gift minus t. It's not jraphic
laugh.gif
so what about words like Gel and Gene? lol

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by Nawth21

laugh.gif
In reference to the acronym. (graphic interchange format)

Thats just why I say gif with the hard G, I never gave it much thought as to the 'official' pronunciation of it or anything

laugh.gif
In reference to the acronym. (graphic interchange format)

Thats just why I say gif with the hard G, I never gave it much thought as to the 'official' pronunciation of it or anything

laugh.gif
No, GIF stands for Graphic Interchange Format, so shouldn't it be pronounced with a hard *** G from the streets of Compton?

laugh.gif
No, GIF stands for Graphic Interchange Format, so shouldn't it be pronounced with a hard *** G from the streets of Compton?

From Wikipedia:

The creators of the format pronounced GIF with a soft "G", /ˈdʒɪf/, as in "gin". However, another alternative pronunciation uses a hard "G", /ˈɡɪf/, as in "graphics", reflecting the expanded acronym. Both pronunciations are given as correct by the Oxford English Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary.

According to Steve Wilhite, the creator of the GIF format, the original pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and the employees of CompuServe would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials. This pronunciation was also identified by CompuServe in their documentation of a graphics display program called CompuShow.

I pronounce it as "jiff". But my sister always goes on correcting me saying it's like gift without the T.

I pronounce it as "jiff". But my sister always goes on correcting me saying it's like gift without the T.

From Wikipedia:

The creators of the format pronounced GIF with a soft "G", /ˈdʒɪf/, as in "gin". However, another alternative pronunciation uses a hard "G", /ˈɡɪf/, as in "graphics", reflecting the expanded acronym. Both pronunciations are given as correct by the Oxford English Dictionary and the American Heritage Dictionary.

According to Steve Wilhite, the creator of the GIF format, the original pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and the employees of CompuServe would often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spoofing this brand's television commercials. This pronunciation was also identified by CompuServe in their documentation of a graphics display program called CompuShow.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

From Wikipedia:

well there you go lol

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

From Wikipedia:

well there you go lol

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

What?
laugh.gif

GIF is an Acronym for "Graphical Interchange Format"... So I just say G-I-F
If you say GIF as G-I-F, you're treating it as an initialism, like FBI, HTML, etc.
An acronym is a word created from the first letters of each word in a series of words, like NATO, SCUBA, AIDS, etc.
Therefore, GIF would be an acronym deserving pronunciation like a regular word.
Depending on how tough or manly you are, soft dudes say "jif", while us killers and gangsters say "gif".

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

What?
laugh.gif

GIF is an Acronym for "Graphical Interchange Format"... So I just say G-I-F
If you say GIF as G-I-F, you're treating it as an initialism, like FBI, HTML, etc.
An acronym is a word created from the first letters of each word in a series of words, like NATO, SCUBA, AIDS, etc.
Therefore, GIF would be an acronym deserving pronunciation like a regular word.
Depending on how tough or manly you are, soft dudes say "jif", while us killers and gangsters say "gif".

Gift without the t...NY swag all day err day.

And its

Pea - doe - bear.

You Swaggaless goobers.

Gift without the t...NY swag all day err day.

And its

Pea - doe - bear.

You Swaggaless goobers.

Back
Top Bottom