How can the NBA Solve the debacle that is All-Star selection??

In my opinion there is no way the Gerald Wallace and Allen Iverson should be on the  East All Stars and not Josh Smith and David Lee, I don't even agree with Garnett starting that much. With that said I have a slight solution, criticize as you see fit;

Fans vote the Starters.
Coaches vote reserves. Coaches also pick one "veto" player from the starters and one "replacement" player for each conference. If more than 50% of the coaches pick the same "veto" player then he is dropped from the roster and the replacement player with the most votes is added to the roster.

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

In my opinion there is no way the Gerald Wallace and Allen Iverson should be on the  East All Stars and not Josh Smith and David Lee, I don't even agree with Garnett starting that much. With that said I have a slight solution, criticize as you see fit;

Fans vote the Starters.
Coaches vote reserves. Coaches also pick one "veto" player from the starters and one "replacement" player for each conference. If more than 50% of the coaches pick the same "veto" player then he is dropped from the roster and the replacement player with the most votes is added to the roster.
The All Star game is for all the fans to see there favorite players play together. It doesnt mean anything. Its a fun event its not that serious. Dude are playing for fun.

Fans vote the Starters.
Its funny that you say Gerald Wallace shouldn't be on there...yet you say David Lee should. At one point, Crash was the top 5 in rebounding while putting up 20 plus. He is a BIG reason why the Bobcats are in the playoff hunt (and I don't even agree with using a teams winning record as a reason). G Wall deserves every right to be there

1/3 fan's voting, 1/3 coach 's voting and 1/3 player's voting.

And Gerald Wallace deserves to be an all star.

Southzeztpdot said it all.

NBA wouldn't see $$$ if they changed the all star voting system, its about the fans that night.

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

Fans vote the Starters.
The All Star game is for all the fans to see there favorite players play together. It doesnt mean anything. Its a fun event its not that serious. Dude are playing for fun.
I agree 100%  But the players also view it as an honor and to be snubbed is a terrible feeling. At the end of the day when we sum up someones career we include how many times they were all-stars.

The NBA needs to fix both the selection process for the allstar game, and the criteria for league MVP

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

Fans vote the Starters.

Not totally true - the game itself may not mean anything, but the distinction of being named an All Star certainly does, even when it comes to things like assessing a HOF canidate's credentials.

With that said, either remove fan voting completely or do like the NFL and have fans, coaches, and players each account for 1/3 of the weight.  There's no way that guys like Iverson and Garnett should be All Stars this year, much less starters.  Heck, look at last year: Yi shouldn't have sniffed  an All Star spot, and damn-near got voted in as a starter. 

And as far as G-Wall, I think he's deserving this year.  On the other hand, either Lee or Josh Smith should have made it over Horford.

Clockin Dollars wrote:

Fans vote the Starters.
Its funny that you say Gerald Wallace shouldn't be on there...yet you say David Lee should. At one point, Crash was the top 5 in rebounding while putting up 20 plus. He is a BIG reason why the Bobcats are in the playoff hunt (and I don't even agree with using a teams winning record as a reason). G Wall deserves every right to be there

Thats your opinion and I respect it. David Lee averages a point more a game then Wallace, same number of rebounds. The Knicks are 5 games behind the bobcats in the east. Its splitting hairs. But I think we can all agree that Iverson has no business on the team.

--I dont see anything wrong with the process.
--The only thing I owuld change is how they list certain players at certain positions when they truly dont even play that position.

Clockin Dollars wrote:

Fans vote the Starters.

Thats your opinion and I respect it. David Lee averages a point more a game then Wallace, same number of rebounds. The Knicks are 5 games behind the bobcats in the east. Its splitting hairs. But I think we can all agree that Iverson has no business on the team.

Yes, we can agree that Iverson doesn't belong there. And for the record, I also agree that David Lee belongs there. Horford shouldn't be there, Garnett shouldn't be there, and im on the fence about Pierce but I wouldn't know who I would put in his place

Originally Posted by Clockin Dollars

Clockin Dollars wrote:

Fans vote the Starters.

Yes, we can agree that Iverson doesn't belong there. And for the record, I also agree that David Lee belongs there. Horford shouldn't be there, Garnett shouldn't be there, and im on the fence about Pierce but I wouldn't know who I would put in his place

Yea, they really messed up the east this year.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--I dont see anything wrong with the process.
--The only thing I would change is how they list certain players at certain positions when they truly dont even play that position.
This. And put a minimum games played rule for the participants

Ya'll need to calm down, It's not even that serious.
smh.gif

I agree, not that serious who cares. But I also agree we still use "all star selections" when comparing players.

Simple solution is to throw those out but as we know the media won't. I do think the stat geek generation is getting better though for all sports and know the real accolades.

Stern should create a new category. Leave all-star voting to fans because that's what they have, and what they want; a fan vote for their favorites.

The new category should come at the end of the season, much like how there is already 1st and 2nd Team All-NBA their should be All-Conference where the votes are reserved strictly for players, coaches, and media.

The best players are still there. If you look at the snubs, is the all-star game really gonna be that much better with them? No. So it's fine.

The NBA didn't get to be this popular by limiting fan participation. Unlike NFL and MLB, the NBA needs it's fans more than they need the NBA.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

In my opinion there is no way the Gerald Wallace and Allen Iverson should be on the  East All Stars

65alps.gif

Don't chop up half a statement. I said they shouldn't be on and Lee and Josh Smith not. Slow your roll.

Put Emmitt Smith in charge of the All-Star selection comittee and everything will be fixed. Guaranteed.

ERASCISM wrote:
The best players are still there. If you look at the snubs, is the all-star game really gonna be that much better with them? No. So it's fine.

The NBA didn't get to be this popular by limiting fan participation. Unlike NFL and MLB, the NBA needs it's fans more than they need the NBA.

That's ridiculous with out fans the NFL and every pro sporting league would cease to exist. Its about putting the best product on the court/field every night.

Originally Posted by Andrew630

That's why there are All-NBA 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams.

This game is just for fun.

Thank you and this is why dudes like AI or Garnett is being chosen as a starter even if they might not deserve it than others. People want to see them over David Lee or Gerald Wallace. 
Although, I haven't seen a mass group of people try to pimp the system by write in some random player to be a starter (like DJ Mbenga?! 
roll.gif
) ,  if that comes out successful who knows, the L might change the system...

We always talk about how unfair all-star voting is but I don't think it ever will because it conflicts everyone's interest. They have messed this one up pretty bad this year with East but more or less, this happens almost every year, it seems like. Like remember how people were going nuts when LeBron didn't get to play in all-star game in his first year? Or Yao getting more votes than Shaq and such? It happens every year, IMO. Even if L changes to 15 man roster, we'll still have this problem. I think someone's going to get raw deal every year in all-star selection and hopefully, they can get their respect at the season's end with with All-NBA team selections. 

I have more problem with MLB's all-star selecting process than NBA's. I like the 'idea' of having at least one player from every team representing in the all star game but if you are like the Pirates or some other trashy team in the league, who do you pick? And winner takes the WS home field advantage? 
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom