how do you store your sneakers (detailed discussion for very large collections) ...

Sup SCONES been a while man. Is your current setup at an actual storage company? Most of those places advertise climate controlled but really arent. Assumingall are not DS or mabye they are how are they stored? More Info is needed for a proper answer but glad to help.

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

Originally Posted by NikeHolic23

I'm getting to that tipping point also. Granted, I'm only at a little over half of where your collection is, but I've found no better method than to just make room in your house. I'm currently in the process of moving my shoes from walk-in closets to a spare bedroom. I've done the outdoor storage thing temporarily, and it was no good.

Another 'known' NTer who used to have a collection closer to the size of yours also used your method, and had two storage units. I also have a co-worker who uses storage units. I haven't heard complaints from either, but like you, I didn't have the greatest experience. Had a couple pairs yellow that were not THAT old.

I would say to do what you can to make room INDOORS somewhere at your house. Your house will stay at a moderate temperature and won't ever get too humid. Assuming you don't live in like Hawaii or somewhere with a super humid climate.

It is, in fact, the humidity that kills them. Anyone remember the post of someone's '02 Blk/Red VII's that grew mildew/mold???
sick.gif

I thought those were Citrus VII's?
Oh, I don't recall. I just remember they were a fairly recent pair of retros that moisture KILLED.

If it is yellowing that you are concerned about, then I suggest pulling all of the shoes that would yellow over time (i.e. clear soles, all white shoes, etc.)and keep those specific pairs somewhere in your home under close care. The rest of the shoes are probably fine in storage.

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

I'm getting to that tipping point also. Granted, I'm only at a little over half of where your collection is, but I've found no better method than to just make room in your house. I'm currently in the process of moving my shoes from walk-in closets to a spare bedroom. I've done the outdoor storage thing temporarily, and it was no good.

Another 'known' NTer who used to have a collection closer to the size of yours also used your method, and had two storage units. I also have a co-worker who uses storage units. I haven't heard complaints from either, but like you, I didn't have the greatest experience. Had a couple pairs yellow that were not THAT old.

I would say to do what you can to make room INDOORS somewhere at your house. Your house will stay at a moderate temperature and won't ever get too humid. Assuming you don't live in like Hawaii or somewhere with a super humid climate.

It is, in fact, the humidity that kills them. Anyone remember the post of someone's '02 Blk/Red VII's that grew mildew/mold???
sick.gif

I thought those were Citrus VII's?
Oh, I don't recall. I just remember they were a fairly recent pair of retros that moisture KILLED.
Yeap I remember that thread, because it happened to my pair too...I also posted a pic of my Laney V's deteriorating
frown.gif

Originally Posted by scones

Originally Posted by rillo561

JC! 750 pairs?!

well, this is a collection amassed since 1998. say, 750 pairs in 11 years, which is about 70 pairs per year, which is nothing compared to the number of pairs most of you buy in a year ...
pm ucasta.. wait you wear size 10.5 please sell me some O.G Jordans.

750 damn. I'd say I have close to 150 and I just keep them in their OG shoebox when I'm not wearing them.

sick.gif
yes, I have a good feeling that it is the humidity, and only the humidity.
you see, at my air-conditioned storage area, the temperature is fairly constant, and optimum. It varies between 60-70 degrees, day or night.

however, I wish I could say the same for humidity. I have a humidity meter, and I noticed that on any single day, the humidity is lowest at around 65% andhowever, peaks at around 95% (!)

Precisely, I have thought of your idea of having an dedicated indoor storage area. For example, I was thinking of renting a room or warehouse somewhere, boardup all the windows, make sure it is not facing an east-west direction (to avoid the sun's heat). Then install an air-conditioner (for the temperaturecontrol) and install a dehumidifier (for the humidity).

The thing is, I'm concerned that there are more specifics that are unknown to me. I spoke to someone at an art gallery and she talked briefly about thechoice of materials for even the walls of the vault (where the paintings are stored) and specific numbers for temperature and humidity that the vault is keptconstant. Basically the discussion concluded that paintings were kept at 50% humidity, and about 60-65 degress for the temperature.

But recognizing that there differences between the contents of an art gallery and the contents of a sneakerholic's collection, I wanted to find out ifanyone had any prior experience with storing sneakers on such a serious basis.

Like, what temp and humidity should be used ?

Originally Posted by Primavera Vills

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

unlike everyone else on this board, i wear them. No point in buyin kicks if you never use em.
why dont you donate the ones you dont wear? I highly doubt you need all those shoes.

Yup, I wear all my shoes too....I mean sure I wear some a lot more than others due to colors, but I wear my shoes. I'm down to about 40 pairs.
Unfortunately, I am no longer in the stage where I actually like to wear sneakers. Funnily, I don'tshare the same enjoyment as I previously did when I was a lot younger, where I had 1 pair in rotation for each day of 2 whole months. That was enjoyment to me,then. Now asking me to lace up a DS pair does not give me much enjoyment, as much as lacing up a pair of C&Js or Santonis. I guess it comes with the age... thought not that I do not acknowledge that many NTers my age still wear their sneakers.

Havig said that, I still enjoy buying and keeping the sneakers. But storage costs money, and I'm really looking to downgrade my collection by at least 50%over the period of next year (new year resolution).

Originally Posted by shoediniDC

Sup SCONES been a while man. Is your current setup at an actual storage company? Most of those places advertise climate controlled but really arent. Assuming all are not DS or mabye they are how are they stored? More Info is needed for a proper answer but glad to help.
yes you are absolutely right. most places just control the temperature, but controlling humidity (which I assumed came naturally with theair-conditioning) was another matter altogether.

all my pairs are DS. all the worn pairs have been sold, given away, or discarded. I store them in their boxes, with the wrap paper. No ziplocs, no silica gelpackets - I can't imagine opening the ziplocs and changing the silica gel packets once in a while, for 750 pairs of shoes (!)

I did entertain the possibility of using those silica gel containers/buckets, but again, my assumption was that the air-conditioning did the trick (which itapparently did not). In any case, for a collection of this size, I can't also imagine how many silica gel containers I would need to buy, use, and replace.

I need a solution that is industrial-grade, and something that convinces me, scientifically or otherwise, that my collection is protected. In fact, I don'teven mind paying for consultation on this matter; it is that serious and considering how much time and money I havespent on this collection I reckon that the cost of paying for consultation may be a small price to pay ....

I do have pictures of my collection, but I have over 100 pictures to upload. I may post some of these pictures in future, but you see the main point of my postwas not to showcase my collection, because if it were so I would posted this in the showcase forum.

I only stated the size of my collection to give some idea of the daunting task that I am faced with ...

thanks for all the replies so far BTW

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

unlike everyone else on this board, i wear them. No point in buyin kicks if you never use em.

1znopab.jpg

why dont you donate the ones you dont wear? I highly doubt you need all those shoes.

I always thought air conditioned storage rooms were the same thing as humidity controlled.

damn you can wear like a different pair of shoes everyday for like 2 years.

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

eek.gif
and won't the kicks yellow regardless
750 is ridiculous, i would not be able to let kicks sit around and not get worn. imagine, it would take him over 2 years to wear all pairs if hewore a different one everyday

as for yellowing i feel like its an inevitability, but t2dae1's columbias are living proof that kicks can stay freshfor over a decade
pimp.gif

fu19uf.jpg

Originally Posted by scones

I did entertain the possibility of using those silica gel containers/buckets, but again, my assumption was that the air-conditioning did the trick (which it apparently did not). In any case, for a collection of this size, I can't also imagine how many silica gel containers I would need to buy, use, and replace.

FYI, my friend used silica gels for his shoes and he lives in a similar climate location as you and some of his shoes turned yellow. The silica gels did notprevent the yellowing and in fact the silica gel packs actually made an imprint on some of his shoes.

I was wondering if you place your shoes in a plastic zip lock bag?

They're currently just sitting in my computer room...

(pics are a bit old, filled in a bit since then)

931252341f7d6603068727a3b191633e9c1143c.jpg
e5325234417f56b6066752414ff46292849674c.jpg
431355694dcd76df60620b3c78c91ed3bfe7078.jpg

5d925eb4bf7d264b0967214d3349d18fc0c3e80.jpg

Mine are sitting all around my room in the boxes. Then a couple of stacks in my closet.... Its alot of Clutter
smh.gif

To those that say DONATE YOUR SHOES... would you??.. i personally wouldn`t even if i don`t wear em all, especially if spent money on them.. i`d rather sellit... BUT 750 pairs.. damn...
pimp.gif
any size 11 hit me up.... lol

make sure your use a lot of silica packets, one per shoebox at least.

air conditioning moistens the air so you definitely need the silica packs.

Back
Top Bottom