How important is GPA for Entry Level Positions?

If you don't want to tell us the company, tell us what industry he works in. I'm guessing marketing/sales.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

If you don't want to tell us the company, tell us what industry he works in. I'm guessing marketing/sales.

Yeah I wanna know where I can get away with something like this

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

its irrelevant. and no one is going to tell me otherwise. having a 4.0 is just "cool" like putting a that you skydive on your resume.

You have no idea what you are talking about. 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
Okay buddy. Every I know that has graduated and landed a job not once has been asked about their GPA. It doesn't matter. You got the degree who cares and A doesn't make you any more qualified than a C, your relevant courses, experience, personality, etc is what matters. Now a 4.0 makes you stand out but it isn't making you any more qualified which is why I used the sky diving reference. I been touching up on my resume for the past month design and info to stand out rather than a bland list of credentials with no flavor and I noticed on a few cases where hobbies whether they relate to your field or not can be a + thus the sky diving reference. So go ahead enlighten me where I'm clueless.

its irrelevant. and no one is going to tell me otherwise. having a 4.0 is just "cool" like putting a that you skydive on your resume.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
Okay buddy. Every I know that has graduated and landed a job not once has been asked about their GPA. It doesn't matter. You got the degree who cares and A doesn't make you any more qualified than a C, your relevant courses, experience, personality, etc is what matters. Now a 4.0 makes you stand out but it isn't making you any more qualified which is why I used the sky diving reference. I been touching up on my resume for the past month design and info to stand out rather than a bland list of credentials with no flavor and I noticed on a few cases where hobbies whether they relate to your field or not can be a + thus the sky diving reference. So go ahead enlighten me where I'm clueless.

Name the most prestigious job a person you know has landed out of college. 

A lot of mixed responses here...I'm just going to go with the fact that I got as far as a face to face interview and do my best to pass that computer test.

If they ask for my gpa I'm not going to resort to lying I think that will make it worse.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
GPA is the main factor behind getting a high profile job. I've killed almost every interview I've been on in my opinion and I only got one offer which was rescinded. I've lost out on jobs to people who are flat out sticks in the mud simply because they have better GPAs and I've gotten that straight from the recruiters because when I dont get the job I make it my business to know why. I also have relevant internship experience, 3 of them in fact. Not saying you cant make it with a low one but a good GPA is the killer

Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim

It's a tax consulting firm. It's in Irvine, CA.

If I'm not mistaken, especially at companies that receive a ton of applicants, GPA would be something they would use to weed out some candidates. They can't spend their time reading through tons of resumes just to find some unique qualities about some applicants. So GPA is one of the easier things to provide some type of parameters while going through resumes. (Could be wrong though)

Do know from my current college experience, depending on your major, a good GPA will get you into some programs that will you give you a huge edge into getting more prestigious internships, etc. (Business/Accounting/Finance,etc.)

Originally Posted by hpscots0906

If I'm not mistaken, especially at companies that receive a ton of applicants, GPA would be something they would use to weed out some candidates. They can't spend their time reading through tons of resumes just to find some unique qualities about some applicants. So GPA is one of the easier things to provide some type of parameters while going through resumes. (Could be wrong though)

Do know from my current college experience, depending on your major, a good GPA will get you into some programs that will you give you a huge edge into getting more prestigious internships, etc. (Business/Accounting/Finance,etc.)
Dont be mistaken this is an absolute fact. If you dont meet the GPA cutoff on the app they dont even read it.

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif

What the hell is a prestigious job?  I don't know their specific titles but working in an ad agency in new york, another a part of fox media planning. But why don't you give me some information based on YOUR experiences.  You graduate at about 21. Your not just jumping straight to the top of the food chain. So what say at age 25... your still putting your GPA in your resume as opposed to relevant work skills you've done in the last 4 years
roll.gif
Are you a college graduate? Whats your prestigious job? How many interviews have asked you about your GPA.

Anybody who doesn't think GPA is relevant and important, probably doesn't have a very high one I would presume....

Saying a high GPA doesn't positively correlate to landing a job, is like your PPG avg has no bearing on winning a scoring title.  Come on guys. 

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Accountant I assume then?
Good for him. He must have been a self-learner and a quick one at that to get through those interviews and not be terrible at his job. Accounting takes a lot of skill and practice. Talk about an outlier. 
Too bad he won't be able to get his CPA and advance in his career. 

GPA is important, but I know people who landed a job (starting pay 40k) with a 2.4~ GPA.
So it's not impossible.
But Having a 4.0, or a 3.8< looks damn good. And you will get hired over everyone else.
It shows that you are focused and driven. It shows you know how to do %%%* and get %%%* done.

To the OP, I'd say just be confident.
You just have to show them that you are capable, willing, and driven to succeed.

indifferent.gif
eyes.gif

What the hell is a prestigious job?  I don't know their specific titles but working in an ad agency in new york, another a part of fox media planning. But why don't you give me some information based on YOUR experiences.  You graduate at about 21. Your not just jumping straight to the top of the food chain. So what say at age 25... your still putting your GPA in your resume as opposed to relevant work skills you've done in the last 4 years
roll.gif
Are you a college graduate? Whats your prestigious job? How many interviews have asked you about your GPA.
Every job interview I had was through my school's career service. The job description and application instructions directly stated you need so and so GPA to interview. Let's say for something like McKinsey. You need a 3.7 just to be considered, IIRC. Investment Banking? 3.5 is min damn near everywhere. Heck some places even ask for your standarized test scores.  Teach For America? 3.5 is competitive. It's very competitive out there. I don't know where you went to school but I went to a good one and it was a lot more difficult to find work if your GPA wasn't at least a 3.0.
People do directly jump into a great job because of their GPA. Strong GPA----> top internships----> top jobs. 

At age 25, no. GPA doesn't matter much. I thought we were talking about entry level positions. I must have misread the title. 

roll.gif
Every job interview I had was through my school's career service. The job description and application instructions directly stated you need so and so GPA to interview. Let's say for something like McKinsey. You need a 3.7 just to be considered, IIRC. Investment Banking? 3.5 is min damn near everywhere. Heck some places even ask for your standarized test scores.  Teach For America? 3.5 is competitive. It's very competitive out there. I don't know where you went to school but I went to a good one and it was a lot more difficult to find work if your GPA wasn't at least a 3.0.
People do directly jump into a great job because of their GPA. Strong GPA----> top internships----> top jobs. 

At age 25, no. GPA doesn't matter much. I thought we were talking about entry level positions. I must have misread the title. 

This guy knows. If you dont mind what do you do now?

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Accountant I assume then?
Good for him. He must have been a self-learner and a quick one at that to get through those interviews and not be terrible at his job. Accounting takes a lot of skill and practice. Talk about an outlier. 
Too bad he won't be able to get his CPA and advance in his career. 
Yeah he's more of a friend of a friend...I dont know much but I am astounded he was able to get away with it...

U know me, I'm just a lowly sports writer 
pimp.gif

[h3]
How important is GPA for Entry Level Positions?
[/h3]0

and it shouldn't matter for any higher ones.

if you can't do the work then you can't, plain and simple. you can have a 4.0 and still fail miserably at the workplace.

imo, this is why we have so much turds at the workplace. some of these bookworms excelled in school but didn't really translate well in real life...and the people who were involved in the hiring process were just impressed by paper
sick.gif
tired.gif

roll.gif

Bingo.

gpa in most entry level positions doesnt matter. as long as you can hold a conversation and show some sort of critical thinking you are ahead of the majority and should get a second/third interview, after that show up prepared/look good/SMILE and you should be fine

Originally Posted by The Wizard

roll.gif

Bingo.
Co-sign.
A main reason why I was even considered for entry-level accounting positions at Big 4 firms was because of my GPA. I graduated with a 3.7, Magna Cum Laude of my class, ended up with three offers, and they all pay well right out of college.

I wouldn't consider even mentioning GPA or even headlining it in your resume. It can come off as fraudulent even if it's true, because chances are they're not gonna check.

GPA Matters, atleast in competitive fields. How else are they going to judge you if you have no prior work experience? Also, certain companies will be looking for MS or PhD degrees, and you'll be hard pressed to get into a good graduate school if you have a 2.0 GPA.

People who say, "What does GPA prove?," are just making excuses for themselves and probably have crappy GPAs. It is hard as hell to maintain a 3.5+ GPA in a difficult major.

roll.gif

This guy knows. If you dont mind what do you do now?
Yup

Investment Banking
Management Consulting

Goodluck landing these prestigious jobs with low GPAs. Even most F100 companies will ask for GPAs.
If you want to make 6 figures quickly, you need the proper pedigree.

What does GPA prove? Nothing. People cheat.

But this is where GPA adds value to an industry:
GPA is a screening tool.

Let's say there are 10,000 people that want to work for 8 companies. These 8 companies have 1,000 collective spots. GPA is just a screening tool to thin the ranks, along with school name, major, work experience, etc. There's no point in intervewing 10,000 people when you can interview 2,000.

If you want a 30k/year job out of undergrad, I doubt those guys will be checking your GPA...but the big boys...nah. You need pedigree and stats.

Originally Posted by d5

My GPA is crap but yet I still hustled to graduate with an Economics degree and I have my Associates if that even matters.

I recently got a call back from this nice marketing research company and I got called in for an interview.  Overall, I have no experience in marketing and only some experience in banking.  I'm afraid their actually going to ask me my GPA which is going to be a real let down.  They said they would make me do some computer tests at the interview (not really specific on what kind.)

Since I made it as far as the face to face interview I'm thinking about charming the hell out of the HR director and be as professional as I can be.

Thoughts? 

Good luck getting a job in banking or marketing.

Back
Top Bottom