how do people survive off of minimum wage?

i was in the same boat, i had to apply for a credit card just to pay the rest of the balance that wasnt covered by my financial aid. The due date for fees were due today and i really had no other choice.
I'm gonna go get a card today my job cut my hours by a 2 /3 and I'm down to my last few bucks either I sell a crap load of shoes and get eaten up by eBay fees or go to the blood bank and sperm bank today,

me too man, my job hasnt put me on schedule for 2 and a half weeks now(i was planing on quiting though so i havent been upset about that) and im looking into selling my shoes to get some extra cash.

i was in the same boat, i had to apply for a credit card just to pay the rest of the balance that wasnt covered by my financial aid. The due date for fees were due today and i really had no other choice.
I'm gonna go get a card today my job cut my hours by a 2 /3 and I'm down to my last few bucks either I sell a crap load of shoes and get eaten up by eBay fees or go to the blood bank and sperm bank today,

me too man, my job hasnt put me on schedule for 2 and a half weeks now(i was planing on quiting though so i havent been upset about that) and im looking into selling my shoes to get some extra cash.

you don't have a job bro. :lol: they just don't want to fire you.

Here is a quick analysis on what a single person’s take home pay will be living in New York making $7.25 an hour working full time  (40 hour work week) in 2013.

x  7.25

$ 290.00  (Before Taxes)

-         17.32  Federal

-         17.98  Social Security

-           4.21  Medicare

-           6.10  New York

-           0.60  NY SDI

-           4.11  City Tax

$ 239.68  (After Taxes)

Necessities: Food & Transportation

$239.68  (Take home pay)

- 29.00 (7-day Metro card) 

- 50.00  (Lunch Mon - Fri )

-100.00  (Groceries = Breakfast & Dinner Mon – Sun in addition to lunch on Sat - Sun)                                                                                                                                                                         

$60.00  (What’s Left)

Pocket Money: $60.00 a week

x   5 (weeks in a month)

x 12 (months in a year)

$ 3600

It is obvious you will never be able to rent an apartment much less pay the utilities and you will be condemned to your parent’s home which, half of that $60.00 will be given to them…

If you are single you are going to need to make at least $63,000 a year, which will offer Take Home Pay of $730.00 (60 hours) a week or $550.00 after the Necessities (Food & Transportation) are deducted. As a single person, you will live comfortable in NYC on such a pay scale.

Here is a quick analysis on what a single person’s take home pay will be living in New York making $7.25 an hour working full time (40 hour work week) in 2013.

x 7.25

$ 290.00 (Before Taxes)
- 17.32 Federal
- 17.98 Social Security
- 4.21 Medicare
- 6.10 New York
- 0.60 NY SDI
- 4.11 City Tax
$ 239.68 (After Taxes)

Necessities: Food & Transportation

$239.68 (Take home pay)
- 29.00 (7-day Metro card)
- 50.00 (Lunch Mon - Fri )
-100.00 (Groceries = Breakfast & Dinner Mon – Sun in addition to lunch on Sat - Sun)
$60.00 (What’s Left)

Pocket Money: $60.00 a week

x 5 (weeks in a month)
x 12 (months in a year)
$ 3600

It is obvious you will never be able to rent an apartment much less pay the utilities and you will be condemned to your parent’s home which, half of that $60.00 will be given to them…

If you are single you are going to need to make at least $63,000 a year, which will offer Take Home Pay of $730.00 (60 hours) a week or $550.00 after the Necessities (Food & Transportation) are deducted. As a single person, you will live comfortable in NYC on such a pay scale.

you don't have a job bro. :lol: they just don't want to fire you.

:lol: ive been thinking this and if so i aint even mad.

They are just living from paycheck to paycheck. Sucks when you have no other options.

you don't. you live a subpar life until you find better or u get multiple jobs.

The rich get rich and the poor get poor. They got their money so they aint worried about those who don't. They just make promises to em so they can elect em and keep gettin money.

Only true way to make a living is to have a serious side hustle. Paying money to go to college is pretty much pointless when experience outweighs education.

Does your school offer payment plans? My school accepts a four month payment plan at 25% of the full tuition. Works for me. Check with your school they may have many options, some even allow you to choice your own payment plan, plus it's zero interest.

very easy to survive off $8 a hour. Thats $300 a week

rent $500 utilitles $200 food $130 a month gas $100 a month

Total $930 a month

Wages $1200 a month Still got $270 free money to spend

in an ideal situation it could work. What about car insurance and health insurance? That right there would put your expenses over income. its not easy at all

Last edited:
Working minimum waige you better have something as a side gig. Unless your still a teen, then live off your mom n dad for as long as possible cause once you decide to be grown, you better have a grown *** job. Im debating on going back to school myself cause my side hustle has become my focal point instead of my footlocker gig. But i fn hate school

laugh.gif
 @ making min wage after working for the same company for 6 years.
feel bad for laughing but still 
laugh.gif

i was talking to this dude that works in sears and he said he makes 7.25 an hour :smh: has a kid and his baby moms does not work. the sad thing about it he said hes been with the company over 6 years and dude is making that kind of bread :x

Honestly? the massive tax returns.

Back
Top Bottom