How long will modern Jordans last playing ball?

Back in the day, in junior high and high school, I'd wear basketball shoes for everything not just basketball and I'd usually wear them to the ground.

Now, I use basketball shoes exclusively for basketball and I'm wondering at what point should I replace them. I found this article that recommended changing them every 70 hours or so

http://www.aapsm.org/mlbball.html

That seems quite frequent but I could do it if I had to. I play 3 times a week and about 1.5 hours each time so at that rate I'd need to change them every 3 to 4 months.

Does that sound right or are they overly conservative in their 70 hours estimate?

I use the following shoes for playing

6 x XX8- indoor only due to fragility

3 x XXXI outdoor only

1 x XXXII indoor/outdoor

I do intend to buy the upcoming XVIII and play in them as well if they have the same set up as the originals.

Last edited:
I thought it was a bit excessive too but the article claims that beyond 70 hours the cushion is worn out too much and the upper starts to stretch.

70 hours is probably not too far off. I don’t play much ball these days but I have to replace my running shoes every 200 miles or so. I average like 8 min/mile so that’s about 27 hours of use.
I know it’s not a completely fair comparison and I think with basketball you should be able to get more than that since you’re not constantly pounding on specific areas of the shoe like in running.
I would think that by ~100 hours your shoes will be pretty worn out but it depends on the materials too.

I think that 70 hour estimate is fair, but if it's considered actual game-time. Like I would count it as if I am at the gym 1.5 hours, I'm probably on the court hooping for 50-60 minutes, with down-time such as breaks, wins, losses, waiting for next taken into consideration.

Like most here, I probably have too many hoop shoes to worry about ever getting to the end of their lifespan, unless I do like I did when I was younger and wear them for everything.

Back
Top Bottom