How do you keep in touch with people (srs)

After college you graduate and there are friends and professors you'll never see again. Or coworkers who you were really cool with who leave the job.

These connections might be real useful later but it sucks because you don't want to hit someone out of the blue just because you might need help with something but that is what happens 99% of the time

People thinks Facebook keeps them in touch with people but I think it does the opposite....it really creates distance and perverts the close social interaction with another person. It gives you an inside peek into that persons life and prevents you from actually reaching out to see how that person is doing or have a meaningful phone call or planned outing.

But that's another topic.....the art of networking is a lost skill and it takes time and energy to actually think about all these other people you might have met or been meaning to speak to.

A good e-mail exchange is nice.....meeting for drinks/happy hours if you guys work in the same city is good too.

After college you graduate and there are friends and professors you'll never see again. Or coworkers who you were really cool with who leave the job.
These connections might be real useful later but it sucks because you don't want to hit someone out of the blue just because you might need help with something but that is what happens 99% of the time
Linkedin is good b/c you get the professional side of people.

Facebook gives you the social/personal side and for me, I don't care about that. 

I don't...

Almost two months out of college and I only keep up with my former supervisors and a handful of my closest friends from college. Distance sucks.

Op, sounds like you're just using them.

Learn the art of communication. How to call someone to check up on them to see what's new in their life or just to say hello. If you'll live in the same area, drop by and go out to lunch or just chit chat.

Hell, you can even use Facebook. Find an event they've recently gone through and spark up casual conversation that way. It really isn't that hard.

People thinks Facebook keeps them in touch with people but I think it does the opposite....it really creates distance and perverts the close social interaction with another person. It gives you an inside peek into that persons life and prevents you from actually reaching out to see how that person is doing or have a meaningful phone call or planned outing.
But that's another topic.....the art of networking is a lost skill and it takes time and energy to actually think about all these other people you might have met or been meaning to speak to.
A good e-mail exchange is nice.....meeting for drinks/happy hours if you guys work in the same city is good too.
THIS 

Yeah if you were close in school you should have their phone numbers....try and text them or call them every so often, I knew eevrybody in my high school class and only 3 ppl I actually keep in touch with on a regular basis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom