How can I connect my Laptop to my HDTV using an HDMI Cable?

For the love of God, can anyone please help me. It's seems fairly easy but for some odd reason my T.V screen stays blank. I have an HP pavilion laptop running on Windows 7 and I have a 32inch LG HDTV. I bought some HDMI Cables from  monoprice (same ones I bought to hook up my PS3 to my t.v) but I can't get my computer's image to show up on my T.V.

The laptop recognizes the T.V but I don't know what to click or what to do after I hooked up both the T.V and the laptop. I read online that you must press FN-F5 to "extend the displays" but nothing happens.

Thank you very much for all the help.

For the love of God, can anyone please help me. It's seems fairly easy but for some odd reason my T.V screen stays blank. I have an HP pavilion laptop running on Windows 7 and I have a 32inch LG HDTV. I bought some HDMI Cables from  monoprice (same ones I bought to hook up my PS3 to my t.v) but I can't get my computer's image to show up on my T.V.

The laptop recognizes the T.V but I don't know what to click or what to do after I hooked up both the T.V and the laptop. I read online that you must press FN-F5 to "extend the displays" but nothing happens.

Thank you very much for all the help.

change the input on the tv to HDMI
if that doesnt work change display settings in your control panel, if the sound doesnt work after the video does change "playback device" by right clicking the volume icon on the lower right

change the input on the tv to HDMI
if that doesnt work change display settings in your control panel, if the sound doesnt work after the video does change "playback device" by right clicking the volume icon on the lower right

Man, it's only one button you gotta press. It's a button with box with two lines on the each side. It's in between the sleep and lock button. Press it and it will give you the display options of PC, Duplicate, Extend, Projector.  Then change the input on your TV and you're good to go

I have a Pavillion dm3 BTW

Man, it's only one button you gotta press. It's a button with box with two lines on the each side. It's in between the sleep and lock button. Press it and it will give you the display options of PC, Duplicate, Extend, Projector.  Then change the input on your TV and you're good to go

I have a Pavillion dm3 BTW

Thanks everyone for those who replied but I can't get it to work!

Yes, I have changed the input to HDMI on my T.V. I have also press the button SoleFunk suggested and it does nothing.

So far this is what I am doing,

I connect the HDMI cable to both computer and LG TV. I turn on my laptop, turn on tv, press button to change to "expand, project, duplicate", and then I change the input settings to HDMI on my T.V. The tv says "connecting..." then it goes blank and it reads "No Signal". My laptop monitor stays the same and nothing changes.

Someone suggested to change my display settings, I may try doing that right now.

Thanks everyone for those who replied but I can't get it to work!

Yes, I have changed the input to HDMI on my T.V. I have also press the button SoleFunk suggested and it does nothing.

So far this is what I am doing,

I connect the HDMI cable to both computer and LG TV. I turn on my laptop, turn on tv, press button to change to "expand, project, duplicate", and then I change the input settings to HDMI on my T.V. The tv says "connecting..." then it goes blank and it reads "No Signal". My laptop monitor stays the same and nothing changes.

Someone suggested to change my display settings, I may try doing that right now.

From your troubleshooting it sounds like you're onto the resolution which may very well be your problem. Depending on what your laptop/comp is set at it may not be supported by your TV. Like if you're workin with 1080 or 1200 on your laptop but your tv probably won't display anything over 1080. Try scaling it back to something in the 720/768/1080 area and you may have some luck.

From your troubleshooting it sounds like you're onto the resolution which may very well be your problem. Depending on what your laptop/comp is set at it may not be supported by your TV. Like if you're workin with 1080 or 1200 on your laptop but your tv probably won't display anything over 1080. Try scaling it back to something in the 720/768/1080 area and you may have some luck.

Back
Top Bottom