How can English Speakers/Readers live in Seoul? VOL: I don't want to be teacher.

runningfishy

Banned
I think I've posted this before, but what would one do in transitioning to Korea? I'm sure there are American companies there right? I'm in banking/finance, so I would like to stick in that field. I don't think I'll be of any value, nor able to land something since I don't know or speak Korean.

Is there a site out there that helps w/ this? I've googled, but most were just possible study abroad programs.

I know that I could possibly get my foot through some study exchange through the university, but that'll cost me a lot of money. And, I don't want to be a fake student and sit in lectures. -.-

Modjobmonkey?!

teach English

I have poor English, and don't think I would qualify. But more so, I have no interest in that.

I'm planning on visiting S.Korea in the winter to get a feel. If people can't converse w/ me in English, then that might turn me off, and this plan will be a fall out. I'm too old to spend 5-10 years trying to learn Korean.

People learn to have basic conversation in about 6 months to a year. If you try hard enough you'll be able to do it.

I think I've posted this before, but what would one do in transitioning to Korea? I'm sure there are American companies there right? I'm in banking/finance, so I would like to stick in that field. I don't think I'll be of any value, nor able to land something since I don't know or speak Korean.
Is there a site out there that helps w/ this? I've googled, but most were just possible study abroad programs.
I know that I could possibly get my foot through some study exchange through the university, but that'll cost me a lot of money. And, I don't want to be a fake student and sit in lectures. -.-
Modjobmonkey?!
 You "have poor English", have no desire to learn Korean, and you don't think you'll be of any value in the field that you're currently in?

How about you stay home?

People learn to have basic conversation in about 6 months to a year. If you try hard enough you'll be able to do it.

I've read about that, but ultimately I am a US citizen and have to pay US taxes. I just wanted an experience, say working at one of the banks there for 2-5 years type of thing.
I'm not going to denounce my citizenship and what not, so I'll have to look into that.

Still, it's the job availability that'll be the deciding factor. If not, I'll just go there for vacay.

i've heard it's pretty tough to get a job there unless you're of korean descent. korea is incredibly homogeneous and i can't imagine getting around there unless you speak korean or become an english teacher.

Korean Americans don't accept other races, even other Asians in the U.S. I'd imagine it's a lot harder to be accepted in Korea.

Just listen to Gayo music and look up the lyrics from there. You could also just Rosetta Stone it, then when you're there you'll have a basic feel of Korean, and it won't be as awkward as just going there without any knowledge.

i've heard it's pretty tough to get a job there unless you're of korean descent. korea is incredibly homogeneous and i can't imagine getting around there unless you speak korean or become an english teacher.

this.

teaching english is your best bet. i think its going to be very very difficult to get a banking/finance related gig if you are not korean, do not speak korean, and do not have great credentials (good work experience + degree from a top 50 US university).

even when it comes to teaching english, they tend to look for certain things

color of your skin (whites apply, blacks dont bother, other asians... tbh i dont know)
the name of the school on your diploma (UPenn yes, Penn State no, UMich yes, Mich state no, UCLA yes, CSULA no, you get the idea).

even though Seoul is a bustling metropolis and a technologically advanced city, its quite surprising how non-english friendly it is compared to a lot of other major cities in the world. Thats not to say that no one speaks english, but it is MUCH easier to get around with English only in some major European cities than it would be in Seoul. I have never traveled to other Asian cities/countries outside of Korea, so I cant say how the comparison is. If you venture out of Seoul, it may be even more difficult to get around. I personally can understand Korean pretty well, even though I cant really speak it that well. With my 80% listening and 20% speaking proficiency, I have no problem getting around. I'm sure that if you spent 3-6 months in the city and maybe took a language class (or Rosetta stone) im sure your proficiency of the language would be better than mine.

In the event you do make it out there and you do find a job, I dont know if you necesarily have to pay taxes on income earned until you bring it back into the states? Not 100% sure about it. If you want to know I can ask my brother about it. He's been over there for about 7+ years now and is a US citizen. I dont think that fool is ever comin back though.

this.
teaching english is your best bet. i think its going to be very very difficult to get a banking/finance related gig if you are not korean, do not speak korean, and do not have great credentials (good work experience + degree from a top 50 US university).
color of your skin (whites apply, blacks dont bother, other asians... tbh i dont know)
the name of the school on your diploma (UPenn yes, Penn State no, UMich yes, Mich state no, UCLA yes, CSULA no, you get the idea).
even though Seoul is a bustling metropolis and a technologically advanced city, its quite surprising how non-english friendly it is compared to a lot of other major cities in the world. Thats not to say that no one speaks english, but it is MUCH easier to get around with English only in some major European cities than it would be in Seoul. I have never traveled to other Asian cities/countries outside of Korea, so I cant say how the comparison is. If you venture out of Seoul, it may be even more difficult to get around. I personally can understand Korean pretty well, even though I cant really speak it that well. With my 80% listening and 20% speaking proficiency, I have no problem getting around. I'm sure that if you spent 3-6 months in the city and maybe took a language class (or Rosetta stone) im sure your proficiency of the language would be better than mine.
In the event you do make it out there and you do find a job, I dont know if you necesarily have to pay taxes on income earned until you bring it back into the states? Not 100% sure about it. If you want to know I can ask my brother about it. He's been over there for about 7+ years now and is a US citizen. I dont think that fool is ever comin back though.

I don't even think you need to be great at English to qualify as an English teacher. They're mostly looking for people that can enunciate and teach beginner English for simple conversations since you would be teaching kids that don't know a lick of the language.

I know that schools can take care of room and board for English teachers and they make decent pay so teaching would probably be your preferred approach.

this.

I think learning the conversation part is okay, but to read and write, man that's another thing in itself. You told me about your brother before and the bear hug stories. LOLZ I suppose he can converse in the lingo right?

I understand everything you mean about competition, especially in the asian metro-cities. It's difficult to just jump in w/o leads.

:smh: Im mad cause a lot of Asians really think like this...its a subtle form of self hatred...a lot of them really look at the white man as Jesus :wow: sad

i know this from personal experience

Last edited:
Korean Americans don't accept other races, even other Asians in the U.S. I'd imagine it's a lot harder to be accepted in Korea.

What does that even mean?

As a korean american, id have to agree with freakydestroyer. Its typically the older generation and/or more recent immigrant generation (1.5 generation) who are more insulated and tend to only associate with other koreans. Its more apparent in major cities with large korean populations. If you go to Ktown in LA or NY, you will encounter a lot of people like this. they just prefer the company of their own kind. I honestly cant put my finger on WHY this is the case. Even looking at myself and my friends, maybe 50% of my closest friends are Korean. Its not like I grew up in an area with a large Korean population or went to a school with a large Korean population, but I guess subconsciously I just kinda gravitated towards other Koreans when I was younger. Whats funny/ironic is that me and my korean friends have always sorta shunned the korean social scene because of the exclusionary aura that kind of hovers over it.

As a korean american, id have to agree with freakydestroyer. Its typically the older generation and/or more recent immigrant generation (1.5 generation) who are more insulated and tend to only associate with other koreans. Its more apparent in major cities with large korean populations. If you go to Ktown in LA or NY, you will encounter a lot of people like this. they just prefer the company of their own kind. I honestly cant put my finger on WHY this is the case. Even looking at myself and my friends, maybe 50% of my closest friends are Korean. Its not like I grew up in an area with a large Korean population or went to a school with a large Korean population, but I guess subconsciously I just kinda gravitated towards other Koreans when I was younger. Whats funny/ironic is that me and my korean friends have always sorta shunned the korean social scene because of the exclusionary aura that kind of hovers over it.

I have seen Korean women with White and Black men, but hardly ever with a Non-Korean Asian Man. I only know of one with a rich Vietnamese guy.

I have seen Korean women with White and Black men, but hardly ever with a Non-Korean Asian Man. I only know of one with a rich Vietnamese guy.

hahahahaha bet hes a doctor.

but seriously, its because there is probably a lot of pressure from the parents on their daughter to NOT get with a non-korean. I have 2 friends (korean women) that married chinese guys. One of them, I know for a fact that it took quite some time (years) for the family to finally come around to their daughter being with a non korean guy. While there is still pressure from parents to their sons, i dont think its quite as much as it would be with daughters. My parents didnt care that my wife is Chinese. They were more concerned about her character, than her nationality.

It's really fascinating to learn the racial dynamics of other cultures. I just wonder where does it originate from? Mojo, I know you mentioned about the process of applying to teach English in Korea and saying blacks don't bother. Do they get shut down? I get the homogenous culture deal, but are black people seen as a threat? There has to be someone with sense to know you can't generalize and entire race of people. I also too wondered about the interracial dynamic of asian women and non asian men. Usually, if it's a non asian man, the family prefers her to be with a white man as opposed to a black man.

Back
Top Bottom