How Good/Bad Will the NBA Western Conference Be Next Season?

With the information that Yao could be out all next season, McGrady can't be traded for immediate talent and Artest probably commanding around a $40 milcontract that could possibly be the end of the Houston Rockets playoff era. That got me thinking about how strong will the Western Conference be and how willthe teams that have been at the top so long fall to let the teams who have been at the bottom so long rise. Although a Yao-less Rockets held tough with theLakers, an entire regular season without Yao and many games out for McGrady probably pushes Houston out of the playoff picture.

If Phoenix does move Stoudamire, they're probably staying out of contention. And it's hard to tell where Dallas is going to be. The Mavericks situationdepends on if they will re-sign Kidd, Josh Howard's health and if they will let Bass walk. The Hornets seem to trip me out every year skipping on key guysin the draft that could really help them out. I don't know how their situation will be this upcoming year as well.

Utah is another team that is very unpredictable at this point. They could very well be on the verge of being a top team in the West when healthy to beingmediocre if they lose Okur, Boozer and Millsap this off-season. I know they would do all they can to keep from losing all 3, but if they keep Millsap they willhave to overpay for him meaning that re-signing Okur would be highly unlikely.

Teams that you can guarentee will be in the playoffs next season are the Lakers, Nuggets, Portland and Spurs. I guess you can throw in New Orleans due to thefact that they haven't lost anybody, but if they are to give up Chandler for an expiring contract that they will definitely be one of the weaker teams inthe playoffs.

How likely would it be that the same 8 teams in the West from last year make the playoffs this year? Also, how likely is it that some of the West bottomfeeders (OKC, MEM, SAC, LAC, MIN, GSW) would be able to take a huge leap similar to Portland did during the 2007 season IF they fill some of their needs thisoff-seaosn?

There's still alot of moves to be made, so certain teams Im sure will be surprises, while others will drop / just get in.

LA, Denver, SA, Portland, Houston, Utah, Dallas, New Orleans are my picks.

IMO, the East will be more fun to watch this year. Cleveland, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Philly will be the teams to look out for (for the most part justlike last season). While there could be some surprises at the bottom of the conference. The east will be closer & more fun to watch from my point of view.

As you pretty much summed up in your post, it's too early to tell what the West will be like next season.

Too many impact players who may sign elsewhere/get traded.

I don't see the same 8 teams in the playoffs next year (New Orleans is the only team I'll name right now), and I don't see any of the "bottomfeeders" you named making a playoff push within the next couple seasons.

West will still be the stronger conference. Just because Houston might have problems doesnt means the whole conference will be bad.

You still have the Lakers, Spurs, and Nuggets. I expect the Blazers, Thunder, and possibly the Jazz and Hornets to have better seasons. Then you also have theMavs, Suns, Rockets, etc..that could make a move.

Assuming nothing catastrophic happens, and everything plays out about as expected (as has been mentioned, it's way too early to tell), it'll be thesame 8 teams in the Western Conference playoffs next year...

Sacramento, Phoenix, Memphis, and Minnesota are FAR too far behind to threaten the other teams right now... Golden State is a nice little Wild Card, but Irefuse to put ANY faith in that team... Oklahoma City will take a big step forward, but not big enough that I think challenging Utah, New Orleans, and Dallasfor one of those last three playoff spots is a real possibility... Houston seems like the likely candidate to take a huge step back if Yao isn't healthy,but even still, I think Oklahoma City is a year away from really making noise in a playoff race...

as of now it is
grin.gif

when the season starts
sick.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

IMO, the East will be more fun to watch this year. Cleveland, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Philly will be the teams to look out for (for the most part just like last season). While there could be some surprises at the bottom of the conference. The east will be closer & more fun to watch from my point of view.

East will be very entertaining. KG back too. Should be a close race between Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando.

Rockets without Yao, not so good.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

I don't see the same 8 teams in the playoffs next year (New Orleans is the only team I'll name right now), and I don't see any of the "bottom feeders" you named making a playoff push within the next couple seasons.
If the Warriors were to get Amare ( i doubt it ), i think they would have a shot to snag that 8th seed

LA depends on Ariza and Odom where they end up.

If Denver doesn't come back with same group intact, they step back a bit.

SA goes back to #2 at worst with their moves

Houston could drop like a stone without Yao, and no damn way in hell Tracy plays 80 games and not sure about Ron just yet.

Portland, right around the same area, I think Jazz pass them by if they retain most of their key guys, that is a big if though.

Utah is HC type team if healthy all year and if all peices stay same. If they lose Boozer, but can keep Milsap, they're fine. If lose both, big probs.

I like Dallas, always have, depends on Kidd, Bass, etc etc. Dirk, Terry and scrubs is good for a 7-8.

NO should stay in the group if they don't trade Chandler for paper bags. Paul only gettin better but he tweaks and ankle and they fightin for the #1 picknext season. Posey, Peja, West, Tyson need to stay on the court with him and they could go from 5-8.

I think the Clippers have a shot to surprise people, but it depends on how quick Blake can get started, and if Baron stays motivated. If they click, this teamjumps up fast.

Thunder are comin, but need more time.

GS, too much in the air right now. They could move up, but need a lot of help. 8 seed wouldn't surprise me too much.

Minny is FAR far far far away.

Memphis could do some work. Not sure how they all pan out, but I could see them sneak up into 9 MAYBE 8 type range. But again, need a lot to go just right.

Phoenix if they keep stat and the rest of what they have could make a run into the 7-8 range. They'll pile up wins against bad teams, and get killed byteams that matter. If Stat is dealt for peanuts, then they won't even have enough to beat bad teams and will drop. I expect him to be dealt at thedeadline though, as maybe Nash, though I hear they want to keep him the face of the team til he retires, so they don't suffer a backlash from fans.

East has 3 top heavy teams though. West has 2 really.

Right now, there's only 5 teams with a sniff at a title, Orld, Bos, Clev, LA, and SA. Thas it.

Would take a big come up for any of the other teams to crack this 5.

Personally i pick the Clippers To make a surprise push to the 8th seed. Assuming everyone is healthy they have Baron, EG, Blake with a supporting cast ofCaveman, Thorton, Camby, Z-bo... I expect them to probably get rid of camby simply because Z-Bo is untradeable.

So I Say
1)Lakers
2)Spurs
3)Nuggets
4)Blazers
5)Hornets
6)Jazz(I Expect Them to lose Boozer)
7)Dallas
glasses.gif
Clippers or Suns( If They don't get Rid of amare which is unlikely)

Don't know as a whole, it's too early for me to predict, but the stupid *$! Spurs will be back around making another run for a Championship. Thatorganization is serious and good at what they do.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

better than the eastern conference. pretty much the way its been since the late 90's

And just like the its been since the late 90s, 10 of the top 15 teams in the NBA are in the west. Maybe more.

Unless the warriors pick up a big time player like a Lebron...the warriors will have to wait another 12 yrs to make the postseason!...so quit with the warriorsmaking a run at a playoff seed nonsense...anyways I think it still could be the same 8 in the west nxt year...the rocks have played well w.o tmac and yao pastseasons so they should be fine

well i think its funny that people think the west is weak now the east has 3 good teams the rest would not be in contention in the west. With that said i thinkeven the top 3 west team would run the top 3 east with the moves SA has made this offseason i think they will be better than orlando it they lose hedo ( LA,DEN, SA > BOS, CLE, ORL). And the rest will continue to fall in with better records to the next level teams in the east.

I see
1. LA
2. SA
3. Den
4. POR
5. NO
6. JAZZ
7. DAL
8. CLIP

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Ok even with out Yao the Rockets are still better than the Clippers
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The Clippers are just good on paper. Until they show me that they can have some team chemistry and stay healthy they will continue to be in the bottom 5 in theWest. It goes to show you how dumb they were holding onto Randolph when Memphis was trying to take him off their hands on draft night.

As for New Orleans, I really see them declining next year. Its just something about that team that I don't like. Peja is getting older and slower. I guessits just all up in the air about them in terms of their frontline staying healthy. Chris Paul literally carries that entire team on his back.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Unless the warriors pick up a big time player like a Lebron...the warriors will have to wait another 12 yrs to make the postseason!...so quit with the warriors making a run at a playoff seed nonsense...anyways I think it still could be the same 8 in the west nxt year...the rocks have played well w.o tmac and yao past seasons so they should be fine
Ladies and gentleman, the first clown of the thread.

Meh..

Spurs are a legit elite team again with the addition of R.Jeff and a stud in Blair, and we all know Bowen and probably Kurt Thomas will be back.
Lakers are the Lakers, they'll still be contenders even if they don't get both Ariza and Odom back.
Hornets may fall off a bit, but they're still a playoff team and has one of the best PG's in the game.
Rockets can beat teams with their superstars out, but I want to see what happens if Artest doesn't come back, I mean Yao and Tracy will be out MOST of nextyear, but I still have faith they can be a good team.
Denver is only going to get better as Chauncey continues to gel with his team, Melo will continue to shine, and this team will be a top four seed next year.Don't sleep on them going all the way next year, I'm not.
The Jazz are good, if Booz leaves, they overpay for Millsap while still being a good team. If Okur leaves too, then we may have an issue.
Blazers are going hunting this off-season for some big names, like a Hedo Turkoglu. They'll be good.
Dallas all depends on what happens with Kidd, if he comes back, we won't be elite, we won't be great, but we'll be decent and we'll still finda way into the post-season, we always do.

That's eight teams there, and OKC will make a bigger jump then most people think IMO, not a Playoff team quite yet, but like the Blazers a few years back,expect the leaps of Jeff Green, Westbrook, and Durant to be HUGE. The Suns are done for unless they make a big splash in the off-season, and trading Shaqisn't the answer. They are no longer an issue. The other teams I don't see as a threat, LAC has too much of a clutter in the front-court, and unlessthey make some damn good trades, they're a few years off still. Memphis doesn't have enough scoring on that team, and they don't have enough forthe two studs to go around, so they're going to have to figure something out.

Originally Posted by SuperVi11ain

no one here thinks okc has a chance for a playoff run???

Not a playoff run. They do have a chance at becoming relevant though. I can see them winning anywhere between 35-40 games. If they win 40 games, Memphiswill win around 35. Memphis still needs to add that low post presence. I do like Millsap/Lee for them, but getting Boozer can do so much for that team.He'll bring leadership, experience and more rebounding. Having Boozer will definitely make Memphis relevant.

OKC has probably the most complete team out of the bottom feeders in the West. Depending on what they do with that money is another thing. Unless Memphis playscan mesh just as well as OKC, the Thunder will have the better team.

I don't know how Dallas makes the playoffs so easy every year.
laugh.gif
I guess its dealing with experience more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom