How do you cite a bible?

Do I just put 33 AD "Book of Matthew" Bible or what
indifferent.gif

lol this is the latest double post ever.....I tried to post that earlier and my comp froze so i aborted and did it again a few times. 10 minutes later isposts. smh

smh.gif
a thread full of lames.

you would cite the bible just as you would tell someone a scripture.

if you wanted to cite john 3:16, you would put just that- "John 3:16"
then in your works cited page, you would do it just as you would a regular book. you would put what version of the bible you are citing, the book in the bibleyou are citing.

look it up online though, i had to do a research paper this past semester and my english teacher showed us how they just now recently changed the MLA format ofcitations.

its amusing to me, how when someone bring up the bible, ALL of the non Christians have something to say. but when you bring up ANY other religion, they sitback.
but whatever, im not even going to get into the whole "Christians vs NT" argument. its a waste of energy on here.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

smh.gif
a thread full of lames.

you would cite the bible just as you would tell someone a scripture.

if you wanted to cite john 3:16, you would put just that- "John 3:16"
then in your works cited page, you would do it just as you would a regular book. you would put what version of the bible you are citing, the book in the bible you are citing.

look it up online though, i had to do a research paper this past semester and my english teacher showed us how they just now recently changed the MLA format of citations.

its amusing to me, how when someone bring up the bible, ALL of the non Christians have something to say. but when you bring up ANY other religion, they sit back.
but whatever, im not even going to get into the whole "Christians vs NT" argument. its a waste of energy on here.
you sit there and you thump your bible and you say your prayers and that didn't get you anywhere. talk about your psalms talk about john 3:16.Austin 3:16 says i just whipped your $%%.

you sit there and you thump your bible and you say your prayers and that didn't get you anywhere. talk about your psalms talk about john 3:16. Austin 3:16 says i just whipped your $%%.
laugh.gif
classic.

How to Cite the Bible:

APA Style
MLA Style
Turabian Style
Chicago Style

http://How to Cite the Bible: APA[sup]1[/sup]

Parenthetical References

• Identify in the first citation in the text the version you used.

Example: (2 Cor. 5:17 New International Version)

• You do not need to identify the version in subsequent references unless you switch to a different version.
References

According to the APA Publication Manual, reference entries are not needed for the Bible and other major classicalworks. However, your professor may require full publication information; if you are not sure, ask him/her.

[sup]1[/sup]Information taken from Publication Manual ofthe American Psychological Association, 5[sup]th[/sup] ed., 2001, section 3.100.

http://How to Cite the Bible: MLA[sup]1[/sup]

General Guidelines: Books and versions of the Bible are not underlined, italicized, or put inquotation marks. But the titles of individual published editions of the Bible are underlined or italicized.

Example: The King James Version of the Bible was originally published in1611.

Example: The NIV Study Bible includes an introduction to each bookof the Bible.

[sup][/sup]Parenthetical References

• In parenthetical references, the titles of the books of the Bible are often abbreviated. Click here to see the list of common abbreviations for books of the Bible found in the MLA Handbook.
Example: (2 Cor. 5.17)

• A period separates chapter and verse.

• The first time you refer to a particular version of the Bible, include the name of the version, followed by a comma.

Example: (New International Version, Gen. 3.15)

• You do not need to identify the version in subsequent references unless you switch to a different version.
Works Cited

In your Works Cited, include the title of the Bible, the version, and the publication information.

Example: The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version.
Philadelphia: Westminster, 1952.

Example: The Modern Reader's Bible. Richard G. Moulton,
editor. New York: Macmillan, 1918.

[sup]1[/sup]Information taken from MLA Handbook for Writers of ResearchPapers, 6[sup]th[/sup] ed., 2003, sections 6.4.8 and 7.7.1.

http://How to Cite the Bible: Turabian[sup]1
[/sup]

General Guidelines: When you refer to whole chapters/whole books of the Bible or the Apocrypha in the text of your paper, spell out the namesof the books; do not italicize or underline them.

Example: 2 Samuel 12 records the prophet Nathan's confrontation of King David.

Example: The identity of the author of the book of Hebrews is not certain.

Cite the Bible in footnotes, endnotes, or parenthetical notes. You do notneed to include the Bible in your bibliography.

When you are citing a particular passage of Scripture, include the abbreviated name of thebook, the chapter number, and the verse number-never a page number. Chapter and verse are separated by a colon.

Example: 1 Cor. 13:4, 15:12-19.

Example: Gn 1:1-2, 2:1-3; Jn 1:1-14

Note that Turabian includes two lists of abbreviations for books of the Bible: a traditionalabbreviation list and a shorter abbreviation list. Click here to see the lists ofabbreviations. You may use either list, but be consistent throughout your paper. Or if you like, you may check with your professor to see which form s/heprefers.

Include the name of the version you are citing. You may either spell out the name of theversion, at least in the first reference, or you may use abbreviations without preceding or internal punctuation. After the first citation you need toindicate the version only if you quote from another version.

[table][tr][td]Examples of parenthetical reference: [/td] [td] Examples of footnote or endnote:[/td] [/tr][tr][td](Gen. 12:1-3 Revised Standard Version)[/td] [td]1.Ps. 139:13-16 NAB[/td] [/tr][tr][td](Jn 3:16-17 RSV)[/td] [td]2. Eph 6:10-17[/td] [/tr][/table]

[sup]1.[/sup]Information taken from A Manual for Writers ofResearch Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7[sup]th[/sup] ed., 2007, sections 17.5.2 and 24.6.1-4.

Note: A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, edited by KateL. Turabian, is an abbreviated version of The Chicago Manual of Style.

How to Cite the Bible: Chicago[sup]1[/sup]

General Guidelines: Names of the books of the Bible are not italicized. Names and versions of the Hebrew and Christian bibles arecapitalized but not italicized. Do not abbreviate books of the Bible in the text of your paper.

Example 2 Samuel 12 records the prophet Nathan's confrontation of King David.

Example The identity of the author of the book of Hebrews is not certain.

Cite the Bible in footnotes, endnotes, or parenthetical notes.
You donot need to include the Bible in your bibliography.

When you are citing a particular passage of Scripture, include theabbreviated name of the book, the chapter number, and the verse number-never a page number. Chapter and verse are separated by a colon.

Example: 1 Cor. 13:4, 15:12-19.

Example Gn 1:1-2, 2:1-3; Jn 1:1-14

Chicago Style includes two lists of abbreviations for books of the Bible:a traditional abbreviation list and a shorter abbreviation list. Click here to seethe lists of abbreviations. You may use either list, but be consistent throughout your paper. Or if you like, you may check withyour professor to see which form s/he prefers.

Include the name of the version of the Bible you areciting. You may either spell out the name of the version, at least inthe first reference, or you may use abbreviations without preceding or internal punctuation. After the first citation you need to indicate the version only ifyou quote from another version.

[table][tr][td]
Examples of parenthetical reference:
[/td] [td]
Examples of footnote or endnote:
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
(Gen. 12:1-3 Revised Standard Version)
[/td] [td]
1.Ps. 139:13-16 NAB
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
(Jn 3:16-17 RSV)
[/td] [td]
2. Eph 6:10-17
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[sup]1[/sup]Information taken from the Chicago Manual ofStyle, 15[sup]th[/sup] ed., 2003, sections 15.48 - 15.54 and 8.111 - 8.115.

Back
Top Bottom