How many of y'all have stretched the truth on your resume?

I've been asking fairly successful people how I can make myself more marketable for job opportunities coming fresh out of college and basically all I've been told is to "stretch the truth, lie, then stretch the truth some more".

So for those of you who are gainfully employed, how many ducktales have you told on your resume?

Dry snitching thread in disguise 
laugh.gif

I think everyone does. Not necessarily lie, but stretching the truth to make yourself marketable to the position you're applying for, ie different resumes for different jobs w/ the same experiences, just different things highlighted.

I remember reading an article somewhere that 99% of people admitted to lying on their resume at least once. I am the 99%. It wasnt anything too serious just overstated my Microsoft Excel skills, I dont even use excel at my job but I'm taking a class on it in the event that I ever have to do macros and pivot tables and it comes back to bite me in the butt.

I havent had the heart to flat out lie on it, but I was curious about it to see how far I could get riding a lie and if I would have ever gotten found out. Seems like you can get away with it pretty easily word to Slade Wilson.

Definitely have and most people do. If you do it, just be smart about it and make sure it's not something specific that will be required for the job your applying for.

I remember reading an article somewhere that 99% of people admitted to lying on their resume at least once. I am the 99%. It wasnt anything too serious just overstated my Microsoft Excel skills, I dont even use excel at my job but I'm taking a class on it in the event that I ever have to do macros and pivot tables and it comes back to bite me in the butt.

I havent had the heart to flat out lie on it, but I was curious about it to see how far I could get riding a lie and if I would have ever gotten found out. Seems like you can get away with it pretty easily word to Slade Wilson.

have you seen my skillz
if you cant lie you get no job or interview , dont be stupid and think their gonna call you , stay working at mcdonalds

Technical Summary:
PC, Windows XP, Windows 2000 Windows 7, Active Directory, Remedy, Windows 2007 server, Medical Manager,
SUNRISE SCM 5.0, Mac, Blackberry Enterprise Server, Windows Vista, Unix, Oracle, SQL 2000, SQL, PL/SQL, FileMaker,
Access, QA Partner, MS Expression Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Flex 2, MXML, JavaScript, XML, HTML, Ajax
Extension

• Designed, implemented and maintained Windows NT, Windows 2000, Peer-To-Peer, and Netware local area networks
for clients varying in size and complexity
• Active Directory installation and configuration, DNS, WINS, DHCP, IIS, group policies and VPN support
• Installed, maintained and performed disaster recovery of Microsoft Exchange mail servers including OWA and support for
email clients such as Outlook 98/2000/2002
• Installed and maintained Citrix Metaframe servers for various clients and implemented Win-Terminal as well as software
based Citrix clients
• PC/Desktop support including software and hardware troubleshooting/maintenance
• Cisco, Flowpoint, Cayman, Netopia, SMC, 3COM and Linksys router installation, configuration and troubleshooting
• Cisco PIX, Sonicwall and Netscreen firewall installation, configuration and troubleshooting
• Switch/hub installation, configuration, and troubleshooting
• Network and stand alone printer/plotter installation, configuration, and troubleshooting
• Performed security audits for clients and made recommendations
• Assisted other team members with difficult problems on a daily basis
• Provided Deskside support for 100+ users using Windows NT and Windows 2000
• Created 11, redesigned 5, and maintained 12 department sites (as of 1/2004).
• Created HTML for 2 global style changes to VSU web site.
• Designed 4 models for style changes.
• Design and implement web pages and templates using Dreamweaver, Notepad, shell access (VI), and HTML 4.01
Transitional.
• Install, maintain, and upgrade Solaris (11 systems) and Windows 2000 Server (1 system) software
• Frequently compile Apache web servers for SunOS with PHP, mySQL, and modSSL for special projects
• Locate, test, and implement other support software such as web server log analysis, search engine, broken link checker,
and web database interfaces
• Manage accounts and group permissions to web site spaces.
Environment : PC, Mac, MS Expression Studio, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Flex 2, MXML, JavaScript, XML, HTML, Ajax
Extension

Certifications

MCSE , Cisco CCNA , Comptia A +, Network +, C-TECH (Network cabling certification for Cat 3 &5 and Fiber Optics)

I did, until I added a bunch of extracurriculars and semi-relevant work experience.

Just join more student organizations related to your major & get a position in those organizations (Prez, VP, secretary, etc) and accomplish something in that position so that you can add that on your resume too.

Last edited:

I am the 1% that hasn't. Feels good. 
pimp.gif

I haven't stretched the truth on any resume I have done. I'll be starting a new job on the 4th. It feels good when someone gives you a chance, whether you're under qualified or over qualified.

Thing is.. do you actually know these things? Or just intend to google every scenario in which you are met with at work? I will admit. Certain jargon will certainly get you interviewed in IT.. but you have to understand.. IT jobs initially are almost always auditions for the *actual* position in the first 90 days. I imagine that you switch companies quite often, and likely currently work as a contractor at your current place of business?

Aside from that, if your abilities are found to be lacking, you will be replaced quickly and easily, making the interview process far more stringent at that particular company moving forward. And lastly.. use caution loading up your resume with things you cant backup during an interview.. you never know what someone will spring on you, and you'd hate to be looking dumb and wasting both their time and yours, just to ******** your way into a job that you will end up holding for 4 months.

laugh.gif
He has arrived. Time to subscribe to this thread. More pictures and rolling smileys this time around please.

I am the 1% that hasn't. Feels good. 
pimp.gif
Yeah its not a point of pride or anything, I know how to use advanced Excel skills but nowhere near as good as my resume would make it seem. Props to you and others who havent at all.
I haven't stretched the truth on any resume I have done. I'll be starting a new job on the 4th. It feels good when someone gives you a chance, whether you're under qualified or over qualified.
This too. Always gotta be grateful to people who will just give you a chance just cause they can see that you want it.

Back
Top Bottom