How come when teams lose in the NBA Playoffs, fans automatically want the head coach fired?

Denver fans want Karl gone.
Raptor fans want Mitchell gone.
Now, Dallas fans are talking about firing Avery Johnson.

I'm sure more will follow.

Why?

They feel the talent they have on the team should be able to lead them past the 1st round and they are correct.
You're not going to see Hawks and 6ers fan commenting that THEIR coaches should be fired

to be fair, there's been talk from fans about each of those coaches beings fired before the playoffs started.

Avery's been thought of being fired since he lost in the Finals. There's been whispers for a LONG time now. It's not like this is a new thing. Itwas fairly common consensus if we didn't do anything this post-season, Avery would be gone. And he is.

Now, Dallas fans are talking about firing Avery Johnson.
Why wouldn't Dallas fans want Avery Johnson fired?

If you can give even 2 logical reasons as to why he should keep his job, you might have a valid argument with this thread...

Same with George Karl... Neither one deserves to keep their jobs.

It's not because of losses just this year.

For example, when George Karl coached in Seattle, aside from the WCF and the Finals in '93 and '96, respectively, he had embarrassing early exits inthe playoffs (and Denver in 1994 was just the beginning of it) with good teams. His failure to be an effective coach when it mattered got him fired. And nowhe's even worse in Denver, where he doesn't have the amazing assistant coaches like he had in Seattle.

I don't think it's just the NBA fans that do that......all sports fans say the team needs to fire the coach if they don't meet"expectations".

When you watch the Mavericks for 3+ seasons under Avery Johnson, you KNOW he is not a good basketball mind at all.

fans dont realize that in 7 game series, the better team usually wins..........and teams have more time to expose weaknesses..........denver for one plays nodefense and has too many one on one players............toronto wasnt as good as last year, and the same with dallas............

Originally Posted by rtype3995

fans dont realize that in 7 game series, the better team usually wins..........and teams have more time to expose weaknesses..........denver for one plays no defense and has too many one on one players............toronto wasnt as good as last year, and the same with dallas............

But when you consistently lose in the first round, no matter who you are, then the seat should get hot.

But when you consistently lose in the first round, no matter who you are, then the seat should get hot.
Bingo.

I know there are fans that get a little crazy and overreact, but my problem with this thread is, it seems like you're insinuating that these guysshouldn't be fired...

After 3 straight playoff collapses, why shouldn't fans be calling for Avery Johnson's head?

With all the underachieving that's gone in Denver, the lack of defensive intensity, the team quiting in the series against the Lakers, why shouldn'tfans been calling for George Karl's head?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by rtype3995

fans dont realize that in 7 game series, the better team usually wins..........and teams have more time to expose weaknesses..........denver for one plays no defense and has too many one on one players............toronto wasnt as good as last year, and the same with dallas............

See: Eddie Jordan
Some want him gone, sure. But, he's not getting nearly as much heat as a lot of other coaches.

Also, I forgot to mention, what about the Warriors? They had a very successful season, but because they missed the playoffs during the last 5 games of theseason, some people were talking about firing Don Nelson. What the hell is that all about? I think it's just purely ******ed. He doesn't get nearlyenough credit as he should for that team's success. But then again, what do I know...
eyes.gif

Probably because Dallas has been kind of embarassed, not as much this year, but the two years before that. First getting skunked in the finals after winningthe first few games, then losing to the 8th seeded Warriors after having the most wins in the league in the reg season. I dont think it is really Johnson'sfault though, he inherited that team and all of the expectations that came with them.

depends on expectations...u know for sure woodson isn't getting fired. and when the warriors lost in the playoffs last year no one wanted nellie fired. ifa coach doesn't live up to expectations, period, there's gonna be talk about them getting fired. karl, d'antoni, avery did not put their teams ingood situations especially with the talent on those rosters.

Avery had the final word on Devin Harris staying or leaving, Avery never REALLY liked Devin, and many of you don't know that because you aren'tMavericks fans and you don't follow the team. A lot of what's happened to the Mavericks has had to do with Avery being a rookie coach. His resume isnice, but he can't get it done in the post-season.

Gettin It Crackin wrote:

Also, I forgot to mention, what about the Warriors? They had a very successful season, but because they missed the playoffs during the last 5 games of the season, some people were talking about firing Don Nelson. What the hell is that all about? I think it's just purely ******ed. He doesn't get nearly enough credit as he should for that team's success. But then again, what do I know...
eyes.gif

What kind of success are you talking about?
That team plays no D at all. I always thought winning the chip was what basketball was about, am I wrong?
You can't win a chip without SOME kind of D.

Also, his stubborness is very
smh.gif
I mean Brenden Wright should have had MUCH more PT, Belinelli should have got SOME PT, what about POB lol
His subs were very
eyes.gif

Baron Davis and the entire Warrior team was flat out TIRED towards the end of the season.

Everyone and their mamas know you can't win a title with the way Denver, GSW, etc, plays.

Anyway, Expectations is they key word.
People want results

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

They feel the talent they have on the team should be able to lead them past the 1st round and they are correct.
You're not going to see Hawks and 6ers fan commenting that THEIR coaches should be fired

homeboy we've been calling for the Head Coach, General Manager, and the Owners {Atlanta Spirit Group) heads to be off'd for 3 years now.

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

homeboy we've been calling for the Head Coach, General Manager, and the Owners {Atlanta Spirit Group) heads to be off'd for 3 years now.

You really think Woodson should be fired? Wow

Give me a reason why he shouldn't..

matter of fact, don't. It's obvious you haven't watched any Hawks games in the regular season. His whole gameplan is atrocious, from hissubstitutions to his playcalling to his motivational speeches.

I was screaming for Karl to get fired by All-Star break......it had nothing to do with the playoffs...even if the Nuggets would've beaten the lakers Istill would've wanted him fired....

Back
Top Bottom