How do you feel about Jackie Robinson Day?

Dude changed the game of baseball, i hear that alot growing up as a kid. I think he did more then just changed the game, i heard story of him being spit at and just taking it and loving the game. What do ya think?

Dude changed the game of baseball, i hear that alot growing up as a kid. I think he did more then just changed the game, i heard story of him being spit at and just taking it and loving the game. What do ya think?

I think it's good to recognize his contribution to society and the game, but retiring his number league-wide was going overboard.

I think it's good to recognize his contribution to society and the game, but retiring his number league-wide was going overboard.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I'm sure a lot of people beg to differ.  
This man paved the way for black athletes, for all sports.  You really think that something as little as retiring his number league-wide is going overboard? 

The simple fact that every player wanted to wear #42 on JR day, should tell you something. 

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I'm sure a lot of people beg to differ.  
This man paved the way for black athletes, for all sports.  You really think that something as little as retiring his number league-wide is going overboard? 

The simple fact that every player wanted to wear #42 on JR day, should tell you something. 

Originally Posted by dland24

Fleet Walker Day.

Well it is what it is I guess.  
laugh.gif

If you are talking non-modern day baseball. 

He didnt just pave the way for athletes, He helped spearhead our civil rights movement.

Without his contribution,  it would have taken much longer to stand on equal footing. Sports usually takes the lead when it comes to views by america, and Baseballs eventual  acceptance of Robinson was tremendous. His platform was the biggest Sport in America and his vehicle was equal rights. thats MAJOR.
 Jackie was a vocal member of the NAACP

robinson_king.jpg

As a teenager in 1947 he watched with rapt attention as Jackie Robinson broke the racial barrier in major league baseball. A decade later, as Robinson's career was winding down with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Robinson started to speak out for civil rights. Many people in the press and civil rights community discouraged Robinson from taking this step, worried it would tarnish his image, and even argued that as an athlete Robinson had no vocal place in the struggle. But King, by then the movement's undisputed leader, said that Robinson had every right to speak because he was "... a pilgrim that walked in the lonesome byways toward the high road of Freedom. He was a sit-inner before sit-ins, a freedom rider before freedom rides."

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Dude did a lot for black athletes but dude was an informant for HUAC.

It was at this point that Jackie became more outspoken (it helped, having his Branch Rickey-enforced, two-year gag order recently removed) and more politically active. In front of HUAC, when asked if this is how the African-American community felt, he said:
The white public should start toward real understanding by appreciating that every single Negro who is worth his salt is going to resent any kind of slurs and discrimination because of his race, and he's going to use every bit of intelligence...to stop it...The more a Negro hates Communism because it opposes democracy, the more he is going to hate any other influence that kills off democracy in this country-and that goes for racial discrimination....
Robinson wanted the committee to know that the African-American community would fight Communism and Fascism, but that they would also fight racism at home (ala the "Double V" campaign), and that it sets a double standard for an African-American to fight to protect a government that protects people who oppress them. He went on to say:
Just because Communists kick up a big fuss over racial discrimination when it suits their purposes, a lot of people try to pretend that the whole issue is a creation of Communist imagination. But they are not fooling anyone with this kind of pretense, and talk about "Communists stirring up Negroes to protest," only makes present misunderstanding worse than ever. Negroes were stirred up long before there was a Communist Party, and they'll stay stirred up long after the party has disappeared-unless Jim Crow has disappeared by then as well.

This was certainly not the testimony that HUAC was expecting to hear. Jackie was speaking out against the government with such vitriolic language. He was clearly upset with racism and oppression, as well as the redbaiting that HUAC conducts. Although the committee thanked Robinson , they could have been none too pleased with his aggressive statements. His reception in the press was one of the "talking dog" . They thought it was interesting that Robinson was discussing political ideas, but their interest in what he had to say was secondary. It is similar to Shirley Temple becoming a U.S. Ambassador. They find it an oddity that a celebrity is an ambassador, and care nothing of what it would mean with U.S. relations with Ghana.

He didnt just pave the way for athletes, He helped spearhead our civil rights movement.

Without his contribution,  it would have taken much longer to stand on equal footing. Sports usually takes the lead when it comes to views by america, and Baseballs eventual  acceptance of Robinson was tremendous. His platform was the biggest Sport in America and his vehicle was equal rights. thats MAJOR.
 Jackie was a vocal member of the NAACP

robinson_king.jpg

As a teenager in 1947 he watched with rapt attention as Jackie Robinson broke the racial barrier in major league baseball. A decade later, as Robinson's career was winding down with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Robinson started to speak out for civil rights. Many people in the press and civil rights community discouraged Robinson from taking this step, worried it would tarnish his image, and even argued that as an athlete Robinson had no vocal place in the struggle. But King, by then the movement's undisputed leader, said that Robinson had every right to speak because he was "... a pilgrim that walked in the lonesome byways toward the high road of Freedom. He was a sit-inner before sit-ins, a freedom rider before freedom rides."

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Dude did a lot for black athletes but dude was an informant for HUAC.

It was at this point that Jackie became more outspoken (it helped, having his Branch Rickey-enforced, two-year gag order recently removed) and more politically active. In front of HUAC, when asked if this is how the African-American community felt, he said:
The white public should start toward real understanding by appreciating that every single Negro who is worth his salt is going to resent any kind of slurs and discrimination because of his race, and he's going to use every bit of intelligence...to stop it...The more a Negro hates Communism because it opposes democracy, the more he is going to hate any other influence that kills off democracy in this country-and that goes for racial discrimination....
Robinson wanted the committee to know that the African-American community would fight Communism and Fascism, but that they would also fight racism at home (ala the "Double V" campaign), and that it sets a double standard for an African-American to fight to protect a government that protects people who oppress them. He went on to say:
Just because Communists kick up a big fuss over racial discrimination when it suits their purposes, a lot of people try to pretend that the whole issue is a creation of Communist imagination. But they are not fooling anyone with this kind of pretense, and talk about "Communists stirring up Negroes to protest," only makes present misunderstanding worse than ever. Negroes were stirred up long before there was a Communist Party, and they'll stay stirred up long after the party has disappeared-unless Jim Crow has disappeared by then as well.

This was certainly not the testimony that HUAC was expecting to hear. Jackie was speaking out against the government with such vitriolic language. He was clearly upset with racism and oppression, as well as the redbaiting that HUAC conducts. Although the committee thanked Robinson , they could have been none too pleased with his aggressive statements. His reception in the press was one of the "talking dog" . They thought it was interesting that Robinson was discussing political ideas, but their interest in what he had to say was secondary. It is similar to Shirley Temple becoming a U.S. Ambassador. They find it an oddity that a celebrity is an ambassador, and care nothing of what it would mean with U.S. relations with Ghana.

I was thoroughly ridiculed at Dodger Stadium one year during Jackie Robinson Day. They paraded out that $@$ clown Bud Selig to introduce Jackie's wife, so I got up to boo the hell outta that bum. Mentally challenged Dodger fans thought I was booing Jackie's wife and let me have it.

I was thoroughly ridiculed at Dodger Stadium one year during Jackie Robinson Day. They paraded out that $@$ clown Bud Selig to introduce Jackie's wife, so I got up to boo the hell outta that bum. Mentally challenged Dodger fans thought I was booing Jackie's wife and let me have it.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

im all for booing Selig but you didnt see that coming?
laugh.gif

and on topic, i think Jackie Robinson day should be a bigger deal than it is.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

laugh.gif

agree on both sentiments

Back
Top Bottom