How close was Mario Lemieux to Gretzky if he never had health issues?

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

I wonder how Malkin and Ovechkin will match up to these 2 when its all said and done..

What sucks for them is those two dudes play in a totally different NHL.

Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin between them (they are still young obviously) have played a combined 11 NHL seasons thus far. They have one 60 goal season and one 120 point season between all three of them.

Gretz by the age of 24..........already had 71, 73, 87 and 92 goal seasons
laugh.gif
and 164, 196, 205, 208, and 212 point seasons
roll.gif
And compared to Mario's numbers how does that match up? Its freakin ridiculous how Gretz had such success early in his career. Dude justdominated the ice.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

NHL Career Points Leaders:
1. 2857 - Wayne Gretzky (1,487 Games)
2. 1887 - Mark Messier (1,756 Games)
Look at that $$!%$!$ gap...
sick.gif

Goodness...
smh.gif

My boy got me into hockey and I followed closely from like '01-'04 (Rangers and NHL games
pimp.gif
) but I fell back to watching highlights after thelockout...
tired.gif

I don't know much about hockey keep hearing that Gretzky is the closest to an undisputed GOAT in his sport, of any player in any sport. So I'll go withhim.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

lets get real here..pavel bure is the g.o.a.t.

lol for real though, if gretzky cut his career short the points difference would reflect a bigger gap. his last few years in the league weren't that great and he was slowed by arthritis.

what's scary with lemieux is that he was solid til the day he hung up his skates.

mario lemieux hockey on the sega genesis was crazy too..but nhl 95 may be the nicest hockey game ever.

I will have to go w/ Super Mario. Dude was a problem. I can't comment on the game itself ... like i mean time periods and how open the game was and so onand so forth when ... gretz may have him in the numbers department ... but mario in his prime battling cancer and coming cold out of retirement and stillputting in those numbers ...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Originally Posted by N3FF 3000

I wonder how Malkin and Ovechkin will match up to these 2 when its all said and done..
Unfortunately they play in an era now that has 10x better goaltending and teams have much better defensive systems...By time they are gone, they will be very high in the record books but not anywhere near Wayne and Mario.

Yeh but that should help their case, no? I mean Wayne's numbers will never even be sniffed by anyone but, like you said the goaltending is better (mostlydue to the fact that they wear ridiculously huge pads as compared to back then) AND the defense is much better now.

Yea but Imagine mario or Wayne playing without the two line pass rule or the new enforcement of interference and no trapping. thats prolly 15 more goals 35more assists each yr and

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yea but Imagine mario or Wayne playing without the two line pass rule or the new enforcement of interference and no trapping. thats prolly 15 more goals 35 more assists each yr and

Idk, I can't see them raping in todays NHL. I mean, yeh obviously they'll both get 100+ points easy but I highly doubt Wayne would be dropping a 200 ptseason in todays NHL. Even in his prime.

I do
I'd also say the yrs Wayne and Mario played, was the golden era of Hockey. Im just not sure if the stars of today would be stars in that era.

Wayne and Mario and them would still dominate.....but no chance putting up those numbers. It's simple math IMO. Teams dump and chasing, playing moredefensive concepts, and goalies that went from this:

To this:

1614167.jpg
laugh.gif

Last year's NHL leader in goals scrored was Montreal with 262 on the year. In 1985-86 the NHL team with the FEWEST goals scored was Detroit with266.

Back
Top Bottom