linebacker Brian Cushing, who didn’t practice all week with bruised ribs, nose tackle Shaun Cody, who has been out with a lower back strain he suffered in the Texans’ preseason opener, and J.J. Watt, he of the dislocated elbow who would have played if this were a regular-season game.

Also not dressing for the Texans are rookie receiver DeVier Posey, who has a calf injury, inside linebacker Greg Williams, receiver Jerrell Jackson and Sunny Harris, who will go on injured reserve with a season-ending triceps injury.

Pregame: Excitement is in the air

A lot of Texans fans have made the trip from Houston for tonight’s game in New Orleans. They packed the planes, and, I’m told, Harrah’s and Bourbon Street. At least that’s what I was told.

Even though this game is an exhibition, fans are excited for two reasons. First, they know the starters are going to play three quarters, so it’s a dress rehearsal for the regular season. Second, it’s the Saints and Texans. They’re developing a good rivalry that comes from playing every preseason and from those years in which they practiced against each other and seemed to spend as much time fighting as actually playing.

I think half of New Orleans still resides in the Houston area. There were lots of Saints fans in the Houston area before Katrina. Now, it’s like Saints West.

Saints fans don’t care if it’s preseason or regular season. They’ll go to the Superdome to support their team. That’s very impressive. Unlike a lot of stadiums in preseason, you won’t see a lot of empty seats on television tonight.

There are three things I want to see on offense — a fast start, establishing a consistent running game with Arian Foster and Ben Tate, and scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

There are three things I want to see on defense — stopping the run, then playing as well as they’re capable against Drew Brees and not allowing the Saints to score touchdowns when they reach the red zone.

There are three things I want to see on special teams — Trindon Holliday repeating in front of his home-state fans what he’s done the last two weeks, rookie kicker Randy Bullock getting some field-goal opportunities (outside the red zone) and punter Donnie Jones improving his gross and net.

Texans seem ready for season, but are they ready to match expectations?

NEW ORLEANS — Not even eight minutes had passed in the first quarter Saturday night when the New Orleans Saints’ legendary public address announcer, Jerry Romig, proclaimed to a stunned Superdome crowd that the Texans’ lead was 21-0.

“I’m so sorry,’’ he said a moment later, correcting the score to 14-0.

It just seemed like it was 21-0.

The Texans couldn’t have played much better than they did early in their third preseason game, which is supposed to be a harbinger for when NFL teams start playing for real in two weeks.

Their offense drove 80 yards in eight plays to score for the third consecutive game on their first possession and then scored again on a 40-yard drive in five plays after safety Glover Quin recovered the fumble that he caused with a jarring tackle.

Schaub shines

There was a lot of hype surrounding the return of Roger Clemens to the mound Saturday night in Sugar Land, but no one alive was throwing a ball better than Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.

He completed 11 of 12 passes in the first quarter for 135 yards, including 10 on a touchdown pass to Keshawn Martin, who was one of eight receivers Schaub connected with on the first three possessions. He had a passing efficiency rating of 141.3, which is in the neighborhood of perfection.

Although coach Gary Kubiak had said that he would play Schaub three quarters in potentially his last appearance of the preseason, he relieved him at halftime. Kubiak had no doubt seen enough to know that Schaub is ready the Miami Dolphins on Sept. 9 at Reliant Stadium.

The bigger question, though, is whether the Texans are ready for a season of unprecedented expectations for the franchise.

They appeared at some times as if they were. Playing in front of a crowd of 72,082 that already has its decibel level at mid-season form, against a team that has its own Super Bowl aspirations, the Texans at the very least held their own in a first half that ended 24-24.

They appeared at some times as if they weren’t ready.

The Texans couldn’t hold their two-touchdown lead for four minutes. Trindon Holliday, after returns for touchdowns in each of the first two preseason games, fumbled one that the Saints returned for a touchdown.

He redeemed himself with a 62-yard kickoff return. But then he fumbled again, dribbling the ball out of bounds. Wide receiver Keshawn Martin, competing to become the No. 3 wide receiver, lost two fumbles. Rookie Randy Bullock didn’t have enough leg to power his kickoffs into the end zone.

Brees drives

There is no shame in a defense failing to contain a Pro Bowl quarterback such as the Saints’ Drew Brees.

But the league’s No. 2 ranked defense of a season ago appeared helpless on the Saints’ two-minute drill gains of 10 yards of more on a 77-yard, seven-play touchdown drive.

Like Schaub, Brees retired at halftime, rendering much of the second half meaningless except for players facing two roster cuts this week. The Saints won, 34-27.

So what do we know about the Texans after three pre-season games?

Not much more than we knew after two pre-season games.

They could be a 12-4 team or an 8-8 team.

There is little margin for error, not only for them for but all contenders. If the Texans are going to be 12-4 or even 10-6, they’re going to have to make big plays. But they’re also going to have to make the plays that lead to big plays.

One of those sequences occurred early in the second quarter Saturday night. After Holliday’s long kickoff return set up the Texans at the Saints’ 37-yard line, Schaub had one of his only misfires on first down, putting the ball into the hands of cornerback Patrick Robinson.

Instead of an interception, Texans’ wide receiver Andre Johnson knocked the ball away from Robinson. One play. The Texans’ stalled and had to punt. Special teamer Sherrick McManis contorted himself to down the ball at the one-yard line. Two plays.

Big plays vital

On second down from the Saints’ 12, Brees passed to wide receiver Joseph Morgan. Texans safety Danieal Manning stripped the ball and returned it to the two yard line. Three plays. Running back Arian Foster took it from there, scoring from the six. Touchdown.

Those are the kind of plays that are going to determine whether the Texans are back at the Superdome in February.

Promising young Texans hear stern words from Kubiak after fumbles

The Texans’ fumbling problems began within the final four minutes of the first quarter of Saturday’s 34-27 loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Twice in that span, young, promising Texans receivers who are fighting to solidify their roles on a playoff-caliber team, turned the ball over. First, returner Trindon Holliday fumbled on a kickoff return as Isa Abdul-Quddus hit him. Saints defensive end Junior Galette picked the ball up from the ground, returning it for a touchdown. Then, just four seconds before the second quarter started, rookie receiver Keshawn Martin lost the ball as cornerback Corey White hit him.

Coach Gary Kubiak on Holliday: “If he’s going to be our guy, he can’t turn the ball over.”

Kubiak on Martin: “There’s no excuse for those fumbles. We don’t accept that. He’s going to play a lot. We like him and we’re going to trust him. So he can’t turn it over.”

Both players fumbled twice, though Holliday avoided a turnover on his second mistake, retaining possession as he stumbled out of bounds on a muffed punt return.

“You just tell them to make sure they just keep the ball tight, make sure they’re not running with the ball loosely,” Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson said. “You just try to remind them of it. Let those things get out of the way now. Let them not happen in the regular season.”

The Saints had their own ball-security problems, fumbling twice and setting up Texans touchdowns both times. Texans safeties Danieal Manning and Glover Quin forced the two fumbles.

The Texans’ fumbles came at inopportune times for Martin and Holliday.

Early in training camp, Martin was the favorite to become the third receiver. He scored the Texans’ only receiving touchdown in the first half with a 10-yard reception.

In the past couple of weeks, though, second-year receiver Lestar Jean closed that gap.

“I just got to learn from it, get better and protect the ball better,” Martin said. “The first one I can’t have the ball swinging out, so I put that one on myself. The second one I feel like it was just a good hit. He put his helmet right on the ball and it popped out.”

Meanwhile, Holliday is working to force his way onto the roster by being a dynamic special-teams player. He was just that in the first two preseason games, scoring touchdowns on returns in both games.

Holliday showed some of that explosiveness again Saturday, breaking off a 62-yard kickoff return shortly after his first fumble.

“If it happens I just try to come back and make an even bigger play than that,” Holliday said.

-I know we've been missing three defensive starters but our run defense has given me concerns.
-That right side of the offensive line looks like it will be a problem all season long. Our run game just hasn't looked that effective.
-I've liked what I've seen from some of the young WR's but they need to protect that ball

I'm not too concerned about the run defense right now just for that fact that you mentioned. Once Cushing and Watt get back, along with a healthier Shaun Cody, everybody else will shuffle into their normal roles.

I do want to see the right side of that line get it together. I thought Butler would get the start, but Newton has officially been named the week 1 starter.

Texans make first round of roster cuts

The Texans reduced their roster today to 75. It must be reduced to A final 53 on Friday, the day after they play the last preseason game against Minnesota.

Kicker Randy Bullock, the fifth-round pick, was placed on injured reserve. Offensive tackle Nick Mondek, the sixth-round pick, was placed on waivers.

Others placed on waivers were center Thomas Austin, linebacker Omar Gaither, punter Brett Hartmann, receiver Bryant Johnson, receiver Mario Lewis, running back Davin Meggett, defensive end Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, fullback Derrell Smith, guard Kasey Studdard and cornerback Torri Williams.

Linebacker Darryl Sharpton was placed on physically unable to perform list. Nose tackle Sunny Harris and linebacker Greg William were waived injured.

Texans’ preseason finale big for 53-man hopefuls

Rosters have to be reduced to 53 on Friday, and Texans coach Gary Kubiak would rather watch The Longhorn Network than waive players he knows could come back to haunt him.

Because the Texans have more talent than at any previous time in their 11-year history, Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith are going to release players who’ll be scooped up by opponents.

Kubiak saw last season how important backups are because of the problems injuries can create. That’s why Thursday night’s game against Minnesota is so important for a lot of players still competing for jobs, especially quarterback John Beck, who starts against the Vikings.

Kubiak has said on more than one occasion that he learned a lesson last season about keeping only two quarterbacks. He planned to enter this season with three veterans.

Because of difficult decisions at other positions, Kubiak might keep only two quarterbacks.

“There’s always a chance, because you don’t know what’s going on with other positions, other problems,” Kubiak said. “It’ll probably have a lot to do with the rest of the makeup of the team.”

Rookie or vet?

Beck is starting, and rookie Case Keenum, the people’s choice, will come off the bench. Keenum still appears destined for the practice squad.

“I’m talking about a veteran that’s had some experience, some starting time. So do we go that direction, or do we go with the young man that looks like he’s got a bright future?” Kubiak said.

Kubiak doesn’t want the personnel decisions to be easy. He wants his players to play well and stay healthy.

The truth is, though, that an injury or two to a backup could make a decision as obvious as when rookie kicker Randy Bullock was put on injured reserve and veteran Shayne Graham got the job.

“This is the last opportunity to play for guys like me and Case to play and know the role we’re in, so you want to play,” Beck said. “I’ve been in a lot of preseason games. Playing is what’s fun. You get to turn the lights on, put the game jersey on and play.

“You can’t think about what’s at stake. I want to do the very best I can with every opportunity I get so I can make this team.”

Potential is there

Beck likes what he sees of Keenum.

“Case is very bright, very football savvy,” Beck said. “He has really good timing, a really good feel for the game. He soaks things in. He loves what he does.

“Even when he’s not playing, he’s very into the game. He’s very focused on what can he learn, what can he pick up from each situation.”

Keenum, who set NCAA passing records at the University of Houston, isn’t thinking about the practice squad. He’s thinking about playing well against Minnesota and making the team.

“I’m excited about getting into a game and getting into a rhythm,” said Keenum, whose role has changed since he left UH. “It’s different from what I’m used to, but as far as it being difficult, I think if this job were easy, then a lot of people would be doing it.

“I take pride in being able to do things that aren’t easy. I want to compete against the best. I want it to be hard. I want to be tough on myself. I want to be good.”

Cuts so far:

QB Case Keenum
LB Shawn Loiseau
WR Jerrell Jackson
C Cody Wallace
FB Moran Norris
WR Juaqin Iglesias

CB Sherrick McMannis traded for FB Tyler Clutts (Bears)

Last edited:
So Matt , Yates and Beck are our QBs? I'm assume our back up / number 2 is Yates considering what he showed last year and Matt is in a contract year :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom