How do you feel about Jackie Robinson Day?

*salutes GUNNA

My lasting thought about Jackie is his perseverance. That's a quality I look to improve on, and with Jackie, it's funny how people like to think he was welcomed in just because Rickey and the Dodgers said so. Hell, not even 'the Dodgers', because there were definitely TEAMMATES that were against him being brought into the majors. But nah, people want to act like he was welcomed with open arms, ushered into choruses of praise and rounds of applause.

Quite the opposite, including from his own teammates. How many of you could stand with the support of VERY FEW as you changed history? Shoot, you can't even handle someone talking sideways on a damn message board; imagine being spit at.

You're right, GUNNA, he was humble to a fault... but that's what perseverance is, imo, and I wish I had more of his inner strength.

I love Jackie Robinson day...

... and since this is NikeTalk, I have to say Nike did a great job on these a couple years back
laugh.gif
:

*salutes GUNNA

My lasting thought about Jackie is his perseverance. That's a quality I look to improve on, and with Jackie, it's funny how people like to think he was welcomed in just because Rickey and the Dodgers said so. Hell, not even 'the Dodgers', because there were definitely TEAMMATES that were against him being brought into the majors. But nah, people want to act like he was welcomed with open arms, ushered into choruses of praise and rounds of applause.

Quite the opposite, including from his own teammates. How many of you could stand with the support of VERY FEW as you changed history? Shoot, you can't even handle someone talking sideways on a damn message board; imagine being spit at.

You're right, GUNNA, he was humble to a fault... but that's what perseverance is, imo, and I wish I had more of his inner strength.

I love Jackie Robinson day...

... and since this is NikeTalk, I have to say Nike did a great job on these a couple years back
laugh.gif
:

Here's mine
e9c2561edebee72b3b1517d87d0b4fca16772cc.jpg

Jackie did a LOT that stretches beyond sports, for this he's appreciated.

The small sidenote that he was a Dodger doesn't hurt either
smile.gif

Here's mine
e9c2561edebee72b3b1517d87d0b4fca16772cc.jpg

Jackie did a LOT that stretches beyond sports, for this he's appreciated.

The small sidenote that he was a Dodger doesn't hurt either
smile.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

U may have to watch a documentary on Jackie. theres a reason Branch rickey chose him. He was humble to a fault imo.

someone else of lesser character wouldnt have handled things as well as he.

there were far better players in the Negro Leagues than him, Jackie wasnt just in the right place in the right time.

good point.  i forgot to mention in my post that character was probably a big factor as well.  the situation would've been hard for anyone to handle and there weren't any guidelines on how to deal with it.

U may have to watch a documentary on Jackie. theres a reason Branch rickey chose him. He was humble to a fault imo.

there were far better players in the Negro Leagues than him, Jackie wasnt just in the right place in the right time.

good point.  i forgot to mention in my post that character was probably a big factor as well.  the situation would've been hard for anyone to handle and there weren't any guidelines on how to deal with it.

I hope this doesn't sound off-base...but here's what I was thinking....I caught a little bit of the interviews w. some of the black players on ESPN last night when speaking about what Jackie Robinson meant to them. Pretty much you know what they're going to say about how important it was for Robinson to break the color barrier. It's the same stuff every year from ESPN. That being said, I wish they would have interviewed some white players like Tulo, Chipper Jones, etc. and asked them about Jackie Robinson's contributions to the game of baseball. Of course they would probably give a PC answer, but it would be good of ESPN to get some other viewpoints as well. They did interview Mo Rivera, but it was moreso along the lines of him being one of (if not the) last player to wear #42 on a daily basis....

I hope this doesn't sound off-base...but here's what I was thinking....I caught a little bit of the interviews w. some of the black players on ESPN last night when speaking about what Jackie Robinson meant to them. Pretty much you know what they're going to say about how important it was for Robinson to break the color barrier. It's the same stuff every year from ESPN. That being said, I wish they would have interviewed some white players like Tulo, Chipper Jones, etc. and asked them about Jackie Robinson's contributions to the game of baseball. Of course they would probably give a PC answer, but it would be good of ESPN to get some other viewpoints as well. They did interview Mo Rivera, but it was moreso along the lines of him being one of (if not the) last player to wear #42 on a daily basis....

They've interviewed Mo lots of times in the past. More on YES or MSG back in the day I suppose, so it probably wasn't seen by a lot of folks. Anyway, he's always said that it is an extreme honor to carry his number and put the #42 on everyday.

I feel a little more should be done to recognize it and make it more known to common fans of the day and what it means to a lot of minority players. I was at the Yankee game yesterday and heard more than a fair share of people ask either "why is everyone wearing #42?" or "I didn't know it was Jackie Robinson day."

They've interviewed Mo lots of times in the past. More on YES or MSG back in the day I suppose, so it probably wasn't seen by a lot of folks. Anyway, he's always said that it is an extreme honor to carry his number and put the #42 on everyday.

I feel a little more should be done to recognize it and make it more known to common fans of the day and what it means to a lot of minority players. I was at the Yankee game yesterday and heard more than a fair share of people ask either "why is everyone wearing #42?" or "I didn't know it was Jackie Robinson day."

I somewhat disagree on the statement that someone of lesser character would've handled things different than Jackie. I feel that Jackie was "non-threatening" in the eyes of the white owners of that time, meaning he would'a tolerated alot more bs than some of his Negro League counterparts would have. That didn't make the other Negro League players bad people though..

I somewhat disagree on the statement that someone of lesser character would've handled things different than Jackie. I feel that Jackie was "non-threatening" in the eyes of the white owners of that time, meaning he would'a tolerated alot more bs than some of his Negro League counterparts would have. That didn't make the other Negro League players bad people though..

the man who paved the way for minorities in all sports
pimp.gif

much kudos to him, a league wide retirement of 42 is fine

the man who paved the way for minorities in all sports
pimp.gif

much kudos to him, a league wide retirement of 42 is fine

I have no problem with Jackie Robinson Day. I am humbled and grateful for his sacrifice.

I have no problem with Jackie Robinson Day. I am humbled and grateful for his sacrifice.

Most important athlete in American history, also might be the best athlete ever.  Dude's worst sport was baseball, think about that for a second.

Most important athlete in American history, also might be the best athlete ever.  Dude's worst sport was baseball, think about that for a second.

Back
Top Bottom